Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jfuller
    • Jul 2016

81 shovel rebuild

I'm back after a long hiatus of buying, selling, moving across the state, dealing with crazy exes, hot rods, and generally being an adult. I have my 81 shovelhead in the stock frame that was hard tailed, and I wrecked it. I've gone back and forth and torn into it and half ass started putting it together, but now I'm back figuring out where I'm at, what I need to get, and where I'm going with the bike. I gotta change the heads because the exhausts are stripped, so im gonna go to s&s. I also gotta find some rocker boxes, but that should be easy. The harder to find stuff would be going to a juice brake rear drum wheel, and getting the trans rebuilt. So here we go. First things first: I got an aftermarket tin primary setup, and figured I gotta pull the clutch to start mocking it up... and here's where I'm at:Click image for larger version

Name:	20210804_175917.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	1346868

How in the sam fuck does this clutch hub come off? I already tried tapping it with a hammer and lightly prying on it. I bent one of the studs at some point, so I gotta replace it anyways.. but I can't figure out how it comes off..
  • Jfuller
    • Jul 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210726_183419.jpg
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1319383

Here's the bike. I also need to get rid of the 81 oil lines coming outta the lifter blocks. Any advice?

Comment

• Jfuller
      • Jul 2016

Name:	20210804_180300.jpg
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	1319384Click image for larger version

Name:	20210804_180306.jpg
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	1319385

These lines.

Comment

• Jfuller
        • Jul 2016

Name:	20210731_153151.jpg
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	1319386

And if I disappear for a short time its cuz I'm keeping this on the road as my daily. 53 ford customline, 302/AOD, swapping in an explorer 8.8 soon and redoing the fuel system, wiring, front suspension and upgrading to holley sniper efi. You can see it on the hamb if it interests anyone.

Comment

• confab
          • May 2019

Originally posted by Jfuller
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]104622[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]104623[/ATTACH]

These lines.
          Those lines are interesting. My 1980 doesn't have them.

Were those added to feed skirt oilers?

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

That tool is most needed ... Pulls the hub with no damage to the hub or mainshaft ..

About the top-end oil returns lines ...
            Harley been rethinking the top-end oil return since 48 ...

48 to 52 seen the oil going to the oil scraper passage bypassing the crankcase/flywheels altogether ...
            Bad part about doing it that way was drilling holes in the case (Which wasn't all that meaty to begin with) to route the oil back to the oil scraper cavity ...

Then in 53 they did away with that design and drilled the return holes in the jugs dropping the oil onto the flywheels which threw the oil into the oil scraper ....
            That worked until a engineer (Buell) said I got an idea .. !!
            81 and 82 saw the oil routed to the cam chest (What you have going on) but went back to the jugs on the later models ..

You can plug the holes and drill the holes to revert back to dropping the oil into the crankcase flywheel cavity ...
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews

That tool is most needed ... Pulls the hub with no damage to the hub or mainshaft ..

48 to 52 seen the oil going to the oil scraper passage bypassing the crankcase/flywheels altogether ...
              Bad part about doing it that way was drilling holes in the case (Which wasn't all that meaty to begin with) to route the oil back to the oil scraper cavity ...

Then in 53 they did away with that design and drilled the return holes in the jugs dropping the oil onto the flywheels which threw the oil into the oil scraper ....
              81 and 82 saw the oil routed to the cam chest (What you have going on) but went back to the jugs on the later models ..

You can plug the holes and drill the holes to revert back to dropping the oil into the crankcase flywheel cavity ...
              The oil lines from the cylinder base to the tappet blocks do not drain oil into the cam chest. Quite the opposite, they drain oil from the pushrod tubes into the flywheel cavity. That was to address pushrod tube leaks that came from changing from the old cork seals to orings in '78(?). You can do away with those lines as long as the oil drain holes are present in the tappet blocks (and all of those blocks I have seen do have the oil drains drilled.) The drain holes are small, 1/16" or so into the bottom of the block.

FYI, using the 11157 top oring from the evo pushrod tubes on shovels and ironheads that have oring pushrod tubes will definitely help with the leaks.

Jim

Comment

• Jfuller
                • Jul 2016

I'll have to look into buying one of those tools. I'm gonna have to look at what holes I'd need to drill to keep the oil flow.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by JBinNC
                  The oil lines from the cylinder base to the tappet blocks do not drain oil into the cam chest.

Jim
                  Aaaaaa Jim ...

You got any of those lifters blocks around ... ?
                  Go take a look at em ...

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Aaaaaa Jim ...

You got any of those lifters blocks around ... ?
                    Go take a look at em ...
                    Think about where the line into the cylinder base goes. You are thinking about it backwards. Not my first rodeo either.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

I'm very familiar with that move Harley did for Top-End oil return
                      (Even had a chat about that design change with the engineer that thought it up)

__________________________________________________ _

Pushrod oil drains remained the same as the 53 and up blocks ...
                      If you would take a hard look at the holes drilled in the blocks that connect to the jugs you'll see that they go straight though the blocks and don't intersect with the pushrods ...

I could be wrong ... Been 40 years ago and I slept since then .. (A few times)
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 08-05-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

I'm very familiar with that move Harley did for Top-End oil return
                        (Even had a chat about that design change with the engineer that thought it up)

Ah, then you know that no top end oil returns FROM the cylinder base TO the tappet blocks, but it's the other way around. Has to be. The hole in the cylinder base is just into the bore. Oil cannot drain FROM there, it drains TO there.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Could very well be like that .. ??

Do know that it didn't pan out cause it was only a two year run and the Mo-Co reverted back to the old design ..
                          (Buell got to keep his job for a few more years until he went out on his own)

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Could very well be like that .. ??

Do know that it didn't pan out cause it was only a two year run and the Mo-Co reverted back to the old design ..
                            (Buell got to keep his job for a few more years until he went out on his own)
                            D, we are of the same age and similar experience. Easy to get cornfused about this old stuff.

I think they abandoned the design because it robbed some of the vacuum under the pistons (with breather valve closed) and that actually REDUCED oil return on the left side of the cylinders. (My theory on that, anyway.)

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by JBinNC

D, we are of the same age
                              Jim

............ .............

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse