Nissin Front MC / Complete Rebuild Of Every Brake Component Use Dot 4 ??

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzkilr
    • Sep 2009

Nissin Front MC / Complete Rebuild Of Every Brake Component Use Dot 4 ??

2000 XLH 1200 I'm running 7/8" bars and using a brand new Nissin front MC. Brand new brake lines, rebuilt calipers and rear MC. My question..... can I used DOT 4? Compatible with the Nissin MC and much cheaper to buy. Also I've read that DOT 5 will F up the Nissin MC? Not sure if thats true. Hoping someone else has been through this same situation.
  • DustyDave
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

If you switch to dot 4 every bit of the brake system must be completely cleaned and then if you get a leak or spill DOT 3 and 4 are incredibly effective paint strippers. If I switch either way I flush all the lines with denatured alcohol then dry with compressed air. As long as there was never any DOT 3 or 4 in the master I wouldn't think it would hurt to use DOT 5. Only reason I can think of that you couldn't use DOT 5 in a new master would be if it was assembled with DOT 3 or 4 as assembly lube as a cost cutting measure. If this is the case that manufacturer would be off my list to purchase from forever! Dot 5 is a much better choice for a motorcycle!
    Dusty
    Driving that train, high on cocaine
    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• buzzkilr
      • Sep 2009

Thanks Dusty Dave! I really appreciate the help! DOT 5 it is!

PS does DOT 5 need to be changed out more often than 3/4?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Thread: Would DOT 5 Brake Fluid work in DOT 4 brake systems? Read before, before Answering.

First, let me say, I know that DOT 5 and DOT 4 and 5.1 CAN NOT BE INTERMIXED. And I am not thrilled with the idea of my paint being destroyed by a splash of either DOT 4 or 5.1. Harley has been making some changes in brake fluid type. The old standard was DOT 5, now we have DOT 4 & 5.1. DOT 5 is silicone base, while DOT 4
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• thecarfarmer
          • Dec 2016

The real question is why a guy would use anything but DOT 5

The earlier brake fluids are hydroscopic, they pull water out of the air. DOT 5 is not. So, it actually lasts longer and is less corrosive to the metals in the brake system

The only downside to it is that it is somewhat more expensive (which can be offset by not buying a six pack, or an overpriced Starbucks drink), and is not compatible with ABS systems.

I always put it into any vehicle wherever I am cleaning the entire brake system out and starting with a new fill and no contamination of old fluid. Non-negotiable.

Of course, if any of the components have been exposed to earlier brake fluids, everything needs to be disassembled and completely cleaned. Any contamination between these two makes a reaction between them that gums everything up.

Comment

• buzzkilr
            • Sep 2009

Thanks for all the help

Yes I'm going to run DOT 5 but was unsure if it would be Ok to run it in the new Nissin m/c I have. Looks like it is fine to do just that. Boy it was sure tough to find at my local auto parts stores that for sure!

Comment

• docmel
              • May 2015

Originally posted by buzzkilr
              Thanks for all the help

Yes I'm going to run DOT 5 but was unsure if it would be Ok to run it in the new Nissin m/c I have. Looks like it is fine to do just that. Boy it was sure tough to find at my local auto parts stores that for sure!

Myself, on modern systems, use what the manufactorers recommend. Besides DOT 5 being more expensive, its hard to find in your corner parts stores (Which is weird, 3 years ago or so you could find it everywhere)

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;