standard ignition switch as a magneto kill switch?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ElekVins
    • May 2011

standard ignition switch as a magneto kill switch?

Can you use a standard ignition switch as a magneto kill switch?
    If so how do you wire it? or how do you modify it?

Not looking to plug anything else just make it a kill switch.
    I've tried several combination and didn't succeed but i'm a dummy so maybe it's easy I'm just looking in the wrong direction

Click image for larger version

Name:	54157.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1346814
    Click image for larger version

Name:	37925.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1346815
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

The switch should lock in the accessory or parking position, so you could wire from the mag to batt pos on the switch, and accessory to ground. Then you could lock the switch with the mag grounded. Off position would be run. If you do this, you cannot wire anything else to that switch.

Jim

Comment

• ElekVins
      • May 2011

I don't have a battery, does it change anything?
      Last edited by ElekVins; 06-27-2021, 2:56 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

It's possible to modify the switch ...
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
          • Jan 2015

Just as JB said. You run a wire from the magneto to the "battery" post on the switch. And then a wire from the "accessory" post on the switch to a frame or motor "ground".

A switch is a switch. You don't need a battery. When the switch is in the off position the magneto will work because the wire won't be grounded. When you turn the switch to accessory the wire from the magneto will connect to the wire to the ground and kill the mag.

Comment

• ElekVins
            • May 2011

Yes it's what I thought, but it's not working...
            My switch is probably fucked up, not sure how

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

Check for continuity through it.. If you have continuity and a good ground, it should kill the mag until you move the switch and it does not.

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

To keep any confusion down

With a mag, it makes no dif if you are running a battery or not: What ever switch you want to use, grounding will stop the mag from working: So what ever you want to use, grounding will "kill", or shut off the mag

Just dont wire any 12v accessory to the circuit you want to shut off the mag with

Comment

• 70fatster
                  • Jan 2013

I adapted a standard switch for my magneto sportster.
                  In the lock and first position the magneto is grounded, bike is off.
                  In the second position the magneto is not grounded.
                  In the third and final position the magneto is on and power is supplied to the headlight circuit.
                  On the bottom of the switch I cut at least one contact apart with a dremel disc.
                  At least one post is grounded, and power comes into another for the lights.
                  The switch is simple when viewed from the bottom there is a roller that does the contacting, you can see what is continuous easily in every position.
                  If someone really wants to do this I can take it apart for a pic.
                  A warning to magneto owners is that no kill switch other than the key switch in the magneto is going to prevent the bike from being started. If you cut the wire coming from the grounding terminal and the mag is not locked off you can start the bike all day.

Comment

• ElekVins
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by 70fatster
                    I adapted a standard switch for my magneto sportster.
                    In the lock and first position the magneto is grounded, bike is off.
                    In the second position the magneto is not grounded.
                    In the third and final position the magneto is on and power is supplied to the headlight circuit.
                    On the bottom of the switch I cut at least one contact apart with a dremel disc.
                    At least one post is grounded, and power comes into another for the lights.
                    The switch is simple when viewed from the bottom there is a roller that does the contacting, you can see what is continuous easily in every position.
                    If someone really wants to do this I can take it apart for a pic.
                    A warning to magneto owners is that no kill switch other than the key switch in the magneto is going to prevent the bike from being started. If you cut the wire coming from the grounding terminal and the mag is not locked off you can start the bike all day.
                    Hi 70fatster,
                    Thanks for a detailled explanation, but I'm still a bit lost...
                    The pic you suggested would be great please, if you don't mind

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Yo Vins ....

Is this set-up for the Pan in the VL frame you been spinning together .. ??

Comment

• ElekVins
                        • May 2011

Oh man it's a shame, this project is still on hold.
                        I wish I had the time and space in my mind to get it really started, hopefully someday if life allows me to keep the parts and the faith until it's doable...

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ElekVins
                          Oh man it's a shame, this project is still on hold.
                          Do a piece at a time ...
                          Ya got the tranny done, motor still all in one chunk ...

Finish the frame mods .. I got an idea, send it to Irish Rich Custom Cycles/Shamrock Fabrication ...

That will take the better part of a year before you will get to see it again ...
                          Be all downhill from there, Partner ..

... /// https://www.bikernet.com/pages/story...l.aspx?id=1992 \\\ ...
                          (Hey, I'm trying to build a fire under your ass here ... Work with me, Buddy)

Comment

• 70fatster
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ElekVins
                            Hi 70fatster,
                            Thanks for a detailled explanation, but I'm still a bit lost...
                            The pic you suggested would be great please, if you don't mind
                            I missed this post. I'll try to get a few pics up this weekend.

Comment

• ElekVins
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by 70fatster
                              I missed this post. I'll try to get a few pics up this weekend.
                              Still interested in that pic...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;