Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRare
    • Aug 2019

petcock bung

Anybody have any info on a specific bolt or any way to plug the spare petcock hole for a 2.1 mid tunnel wassell? I threw a bolt in it and it still decided to leak gas. I would imagine thread tape wouldn't help me. When i pulled the bolt out the threads looked alright so i'm not too sure why it would still leak...92' sporty.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Bolts are straight thread not designed to seal. Most old tank bungs are tapered pipe thread so try a pipe plug (bring tank to hardware store). Seal with pipe dope or teftape which are the correct sealants for tapered fittings.

Comment

• tzienlee
      • Apr 2024

if it is a genuine British made Wassell tank, they were 1/4BSP thread..
      in which the Female thread is parallel and the male thread is tapered.
      made to suit the many types of British fuel taps used at the time

Comment

• DRare
        • Aug 2019

Thanks fellas. appreciate the replies.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

" How to measure BSP Threads

One of the most frequent problems that we have found our customers run into is the identification and measurement of pipe threads.

In Great Britain BSP British Standard Pipe threads are commonly used.
          These are either parallel (BSPP) which normally seal on a washer or 'O' ring seal, or tapered (BSPT) which taper along their length and normally seal by two mating threads.

How to measure your thread:

Use a tape rule (or vernier gauge) to measure across the outside of the male thread. Note that a thread that measures 1/2" is not a 1/2" BSP thread.

Using the table below we can see that a thread measuring 1/2" is actually a 1/4" BSP thread. Similarly, a thread that measures 1" is actually a 3/4" BSP thread..."

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• DRare
            • Aug 2019

Thanks Tri. It's not an actual wassell tank. It's a tank i got from Throttle Addiction. I've ordered pipe plugs from auto zone and we'll see if it works. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the reply and info though dude.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Throttle Addiction would or should know the thread spec but the reason I suggested a hardware store is they've examples of everything from 1/8" NPT (too small) on up. Your tank bung is probably 1/4" NPT.

You can measure using a caliper and know. (BTW Harbor Freight digitals work fine though their feel isn't gret, and are only around twenty bucks, every mechanic should have one and mine keep my Tesa and Mitutoyos safe in the machine shop.)

This engineering reference chart is of the National Standard Taper Pipe Threads Size NPT and Includes both External and internal Pipe Thread Data.

Amazing deals on this 6In Digital Caliper at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

• DRare
                • Aug 2019

Thanks for the help fellas. Got a pipe plug and it's leak free.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Thanks for posting the solution! It helps others.

Comment

• ptrouton
                    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by tzienlee
                    if it is a genuine British made Wassell tank, they were 1/4BSP thread..
                    in which the Female thread is parallel and the male thread is tapered.
                    made to suit the many types of British fuel taps used at the time
                    Thanks for info, it's useful for me

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;