CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    glasscuter

Default Amen Savior keeps bending axles

I have a 1970 bonneville on a amen savior frame and have bent 3 axles in 15 years. This last axle (new) was bent after a short test drive after putting new tires and new spacers. Everything was tight and even and yet the axle bent on the chain side. I cant find a factory axle and have had these turned at a machine shop. Anybody else had this problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200622_185549.jpg   20200622_185614.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Have it machined from something stronger next time. If you can find out what they used on the failed axle post that for reference.

Your shop can advise on alloy and may have some stock left over from another job.

I found this group by accident. It might be useful as some fab their own parts and custom tools:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/730402610414708/

glasscuter

wow facebook, thanks for the info. will check on axle alloy tho dude made my last one years ago.

If it's a typical Triumph skinny axle, have it made of 4130HT or 4340HT, both heat treated chromemoly. If it's a larger axle like Harley, you can get away with 1144, that is a common, standard shafting material and pretty tough. 1018 ain't gonna feed the bulldog.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you have the proper spacers in there to have it tight but not side-loading the axle carriers?

here is a replacement axle:

Amen Savior 20mm Rear Axle

Made for use with your Amen Savior Frame. May fit other frames.
    15" Overall length with 1 5/16" of threads on each end.
    20mm Diameter
    3/4-16 Threads

WH-086 $89.95

http://www.cyclexchange.net/frame__end.htm
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 06-23-2020 at 7:49 AM. Reason: spaced out

Maybe you're adjusting your chain a little too tight, so that when your suspension moves, it makes your chain even tighter, pulling your axle to the point of bending it.

Bill

glasscuter

thanks for all the feedback. I think the axle strength may be an issue and the chain was a little tight so may have not helped.I do have proper spacers I cut to size. I have an axle i bought that was supposed to be for the frame but seemed short. I will try it and make sure chain has some slack.

Share This