CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Riding from Charleston SC to Backroad BBQ Run

Anybody going to the Backroad BBQ Run in Trenton, NC on July 10-12? I'll be heading out from Charleston, SC on Friday morning taking the back roads as much as I can and giving myself plenty of daylight to get there. Will be riding my rigid shovel.
    Anybody along the route or headed from somewhere else wanna meet up? Holler at me 843-Nine26-Three216

Checkout the Events section of Chopcult for info

Get Adobe Flash player

Post how the run works out.

I can't do it this year (awaiting back surgery) but maybe next year.

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you sure they are even having it???????

Get Adobe Flash player

http://www.backroadbbqrun.com/ has nothing saying otherwise.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hope they have a good turnout.............

Get Adobe Flash player

Hopefully it'll turnout just fine considering the virus and its the weekend after the 4th. Im more at risk at work, being outdoors with folks riding and chilling should be fine.

Ive been saying i was gonna do one of these ride/campout for a few years now but im the guy who always builds up a bike and sells it to start the next one and never has a bike to ride when events come up. Last summer while we were waiting for our daughter to be born I was super motivated and finished up my shovel and threw together a cool tall skinny evo sportster chop and said I'd keep em both and always have a bike to ride to such events. Well, I sold the sportster but I was finally able to show up at a few local events like Rockabillaque, with something to show off. Now with our daughter here i'm still tinkering with the bikes plenty but at a slower pace and really enjoying riding more this year when I can. I always love having my family with me and my wife loves to ride when we can get her folks to babysit, but....for this one in just itching to take off on my own and finally do one of these events I have passed up on for the last few years. Its kind of a perfect distance from here. Like 5 hrs. Not toooooo far like some epic adventure but far enough to where it's gonna feel like a good stretch physically and mentally. Far enough where itll suck if I brake down! Looking forward to meeting some folks and just enjoying the good life. Only bad thing is that i just quit drinking real beer a month ago. After paying attention to patterns i found it to really had a negative affect on the eczema I developed on my hands a couple years ago. Still figuring it out. Honestly I am really digging drinking NAB's (Non Alcoholic Beers). I used to always drink good beers. Porters, stouts, craft brews, etc but enjoyed the taste and the habit much more than the buzz at the end of the day when i hadn't drank water all day. Already feeling more focused and energized. Anybody else drink NABs?!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloudSalvage View Post
    Hopefully it'll turnout just fine considering the virus and its the weekend after the 4th. Im more at risk at work, being outdoors with folks riding and chilling should be fine.

Ive been saying i was gonna do one of these ride/campout for a few years now but im the guy who always builds up a bike and sells it to start the next one and never has a bike to ride when events come up. Last summer while we were waiting for our daughter to be born I was super motivated and finished up my shovel and threw together a cool tall skinny evo sportster chop and said I'd keep em both and always have a bike to ride to such events. Well, I sold the sportster but I was finally able to show up at a few local events like Rockabillaque, with something to show off. Now with our daughter here i'm still tinkering with the bikes plenty but at a slower pace and really enjoying riding more this year when I can. I always love having my family with me and my wife loves to ride when we can get her folks to babysit, but....for this one in just itching to take off on my own and finally do one of these events I have passed up on for the last few years. Its kind of a perfect distance from here. Like 5 hrs. Not toooooo far like some epic adventure but far enough to where it's gonna feel like a good stretch physically and mentally. Far enough where itll suck if I brake down! Looking forward to meeting some folks and just enjoying the good life. Only bad thing is that i just quit drinking real beer a month ago. After paying attention to patterns i found it to really had a negative affect on the eczema I developed on my hands a couple years ago. Still figuring it out. Honestly I am really digging drinking NAB's (Non Alcoholic Beers). I used to always drink good beers. Porters, stouts, craft brews, etc but enjoyed the taste and the habit much more than the buzz at the end of the day when i hadn't drank water all day. Already feeling more focused and energized. Anybody else drink NABs?!!!
    I quit drinking about 7 years ago I feel alot better without it
    It's tough to find a good tasting na well being brewing has some but as far as regular beers go the Coors edge is my favorite and easy to find

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyknowsimashithead View Post
    I quit drinking about 7 years ago I feel alot better without it
    It's tough to find a good tasting na well being brewing has some but as far as regular beers go the Coors edge is my favorite and easy to find
    I'll look into "well being". Im actually enjoying O'doules right now but I'll get tired of it soon. At least it's lite and easy drinking for the summer days. I'll be exploring for darker NA come Autumn.

Get Adobe Flash player

Let me know what you find
    I'd love to find more na stouts and such
    I wish I could just have a Beamish without the alcohol!

Get Adobe Flash player

I've got a set of bars in the raffle at Backroad, Really wish I could have made it down like planned but the postponement messed my schedule up... have a great time!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeFabrication View Post
    I've got a set of bars in the raffle at Backroad, Really wish I could have made it down like planned but the postponement messed my schedule up... have a great time!
    Thanks dude. Ill get myself a ticket!

Get Adobe Flash player

Well......I did it! A few days leading up to it I was really excited, day dreaming about how nice it would be to get on the road. Then Thursday came and I started talking myself out of it. I work 2nd shift. Got home that night about 11pm and my wife asked if I had decided. I told her i didn't want to talk about it but will decide in the morning. Friday morning came and I carried on like it was a normal morning, no hurry or rush, no plans.
    Finally about 11am I said to my wife "guess i better get ready to go". I was just kinda feeling it out by saying it aloud. I was torn about leaving. Do I really wanna ride up there by myself? Will I enjoy socializing with strangers this weekend? Should i just wait until August to go to Twin Rivers campout with friends? After working 2nd shift all week I really cherish the weekend because I can eat dinner with my family, watch the sun sink, and I get to see my 10 month old daughter go to sleep. Anyhow my wife kinda help talked me into it and help me realize there are plenty of normal weekends to look forward too and who knows what August will bring. I also just listened to a podcast recently that talked about following your initial, pure impulses and before your brain throws on the emergency brakes and gives you reasons not too. So I was going! I started packing quickly. Had my tool roll strapped to my bars that stays on the bikes always. Grabbed a back pack and threw in a small tent, sleeping bag, bathing suit, 2 t shirts, pair ofsocks, big water jug, revolver, tiny foldable propane stove and coffee percalator, plastic mug, backup gas jug, and couple other tid bits. Got on the computer and printed out the route directions and made an extra copy for my wife. I was ready to roll by 12pm. Said my good byes and hit the road. As soon as I made it out of the city I was so glad I decided to go. I was doing what I had daydreamed about the last couple of weeks. I was head out of Charleston on Hwy 17 North then up to 701 thru Conway around Myrtle Beach. It was a beautiful back road ride. Lots of farm land and fun country roadside stuff to see. Pretty nice roads except for a one stretch that had some serious cracks in the road that made fault line, small mountain forming looking bumps (jumps). I really had to slow down and focus and try to see as many of those coming as I could. Swerving left and right but I couldn't hardly miss them all. I basically skimmed thru the directions before I left and made some mental notes of some of the towns I should be passing thru, i really didn't want to pull out my phone to look at gps. Well...i got to a point where my intuition told me it was time to look before continuing further. Sure enough i missed a turn about a while back. I was now in Clinton NC, I should have gotten on NC41 in Elizabethtown but instead I kept going on 701. Cost myself about and extra hour and a half, but it was a great ride anyhow. Finally pulled into the campground at about 7:40PM. Signed in and helped myself to a couple of the free PBR's. I hadnt had a beer in about a month but after the ride i wasn't gonna go looking for O'Doules. Setup camp and ended up meeting some really cool folks that welcomed me into their circle where we sat around and chatted. Then later, wandered around the wooded section of the camp and had lots of late night buzzed conversations with strangers who's faces I barely saw as I was so dark out there. I got up in the morning, made some coffee, grabbed a breakfast sandwich from the food truck that rolled up and joined my new friends for a few, then I took a nap, and packed up my stuff and loaded the bike back up. I decided Friday night that I was not going to stay the whole weekend. I enjoyed the ride so much that I was just itching to get back on the road and i didn't want to put it off until Sunday. I also wanted to see my little girl. I missed out on all of the festivities that the event offered like the group ride to the brewery, bike games, raffle, etc but I really felt like I was getting what I needed and what I wanted out of this experience. This is longest out of town trip i have taken since i got my first harley (883 sportster) a few years back and shortly after rode to Birmingham for Barber Vintage Festival. Other than that it's always been day trip rides not too far from town. It was also the first time i've ever taken a motorcycle road trip by myself. Anyhow I hit the road about 11:30am and headed back pretty much the same way, except i took the correct way this time. First off I was just so happy to be back on the bike and riding the backroads again. Then I hit a phase of being extremely exhausted and sunburnt where I was really fighting to keep going. My butt hurt and my neck hurt and the sun was beating me up. Finally as I got near georgetown/myrtle beach a big black clouded sky moved in quick and shot down lightning and I rode straight into it for just a few minutes. I keep saying i need to get a face shield because that rain hurts so bad on my cheeks and nose. I had a full face helmet on, but no shield. I got thru the rain in about 15 minutes of slowwwwwwww riding, could barely see. Now the air was nice and cool and I went from dreaming about my cold refreshing shower when i get home to dreaming about a warm shower. But I got semi dry in no time and I was reinvigorated! That woke me right back up and I was excited to be riding again for the last 2 hrs.
    Man....my shovel was a dream to ride the whole time. No issues whatsoever. It felt so good just ticking along on those long backroad stretches. I really got to get it into the zone where everything just comes together and the vibrations are just right. The bike was super comfortable for the most part with the backpack behind me, the apes, and I really like riding with my dual 16" wheels and tires.
    Anyhow, i didn't take a bunch of pics cuz i'm just not that guy, but heres one before I left my house and one of my campsite.
    It was a great 2 days of riding over almost 500 miles. It was just what I needed.

0710201241-HDR

Get Adobe Flash player

Awesome, It sounds like you had a nice ride and time and that's what it's all about......

Get Adobe Flash player

Shit yea dude! Glad you made it and had a good time!

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice write up man sounds like it was a much needed good time on great looking bike too

Get Adobe Flash player

That's quality, sir. Some good miles and time alone in your own head on two wheels will cure a lot of ailments. Glad you had a good ride.

Share This