CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Emissions On Custom Build

So, I'm building bike on a new Paughco frame. The engine and transmission both came off of a 1979 FXS 80. I know that getting a builders title on the bike will make the machine a 2021, or 2022 depending on when I finish.

My question is, will passing emissions be an issue when I go to get it inspected. The reason I ask is, I live in Harris County Texas. 17 counties in Texas have emissions on motorcycles built after a certain year. Of course Harris is one.

What confuses me about this situation is that on the DPS website it states that if emissions were not installed when the vehicle was "manufactured," the emissions test is not required.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but, if I build it without any emissions and get a builders title, that makes me the manufacturer and emissions wouldn't be a concern, right?

Shovelhead

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ShovelheadChris View Post
    What confuses me about this situation is that on the DPS website it states that if emissions were not installed when the vehicle was "manufactured," the emissions test is not required.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but, if I build it without any emissions and get a builders title, that makes me the manufacturer and emissions wouldn't be a concern, right?

Shovelhead
    Thats what it sounds like to me. In a similar vein, SC does not require you to have turn signals on a motorcycle, regardless of year of mfg. If they are on the bike, however, they have to function.

So, I'm building bike on a new Paughco frame. The engine and transmission both came off of a 1979 FXS 80. I know that getting a builders title on the bike will make the machine a 2021, or 2022 depending on when I finish.

My question is, will passing emissions be an issue when I go to get it inspected. The reason I ask is, I live in Harris County Texas. 17 counties in Texas have emissions on motorcycles built after a certain year. Of course Harris is one.

Shovelhead
    Ask the folks in your county that do the inpections: You'll waste allot of time and worry asking everyone except the folks that do the test. Let us know what you find

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    Ask the folks in your county that do the inpections: You'll waste allot of time and worry asking everyone except the folks that do the test. Let us know what you find
    ^ This and being "manufactured" in 2021, they may want a whole lot more emissions equipment than was originally offered in 1979.

You really need this info from the source before investing a lot of time or money in a bike you can't ride.

Yeah unfortunately too late. I already ordered my Paughco frame.
    I have a nephew that does state inspection, and I am going to ask him. Just thought I’ll ask here in case someone already had experience with it here in Texas.
    I will let ya’ll know what my nephew says.
    Fingers crossed.

Shovelhead

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a nephew that does state inspection, and I am going to ask him.
    Shovelhead
    Shovelhead
    If this is how it is written up on the web site, I'd say that short of running into an asshole you will be good. On a special construction project, you are the manufacturer.

So I talked to my nephew and what he said is about what I would expect any self respecting motorcycle enthusiast would say.

At his shop they don't do emissions tests on any bike that comes in without emissions controls on it, because It was OBVIOUSLY
    manufactured without it.

I love that kid!

Share This