CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Timing for dummies(me) 🤪

So, Iíve timed this bike of mine a million times... itís a 77 FXE. I recently did a top end rebuild, and since I was into it I figured new points, condenser and advanced weights. Well, I bolted it all up and now when Iím on my timing mark (the vertical line and yes thatís my mark. Itís been timed to it for years) my points are not lining up with my cam lobe. I mean from right to left of the hole and from end to end rotation on the plate... what the F&@$. I didnít touch the bottom end, I didnít open up the cam chest.... my only theory to cure my madness; did I some how get the wrong set of advance weights? Admittedly, they are cheap... my first regret, but my only thought is that theyíre made wrong or for a different bike. Any thoughts?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you have done this a few times, you know the advance unit is keyed to the cam with a small roll pin on the backside of the unit, that fits the slot in the nose of the cam. Did you miss hitting the slot, or is the pin missing from the advance unit?

Also, the point cam position is foolproofed with another tiny pin and a flat on the point cam that will clear it. The point cam can be installed 180 degrees out, even with the pin in place, by mistake (usually bends the pin out of the way).

Sounds like one of these two things has happened.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've gotta ask cause I've been bit. Are the new points exactly like the old ones? Screw holes and follower the same, etc.

Jim, thanks for the input but no the advance unit is all in great shape. No bent pins on either end. The pin for the camshaft was is in the slot, and the points cam is installed with the pin on the flat side.

Share This