Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Franchot
    • Apr 2024

EFI to Carb

Hello everyone, been a lurker of this forum for a couple years now but just made this profile.

I bought a 2017 Iron, chopped it with the help of a buddy in town and kept it EFI.

Pic of it bone stock : Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135_Original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	1346802

Pic of it currently : Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4928.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	1346803

Now the bike has been pretty spot on since it was finished but more recently I am having some intermittent electrical issues which has prompted me to do what I wanted to do from the get go and convert it to carb.

I was looking into investing in an AMM-P3 ignition and constructing a wiring harness from scratch.

or

attaining a stripped down 2004 wiring harness from "the sportster treatment' as well as whatever sensors I would need.

Regardless I was going to buy the S&S 2004+ Carb conversion kit that includes the carb/manifold and get the necessary parts to run a petcock and what not.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with using the older harness on a newer bike? I'll likely end up going with the Thunderheart but wanted to hear what other people did.

Any guidance and help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2021, 6:29 PM.
  • Franchot
    • Jun 2021

So Im replying to my own thread from another account by the same name because my old account was lost during an forum update.

So I got the bike running last Sunday and she moves under her own power. Gotta just tie up any loose ends and she'll be golden.

Parts list of what I bought were as follows. (that come to mind)

S&S Super E kit for 2004-2006 Sportsters
    Thunderheart ignition for Twin cams
    Hammer performance carb manifold(without the map sensor hole) for EFI heads w/ adaptor to mount a for Super E to it.
    * switched to a V-twin manifold designed to mate a Super E to EFI heads I stumbled upon sans adapter* *both setups will work will work*
    Low brow EFI tank petcock adaptor
    22mm petcock
    Some extra wiring
    Assortment of ring terminals
    Heat shrink
    Ignition key switch
    Key switch bracket
    Two 30 amp inline fuse holders
    Custom coil bracket for the coil/ module
    Some tank lifts
    some Deutsch plug kit (connects to factory crank sensor plug)
    misc hardware from ACE

if anyone needs any guidance or help lmk.

Update 8/02/21
    Small update for whomever :

The manifold that was supplied with the 2004-2006 S&S kit can work with the EFI heads. Some have stated that they had leaks and some haven't. In my case I purchased some thicker James manifold gaskets and that did the trick, so far so good. The Hammer performance manifold was a perfect fit but because it was designed to be used with a Mikuni/CV carb the adaptor needed to mate it to a Super E pushed the carb out a bit much for my liking. I'll be keeping the Hammer performance manifold for if I decide to switch carbs.

Another update 09/15/21
    V-twin makes a manifold specifically made to mount a Super E to EFI heads, just stumbled upon it by mistake. Machining isn't the best but it makes sealing the manifold to the heads easier due to the correct spacing. Also forgo the thicker Genuine James gaskets, OEM style are better as they let the flanges sit on the head, It's what I am using atm...

also, jetting that worked for me as as follows.

.28 Intermediate
    .66 Main
    .60 Main air bleed

Might go up to a .295 intermediate jet because the jetting is right on the cusp of being a tad lean and I don't want it coughing up a storm if I go down to sea level. That or restrict my intake a bit..

Last edited by Franchot; 09-15-2021, 2:18 PM. Reason: updates

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Cool conversion, and thanks for posting the details! As they age more EFI Sportsters will go cheap and as the last traditional Sporty top end are the last Sportsters that won't look like ass as classic chops.
      Nice bike/

Comment

• Franchot
        • Jun 2021

Thanks dude.
        Originally posted by farmall
        Cool conversion, and thanks for posting the details! As they age more EFI Sportsters will go cheap and as the last traditional Sporty top end are the last Sportsters that won't look like ass as classic chops.
        Nice bike/

Comment

• Franchot
          • Jun 2021

Small update for whomever :

The manifold that was supplied with the 2004-2006 S&S kit can work with the EFI heads. Some have stated that they had leaks and some haven't. In my case I purchased some thicker James manifold gaskets and that did the trick, so far so good. The Hammer performance manifold was a perfect fit but because it was designed to be used with a Mikuni/CV carb the adaptor needed to mate it to a Super E pushed the carb out a bit much for my liking. I'll be keeping the Hammer performance manifold for if I decide to switch carbs.

Comment

• Down
            • Jan 2016

Thanks for posting the details, man! Your bike looks good! Did you notice any change of character now that you're running a carb?

Comment

• Franchot
              • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Down
              Thanks for posting the details, man! Your bike looks good! Did you notice any change of character now that you're running a carb?
              Thanks! Bike runs great after ironing out some kinks. I would say that the bike isn't as smooth as EFI in some circumstances but very close. The bike gained a a bit of power in the mid to top end as well. The idle sounds noticeably different. Best of all the bike is MUCH easier to work on and diagnose if you are even remotely mechanically inclined.
              Last edited by Franchot; 09-15-2021, 2:20 PM.

Comment

• Alexrichmond921
                • Apr 2016

Bike looks super good! Couple of questions, what hardtail is that and how did you mount your passenger pegs? I have the ledsled hardtail for mine and used prism supply clamp on passenger pegs

Comment

• Franchot
                  • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Alexrichmond921
                  Bike looks super good! Couple of questions, what hardtail is that and how did you mount your passenger pegs? I have the ledsled hardtail for mine and used prism supply clamp on passenger pegs
                  Thanks man!

The hardtail is a Mercury Moto piece, hit Rene up, dude is solid.

The passenger pegs are actually the factory Harley pieces that mount the the rear master and the cradle respectively.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;