CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    Sportster I fear will become a Hipster Must have at any cost ...
    I think that is exactly what will happen. I see it with Shovels, now.

Gone is the $3500 dollar, beat up rebuilder..

They can't fix them, so they're paying a premium for anything that runs. Or even might run.

The Ironhead sporty will probably end up in the same category at some point.

And, in fairness? They're cool looking bikes. Classics. I can see why Hipsters would want them.

It's the only affordable, legit antique, harley left.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    I think that is exactly what will happen. I see it with Shovels, now.

Gone is the $3500 dollar, beat up rebuilder..

They can't fix them, so they're paying a premium for anything that runs. Or even might run.

The Ironhead sporty will probably end up in the same category at some point.

And, in fairness? They're cool looking bikes. Classics. I can see why Hipsters would want them.

It's the only affordable, legit antique, harley left.
    Yeah, i've felt this way for a whilst. But, i've found someone i'd like to pass my Shovel to. Over the past few years i've cleared some of the parts stash, including two hardtail frames. Both are now finished bikes on the street ridden by younger men. Maybe we should pass the torch , let someone have a taste of past glory that'll never be repeated.

Get Adobe Flash player

don't think there are any kids I know who appreciate an old shovel,
    other than a buddy's 20 year old Daughter who blats about on a 750 Monster,
    if anyone gets it, it'll be her I reckon, she works hard & keeps getting fucked over by cheap assed bosses & deserves a break.

Get Adobe Flash player

Maybe we should pass the torch , let someone have a taste of past glory that'll never be repeated.
    I'm GenX and this is my first Harley, so I'm not ready to do any torch passing just yet.

But I do think maybe the Hipsters of today are the future of classic Harleys, tomorrow.

At least they're trying.. The Classic Harley/Chop Cult culture is a retro culture and they're legitimately into it and making an effort. (Juxtaposed to the Yuppie dbags who just buy a prebuilt "bobber" to be "cool")

If someone is still riding old bikes around when I'm ready to give mine up, or it ends up killing me? It will probably the Hipsters of today.

I think a bunch of their culture is shit, but I can't hate them for liking old bikes.. I like them?

Someone has to keep them around or they'll cease to exist. And they're too pretty for that.

Get Adobe Flash player

don't think there are any kids I know who appreciate an old shovel,
    other than a buddy's 20 year old Daughter who blats about on a 750 Monster,
    if anyone gets it, it'll be her I reckon, she works hard & keeps getting fucked over by cheap assed bosses & deserves a break.
    I dunno? I'm seeing a bunch of younger people into old bikes.

Europe is lousy with them. Way more so than here. I subscribed to a Euro biker magazine just because they're doing it right, while the US still has too many hand grenades, revolver cylinders and chromed out trailer queens to be interesting.

Harleys are a really tough slog for the uninitiated Hipster, though.

The prices are high. The learning curve is steep. The used market is dominated by a bunch of people who know exactly what they have and what it is worth now. Loads of specialized tools and knowledge is required.

It will be tough for them to break into it. An old Sportster project is probably a good jumping off point/trial by fire for them, if they're really interested.

Get Adobe Flash player

PS: That's what makes CC so great for noobies. There's no way to learn all of this on the fly without going bankrupt today.

Seriously.. Someone, or a couple of someone's, from here should write a comprehensive book about different platforms and sell it for a mint.

There's a whole bunch of knowledge that isn't in the 40 year old service manual.

I'd do it if I could! But I can't.

Get Adobe Flash player

no fuck with hipster DNA or beard wax will get any of my kit,
    I'll make sure of that!!
    the fucks have killed affordable biking for those who cant afford a decent old bike because of them jacking up prices,
    they'll move on to something else & ruin that for the really interested, fuckin fashionistas...They'll be buying up 'My Little Pony' shit next !!! hahahahaha
    Last edited by tzienlee; 06-27-2021 at 4:09 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

They'll be buying up 'My Little Pony' shit next !!! hahahahaha
    lol

Get Adobe Flash player

As part of getting this house ready to sell I have been going through 35 years of crap. My Little Pony, yep got some, Beanie Baby's got a HUGE plastic bin full of the suckers along with their tags. Some of these HAVE to be worth a few bucks.

Ah the joys of raising two girls, lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    As part of getting this house ready to sell I have been going through 35 years of crap. My Little Pony, yep got some, Beanie Baby's got a HUGE plastic bin full of the suckers along with their tags. Some of these HAVE to be worth a few bucks.

Ah the joys of raising two girls, lol.
    Ha, ha , you were the only rooster in the henhouse there!

Get Adobe Flash player

I always wondered about the day when someone goes looking for a vintage, say Evo, Sportster. Only to find that the majority of them have been hard tailed by todays trend.

Get Adobe Flash player

What might really help get younger people involved is if old fuckers didn’t horde their shit! Dude I bought my Shovelhead motor from had a barn full of bikes that he’ll never have the time or money to let them ever see the road in his lifetime. He had at least two Panheads and two Flatheads that I could see plus tons of parts. His wife will probably sell them for scrap when he dies if they don’t rust to shit before then. There are probably thousands of vintage bikes like that sitting in barns across the country because people can’t let go of their dreams that they will never fulfill or think of them as “investments.” If you aren’t riding it or fixing it, sell it!

Get Adobe Flash player

his bikes & if he wants to keep them then bloody good for him, he obviously worked hard to get what he has & doesn't want any hipster fucks stealing his bikes for 10 cents on the dollar only to turn them round to another hipster for top dollar & more !!
    he will pass them on if he thinks & is pretty sure they will be owned & respected for what they are & not just seen by someone as a cash cow

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    His wife will probably sell them for scrap when he dies if they don’t rust to shit before then.
    Nope. His buddies won't let that happen, they'll make sure that however it moves on she'll get a fair price.

Get Adobe Flash player

So one of the upholsterers I know has an older ( look who's talking) lady working for him. She has a shitload of bikes and parts from her late husband. I talked to her a bit and she wanted $5k for a panhead frame ( I didn't even ask if it was a straight leg ).

The problem is all her hubbies buddies told her it is all solid gold and so she expects to cash in. I actually feel bad for her cause if she priced stuff at a "decent" price she could pad her retirement account. I think she is going to die with all this stuff and her kids will inherit it all.

Get Adobe Flash player

Harleys have turned out to be a much better investment that I think anyone would have guessed. Even a few short years ago?

Corvettes turned the corner some years ago and are at such a point now, I wouldn't WANT a C2. If you have me one I would sell it. Why have it? So it can sit in a garage and I can polish it? You can't have any fun with it. it's too valuable now. It's a showpiece and little more.

As far as an "investment" goes, a lot of people made a lot of money on them till they topped out. Now there's high asking prices but, when it comes down to it? i don't know how much interest anyone really has in a 65 thousand dollar garage queen? I have zero. They can keep them. And the first rule of investing is that anything is only really "worth" what someone will give you for it right now. That is its true value, and regardless how cool you think it is.

I think Knuckleheads may be entering this "over priced garage queen" phase now. Or they're getting close. Other models may follow, eventually.

The coolest thing about antique Harley Davidsons is riding them and seeing other people ride them. They may price themselves away from that soon.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    The problem is all her hubbies buddies told her it is all solid gold and so she expects to cash in. I actually feel bad for her cause if she priced stuff at a "decent" price she could pad her retirement account. I think she is going to die with all this stuff and her kids will inherit it all.
    Yeah, thats the flip side of it. It's a real pain in the ass to organize and liquidate stuff, but its too bad her dead hubby's buds won't actually help her with it.

I am excited to see this new Harley 1250. I love sportster and think there great. Its long over due for them to update the platform. I don't understand why they don't keep the sportster name going. I think the 883 iron style bike was right on, for a basic bobber. I think the Indian scout has taken alot of sales from Harley. They need to try something new.

Get Adobe Flash player

According to a leak the replacement is just going to be called the Sportster S, so even with a completely different frame and engine the Sportster lives on at least in name.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by cdwillis View Post
    According to a leak the replacement is just going to be called the Sportster S, so even with a completely different frame and engine the Sportster lives on at least in name.
    Well, the new sportster is out......
    Well, whaddya all think? Surprised that the Pan America is more powerful, yet $1k less expensive. Where did the 'sport' bit get lost? Ya won't be taking anyone on the back either. Better looking than the Indian Scout.

And another thing...forward controls suck on a Sportster, at least mids are an option.
    Last edited by Hoghead; 07-14-2021 at 12:32 AM.

Share This