Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • confab
    • May 2019

Super Bright LED suggestions?

Anyone got a favorite part to replace the 1156/1157 turn signal bulbs in the old style housings with a high visibility bulb or LED?

I got an H4 headlight recently. It's way better than the stock one. That thing is like the surface of the sun on HI beam. I heard the LED lights were better, still?

Any familiarity with the LED headlights? Got a favorite part? Do you like it?

How long have you run it? Is there a durability concern with a LED?

I'm concerned they won't last or a driver failure will take the whole thing down at once on the highway? Never had an incandescent bulb fail completely.

But.. I never had one? I dunno?
  • 10scDust
    • Jan 2018

My 2017 dresser came equipped with the LEDs, they are a brighter white, but don't seem to flood the field like I would like at night time. That's why I added a small after market one onto the crashbar on each side.

Comment

• tzienlee
      • Apr 2024

not keen of the light throw with an LED myself, but they do seem to last a hell of a long time & many use them,
      I prefer a good H4 bulb to a sealed beam as well, but if you use an H4, buy a good Expensive one,
      the cheap ones don't last long at all, & the light isn't as good as the branded ones,
      I use 'RING' bulbs, & have not had one of theirs blow,
      horses for courses as they say,

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

Cool..

You guys use leds for the turn signal/brake light?

What do you think of those?

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

I tried replacement bulbs for my tombstone tailight and they were shit. Not nearly as bright as a plain bulb and you could not tell the difference from taillight and brakelight. But then I replaced the guts of the tombstone with an LED panel. Now that sucker is bright as daylight!

For a headlight I use a Daymaker clone I got from ebay. Bright and since it uses an array of LEDs failure rate is pretty low. It survived a wreck last year and is still working, even after the headlight housing was trashed,
          Last edited by DoomBuggy; 06-26-2021, 6:35 AM.

Comment

• docmel
            • May 2015

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
            I tried replacement bulbs for my tombstone tailight and they were shit. Not nearly as bright as a plain bulb and you could not tell the difference from taillight and brakelight. But then I replaced the guts of the tombstone with an LED panel. Now that sucker is bright as daylight!

For a headlight I use a Daymaker clone I got from ebay. Bright and since it uses an array of LEDs failure rate is pretty low. It survived a wreck last year and is still working, even after the headlight housing was trashed,
            For me, LEDS are great as far as power consumption, low heat emission and lifespan. They produce great lumen power, but not so much on the candlepower side: What this means is that LEDs produce a great nearby illumination field, but does not "pierce" the dark a long way down the road. Candlepower on the other hand does pierce the dark for a long way, but does not "flood" a big area, like the sides of the road

I have two trucks. One with a high end LED roof light bar, the other with old school, roof mounted filament powered lights

The LED bar is WAY brighter in the nearby vision field. It also really lights up the sides of the road, but again, in the near vision field.

The other bar reaches way further down the road, but the nearby of vision of the sides of the road not so much

For allot of folks that have changed out to LED headlight, they do work, but for me, really for city driving, or areas that have some sort of illumination. For long streches of country and dark road, LED headlights is prob not that great of choice

I have found for brake lights, allot of the LED bulbs off the shelf arent that bright, but lately, I have found some that really do the job. Ill see if I cant post some pics later

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
              It survived a wreck last year and is still working, even after the headlight housing was trashed,
              Really? That's encouraging..

I remember the pics.

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

Maybe something like this, but in a solid color and find them to fit the old style housings?

They're a "panel" sort of..

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

Every scare I have had to date has been the result of someone else doing something absolutely stupid.

I really think anything you can do to at least be seen is probably worth doing.

And it's counter intuitive. because when I was a kid the cars were twice as big as they are now and the roads were half as wide.. And there were drunks, everywhere. And people did pretty good driving, actually. On average, they did very well.

Now, the roads are twice as big and the cars are half as wide.. and they can't handle them?

WTF?

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                    • Oct 2016

In 1970 there were ~200 million people in the USA, today around ~325 million. Most of those are aging boomers like me and most of them drive like shit.
                    Last edited by DoomBuggy; 06-28-2021, 5:35 AM.

Comment

• rockman96
                      • May 2018

Originally posted by confab
                      Now, the roads are twice as big and the cars are half as wide.. and they can't handle them?

WTF?
                      1) Cell phones
                      2) No common sense
                      3) The younger crowd isn't/wasn't trained good, therefore they become shitty drivers. How many millennials can parallel park, or even drive a stick shift?

Comment

• confab
                        • May 2019

One boomer trying to cross 4 fucking lanes of traffic in a left hand turn. *pauses for incredulous look* But the rest have been younger people..

3) The younger crowd isn't/wasn't trained good, therefore they become shitty drivers. How many millennials can parallel park, or even drive a stick shift?
                        That is an excellent point. Schools stopped teaching Driver's Ed in my state, and it shows.

This is something schools can do relatively easily and they did it well. I dunno why they stopped? But I wish they hadn't.

Most of them do seem distracted, or just spaced out.. Maybe it's drugs? I dunno..

Comment

• tzienlee
                          • Apr 2024

I've never driven an Auto, I think it's either a Lazy fucks way to drive,
                          or someone who has no fuckin idea how to drive & shouldn't be on the road,
                          I was very impressed when I left NJ for England & found everyone near enough there drives a Stick shift, Autos are a real small % of Brit drivers & they are usually those with disabilities that prevent them using a clutch.
                          they don't know how to use turn signals which is feckin scary at times, & the young punk ass kids think it's great to have 200 led spot lights hanging off the grill & use them on sunny days ???
                          but then there are no cops trying to shoot them if they didn't use signals like in Jersey...

Comment

• james69
                            • Feb 2018

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H54SP6O...roduct_details

In a 67 beetle "hella" back up light for the headlight on my shovelhead. It's bright as hell, but like the other dude was saying LEDs don't really have a central beam. I thought this one would since it has a domed eye glass on the front of the LED cluster but it's still more of a wider overall brightness vs a concentrated long beam of light.

They came in a pack of two, first one shit out on me in under an hour of use. Lol. Second one has been fine though, since I only use one. My brother uses a dual set up with these LEDs and they're working fine too.

Comment

• markwade74
                              • Mar 2012

Ive ran a $20 dollar ebay led in my shovel for 3 yrs now without a hitch. Dumb luck I guess.

Picked up a couple for the tour glide at a slightly higher price from my fave local shop not to long ago and they are great so far.

Sheer brightness and visibility alone are enough to make me swear by them. You be hard pressed not to see me coming. Not dumb enough to think it couldn't happen, but damn - they are bright. I'll be running them until something better comes along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Polish_20210629_221922528.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	1319002
                              Last edited by markwade74; 06-29-2021, 9:24 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;