Shovelhead 41 mm Wide Glide leaks from mounting studs - HELP!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashy
    • Aug 2009

Shovelhead 41 mm Wide Glide leaks from mounting studs - HELP!

Hey guys, i have a 79 shovel and my wide glide just doesnt stop leaking from the bottom mounting studs (as seen in the pic). I have tried everything, teflon tape, green loctite and the fluid leaks out as fast as it goes in. Any ideas? or am i screwed? if so, anyone got a single slider for sale? 41 mm - please let me know - and i have searched the forum but i only find leaks at the top or seals - nothing at the bottom Click image for larger version

Name:	forkpic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1346828
    thanks in advance

nick
  • selectedgrub
    • Dec 2009

#7 - I have had luck with bonded seals and copper washers (not together)

Comment

• ashy
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by selectedgrub
      #7 - I have had luck with bonded seals and copper washers (not together)
      Thank you man, ill give that a shot.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Your fork leg is likely leaking at the damper screw, not the cap studs. The holes for the studs do not pass into the inside of the leg.

The damper screw is sealed by a copper washer, as S. said above. The screw has to be TIGHT. It's a 6mm Allen socket. Put a torque wrench on it, and if it doesn't click at 18 - 20 ft.lb., it's not tight enough. And of course you want to check that the copper washer is indeed there.

Jim

Comment

• ashy
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JBinNC
          Your fork leg is likely leaking at the damper screw, not the cap studs. The holes for the studs do not pass into the inside of the leg.

The damper screw is sealed by a copper washer, as S. said above. The screw has to be TIGHT. It's a 6mm Allen socket. Put a torque wrench on it, and if it doesn't click at 18 - 20 ft.lb., it's not tight enough. And of course you want to check that the copper washer is indeed there.

Jim
          Thanks so much Jim, will definetley try that today. appreciate the help

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;