Using a master cylinder threaded for 3/8-24 IF with a banjo bolt?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakerz
    • Mar 2019

Using a master cylinder threaded for 3/8-24 IF with a banjo bolt?

So I'm trying to get a master cylinder that meets my needs for my bike build. I've ordered a Wilwood master cylinder and plan on making some levers and possibly a reservoir for it to make it look a bit more old-school. My question is: The specs on the website says it's threaded for 3/8-24 IF (inverted flair), so it's made to use with hardlines is my guess. Will a 3//8-24 banjo bolt or a 3/8-24 fitting with a copper sealing washer work with this instead of the IF or is it completely different? The threads on a banjo don't do any of the sealing anyway, right? (that's what the washers are there for)?

Jake
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

look here, then call 'em;

Line Fittings

Brake Line Fittings & Bleed Screws

Wilwood’s brake line fittings are manufactured to high quality standards and are available in various styles. These premium grade brake fittings have been designed for use in completion of your disc brake system and consist of chassis fitting, caliper adapters, master cylinder fittings and adapters necessary to complete your brake system needs.
    Wilwood offers a wide variety of brake line fittings designed to fit the Wilwood brake line kits and wilwood master cylinders. This page shows the line fittings, bleed screws, caliper inlet fittings, chassis fittings, master cylinder fittings and pressure guage fittings.

Tech Support Center
    Visit Wilwood Engineering's technical support center to get bolt-on brake kit installation instructions, answer questions and read the technical tips

Phone: (805) 388-1188
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Jakerz
      • Mar 2019

Yeah, I'm going to give them a call Monday morning, probably going to call Russell too, they make the lines I plan on using for the setup.

Thanks
      Jake

Comment

• 10scDust
        • Jan 2018

My concerns would be twofold.
        First; is there enough female thread for the banjo bolt to secure the fitting without bottoming out into the IF portion the hard lines seal against?
        Second; is the outer surface suitable for the copper washer to seal against?

I've never tried this, if it all works, let us know, with pics!

Rule of thumb for fasteners: 1 and a half times the diameter for sufficient strength, (bolt into threaded hole).
        Last edited by 10scDust; 07-24-2021, 4:21 AM.

Comment

• confab
          • May 2019

I've seen "built it yourself" line kits that let you use whatever ends you want?

The two master cylinders I've had here would in no way have clearance for a banjo. As the above post mentions, the distance to the flare isn't great enough.

Comment

• Jakerz
            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by 10scDust
            My concerns would be twofold.
            First; is there enough female thread for the banjo bolt to secure the fitting without bottoming out into the IF portion the hard lines seal against?
            Second; is the outer surface suitable for the copper washer to seal against?

I've never tried this, if it all works, let us know, with pics!

Rule of thumb for fasteners: 1 and a half times the diameter for sufficient strength, (bolt into threaded hole).
            Yup, I got the master cylinder in the mail today and theres only about 3/8" of thread before the flare, Russell makes an IF to AN3 adapter that I can use. But I don't think the thing is gonna work very well for what I'm wanting to do.

Thanks guys!
            Jake

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;