Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1954bmw
    • Mar 2015

Really surprised at you guys, evidently, he has an FLT/FXR rubber mount drivetrain. My friend started a Santee rigid frame build and had a rubber mount drivetrain from an older FLT, he chopped the seat post out of the frame and added a frame tube brace on the right side of the frame and mounts to grab the trans mount. This would allow use of his primary's, starter, etc. Would this be cheaper then transferring trans guts and other stuff???? Friend ended up with prostate cancer and I bought the roller, have over 2000 miles on it with a dresser drivetrain. Good luck
    Last edited by 1954bmw; 07-29-2021, 5:52 AM.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

If you can weld or know a good weldor that's easy and cheap without drivetrain fuckery as 1954bmw pointed out. Keep in mind the front and rear wheels must be centered so the drivetrain must be be straight and the final drive belt or chain line up.

http://www.l-l-choppers.com/ll-hardt...n-evo/?lang=en shows the post and mount style.

Comment

• Sugarcubes
        • Apr 2024

on a sidenote, that roller looks great! my friend has a bigdog import with the 107" and it hauls ass. Im sure it will be a beast in a stripped down rigid chop

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by 1954bmw
          Really surprised at you guys, evidently, he has an FLT/FXR rubber mount drivetrain. My friend started a Santee rigid frame build and had a rubber mount drivetrain from an older FLT, he chopped the seat post out of the frame and added a frame tube brace on the right side of the frame and mounts to grab the trans mount. This would allow use of his primary's, starter, etc. Would this be cheaper then transferring trans guts and other stuff???? Friend ended up with prostate cancer and I bought the roller, have over 2000 miles on it with a dresser drivetrain. Good luck
          The OP asked about a transmission to fit the frame, not how to make his frame fit his drivetrain. No surprise that his question got answered (OK, a little surprised, thread drift could have killed the answer.)

Jim

Comment

• 1954bmw
            • Mar 2015

But, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to make the frame fit the drivetrain??? He said he doesn't want a three inch belt drive and all his Bigdogg shit would work, no looking for starters and primarys and trans??? Just a thot??

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by 1954bmw
              But, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to make the frame fit the drivetrain??? He said he doesn't want a three inch belt drive and all his Bigdogg shit would work, no looking for starters and primarys and trans??? Just a thot??
              Your approach is certainly a valid solution to the problem. But cheaper and easier, probably not (if done well). Easiest would be to find a frame that fits the drivetrain rather than cut up a (assumed good) frame.

Jim

Comment

• 1954bmw
                • Mar 2015

Agreed, did not mean to turn it into a pissin contest, would like to see it when done, Mark

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Bigdoggp739
                  Not interested in an open belt. Wanted to run a closed primary/chain with a belt final drive. I got all the sprockets with the bike.
                  Since the look you're going to end up with will be a throw back to the 50's ...

... /// https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/re...ker-drivetrain \\\ ...

If your budget could handle it, sure would be a fitting look .. !!

This move does require the 5 ina 4 case and a new starter to fit ..

... /// https://www.sscycle.com/docs/default...4.pdf?sfvrsn=4 \\\ ...
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 07-29-2021, 2:02 PM.
                  Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• golfish
                    • Jul 2017

Might be better to get another frame and sell the one you have. Frames are cheap..

Comment

• Bigdoggp739
                      • Jul 2021

Originally posted by golfish
                      Might be better to get another frame and sell the one you have. Frames are cheap..
                      Not cheap enough. Bought a trans case for $250. Should be a simple switcharoo.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Please show us what ya came up with ...

Thanks
                        Last edited by Dragstews; 07-31-2021, 11:08 AM.
                        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• golfish
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Bigdoggp739
                          Not cheap enough. Bought a trans case for $250. Should be a simple switcharoo.
                          That's good to hear
                          I thought you had to replace the primary too....
                          Good luck

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;