Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drivermark
    • May 2015

4 Speeds and Gear ratios

Let's see if I can word this in a way that makes sense.

First a little background: I have an 85 Softail that at the moment the transmission is out and opened up. I have been wondering if it would be worthwhile since I am already this far into it to change the first gear to the lower FL ratio 1st gear and then either use a larger trans sprocket or smaller rear wheel sprocket to lower the cruising speed RPMs without losing too much on the bottom end.

The reasoning (in my head anyway) is that everyone I ride with has a 100 ci engine or larger. My thinking is that this type of change would make it easier for the little 80 in. I got to keep up with the bigger engines in the newer bikes I ride with.

Now the question I have is: Is this feasible, or even possible, OR... Do I just have my head in my ass?
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Gotta have a strong motor to pull tall gearing ...
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• drivermark
      • May 2015

It's built up a little from stock but it's no racing beast. 10:1 wiseco pistons, EV27 cam, S&S Super E, nothing spectacular but a little more oomph than stock.
      Not really try to jack it up too much, just really trying to drop cruising rpm a bit. Chasing all the other guys running @ 85-90 she just seems too be wound up a little high.
      was just thinking of a 24 or 25 tooth trans sprocket OR a 48 or 49 tooth rear sprocket. Nothing too wild

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

23/48 is definitely doable. My FXWG, with box stock evo is running that ratio, with the FXE gearset.

If you make the front sprocket large, the chain will eat into the inner primary and starter gear housing, try as you might to keep the chain adjusted.

Jim

Comment

• drivermark
          • May 2015

Thanks Jim, good to know.

Comment

• jdmboyd
            • Apr 2018

Jim's right, it's bound to chew things up.

That said, I'm a dope and running 26/45 on my '80 FLH. Not beating anyone off the line but high speed is nice w/o the motor staining and feeling like it's ready to explode.

At some point I'll need to replace the inner primary and starter gear housing as Jim says. I'm liking it now, though.

Here's a crazy thought: Does anyone build a planetary OD in the rear wheel? I know, lots more complicated than just having a 5th gear that's OD, but curious.

John

Comment

• drivermark
              • May 2015

I just happened to read in Easyriders Tips and Tricks #1 an article about that (the chain chewing up the starter gear housing) called "How not to Score" you can find a PDF at the link below the article is on page 129 I believe. It has a tip on how to avoid that.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

The biggest problem with larger sprockets is O ring chains............. I will NEVER run one........

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

I used some silicone and glued a thick, plastic, case saver to the bottom of the starter area on the inner primary.

They work pretty well.

Comment

• drivermark
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    The biggest problem with larger sprockets is O ring chains............. I will NEVER run one........
                    What's the deal with the O-ring chains? Are they bigger somehow (I've never looked at one)

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	tech-papers-24.gif
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1319605

Harley-Davidson Big Twin Gear Ratios

To use this Chart
                      This Chart gives over-all gear ratios (in 4th gear) for all 1936-* 4 speed big twin transmissions.
                      "Motor-Trans" are engine & countershaft sprocket tooth counts, respectively.
                      Assumptions made are: rear tire diameter: 26", std. clutch drum: 37 tooth, std. rear sprocket: 51 tooth.

reference for assumed 26" tire diameter:

Common Motorcycle Tire Sizes Chart

The following chart shows some common tire sizes, including their width and the diameter.."

To most people, the numbers and letters on the side of their tires are cryptic and indecipherable. These motorcycle tire sizes comparison charts below will help you understand the codes on the side of your tires to be sure you know which tires you are currently using, and which others will fit your motorcycle. The motorcycle tire size will also indicate what size rim strip and motorcycle inner tube is needed. Rim strips are rubber strips that go around the rim, covering the inside edges of the spokes, before the tire is mounted. They help protect the inner tube from a potential puncture from continual wear against the spokes. Inner tubes are common, though tires are also run without tubes on many modern motorcycles with mag wheels. How to Read Motorcycle Tire Sizes? Typical Tire Markings A- Tire width B- Aspect Ratio. The smaller the number the lower profile of the tire. In metric this is a ratio between height and width. ex. A 170/80 means the width is 170mm, and the height would be 80% of that. ) C- Rim diameter D- Load capacity E- Tire speed rating (ex. S=112mph, H=130mph, V=149mph, W=168mph) F- Tubeless (TL) or Tube Type (TT) tire. Explaining Motorcycle Tire Sizes Size may be indicated in inches, metric, or by letters (alpha). It is helpful to know how these compare with each other so you can compare different brands of tires and see which might be the best fit for your bike. This chart shows the approximate comparison of the different size indicators. Motorcycle Street Tire Sizes Conversion Chart Inch 2.75 / 3.00 3.25 3.50 3.75 / 4.00 4.25 / 4.50 5.00 / 5.10 5.50 6.00 Metric 80 90 100 110 120 130 140 150 Alpha MH MJ MM MN/MP MR MT MU MV   Motorcycle Tire Sizes Rim Width Chart British motorcycle rims (Triumph, BSA, Norton etc.) are marked with a letter and number designation. This is helpful to know what tires you can mount on your rim based on the manufacturer's specs. WM0 WM1 WM2 WM3 1.50 inches 1.60 inches 1.85 inches 2.10 inches     Common Motorcycle Tire Sizes Chart The following chart shows some common tire sizes, including their width and the diameter. Very handy when choosing which tire will fit your bike, or which motorcycle rear fender to buy to fit the tire you want to run on your new build! This is just a small selection of the wide array of cool motorcycle tires we stock and ship daily. Brand Size Width (inches) Diameter (inches) Avon Safety Mileage MKII 5.00-16 5.2 26.3 Avon Safety Mileage MKII 4.00-18 4.4 26.7 Avon Safety Mileage MKII 4.00-19 4.3 27.6 Dunlop D401 130/90-16 5.1 25.4 Dunlop D404 130/90-16 5.1 25.4 Dunlop K70 4.00-18 4.17 26.73 Duro HF302 5.10-16 5.3 25 Firestone Deluxe Champion 4.00-18 4.25 26.6 Firestone Deluxe Champion 4.00-19 4.25 27.6 Firestone Deluxe Champion 4.50-18 4.84 27.4 Firestone Deluxe Champion 5.00-16 5.35 26.4     Here are real-world photo examples of motorcycle tire markings: Firestone Deluxe Champion 5.00-16 Duro Tire 3.50-19 57H Tube Type Duro 3.50-18 56P Tube Type Motorcycle Tire Dunlop Gold Seal K70 4.00-18 Tube Type Motorcycle Tire Avon Speed Master II 3.00-21 R Tube Type Motorcycle Tire Coker Motorcycle Tire 4.00-18 64P Tubed Type Shinko 3.00-21 M/C 57S Tube Type Motorcycle Tire Avon AM7 Safety Milege MKII 4.00-18 M/C 64S Tube Type Motorcycle Tire Coker Tires Firestone Champion Deluxe 5.00-16 71P Motorcycle Tire SaveSave SaveSave

a calculator:

Calculate RPM For A Given Speed In Top Gear

Calculate rpm for a given speed in top gear. We have included this amazing tool to help you calculate the gear ratios on your motorcycle, RPM Vs. Speed. Contact us with any questions you may have.
                      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by drivermark
                        What's the deal with the O-ring chains? Are they bigger somehow (I've never looked at one)
                        Yes sir they are wider....... Hell they might even be a little taller I've never measured them to see............ Plus they say to clean and oil them........... If you do that to a regular chain they will also last longer............

Comment

• drivermark
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by Tattooo
                          Yes sir they are wider....... Hell they might even be a little taller I've never measured them to see............ Plus they say to clean and oil them........... If you do that to a regular chain they will also last longer............
                          And they cost more (which is probably why I've never even looked at one)

Comment

• Rich54
                            • Jan 2015

I realize this is an older thread but I also have a 1984 softail with a 97 inch evo. I currently switched to a brute 2 extreme belt drive for a shovelhead. That changed the primary drive ratio from 1.54 to 1.48 to 1. I was also thinking of running the flh ratios to give me a better first gear ratio and then use the rear sprockets to adjust my final drive ratio.

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Rich54
                              I realize this is an older thread but I also have a 1984 softail with a 97 inch evo. I currently switched to a brute 2 extreme belt drive for a shovelhead. That changed the primary drive ratio from 1.54 to 1.48 to 1. I was also thinking of running the flh ratios to give me a better first gear ratio and then use the rear sprockets to adjust my final drive ratio.
                              The 3.0:1 FL first gear ratio makes the 1 - 2 upshift harsh. If you are contemplating this change, you will probably like the Andrews 2.60:1 first gear better. In your transmission, you will have to change the c'shaft second gear to the older 1.82:1 to match the first gear cluster. I have been swapping in the 2.60:1 first gear on pretty much every FL transmission i rebuild, and I haven't had a complaint yet.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;