Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1954bmw
    • Mar 2015

FXR brakes

OK, I have a 1985 FXRT without the T parts, 35mm forks and dual front discs. It has the original single piston calipers, newer 4 piston calipers can not be just bolted up and I'm too cheap and lazy to find replacement calipers. Anyway, I would like to replace the brake pads to get the best braking with what I have, any suggestions?????
  • tzienlee
    • Apr 2024

I rebuilt mine with new seals, new mounting bolts & bushes & 'EBC' brake pads, also made sure there was copper grease on the bolts so they slide nice & smoothly I fitted stainless steel braided hoses & a modern master cylinder off of a 2014 Roadking with an 11/16 bore & they work pretty damn well now for single piston calipers, a hell of a lot better than they were stock anyway,.... having said that I have just scored a set of GMA calipers with adaptors for the duel disc 35mm forks real cheap so when they get here I'll up date the bike with them

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Newer calipers do bolt up using the cheap plate adapters (Bikers Choice) if ya use the "non-Brembo" four piston calipers (dirt cheap online and at swap meets). I had to shave the backs slightly with a flap disc to clear the mag spokes but that may not be required since we also replaced the crashed front rim with an AMF-era rim he got by accident (I bored the later 1986 rotors to fit that, not relevent to OPs issue but worth knowing).

Pic is my bros 86. Zoom to see the calipers. We used individual parts to assemble the braided brake hoses for convenience and easy repair/mods (for example if he swaps bars). The stock master cylinder was fine (and improves hydraulic advantage) while the braided hoses sufficiently limit wasted motion.

I'd previously done both my FXRs (which had 39mm front ends and clear the caliper backs) with pleasing results.

Even if you just do pads this time it's worth keeping in mind. I rode stock dual discs with braided lines and various pads including EBC since my first FXR in 1988. I don't miss them and they're on the wall with other fossil crap.
      Attached Files

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

I would like to second Farmall on those brakes. They're cheap and they work awesome.

I used touring lowers, but if brackets work? They'd be worth considering.

Dual 11.5" rotors and 4 pot calipers really make a difference over the stock setup and they look cool.

Got the calipers for almost nothing at a swap meet. (Nobody wants them. They all want the fancy Brembo calipers now)

Got the rotors brand new for 35 bucks a piece on Ebay, and they had removable center rings to accommodate different wheels. (And holes so they match the back. You can get the stock ones at a swap meet for ten bucks.)

It's not too much brake, either. Feels and works like it should have been made that way but wasn't.

Used the stock master and a tee and an adapter to put it together. Cheapo lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210603_161901_HDR.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	1318990

You can also rebuild your stock calipers for almost nothing. Seals.. Pistons if you need them. Dennis Kirk has it or you can dig around ebay and find them easy.
        Last edited by confab; 06-27-2021, 9:23 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;