Sportster shuts off on deceleration. Grounds good, coil new, and battery is charging

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChoppaTime
    • Aug 2019

Sportster shuts off on deceleration. Grounds good, coil new, and battery is charging

So my sportster shuts down on decel, as in when I'm downshifting. Once I'm stopped and cycle the ignition it turns back on again. This happens intermittently but is frequent enough that it's a safety issue. Grounds seem to be good, coil is new, ignition is a vt-i Twin Tec. Any ideas?
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

New ignition switch? No loose connections anywhere? Grounds checked with a meter while wiggling same, other connections ditto?

I would swap ignitions (you can always use a spare ignition since they're consumables, I keep both points and electronic) then see if problem repeats). Always keep spare complete ignition systems handy for any motorcycle you intend to keep. It's like not buying asswipe by the sheet.

Comment

• thecarfarmer
      • Dec 2016

"So my sportster shuts down on decel, as in when I'm downshifting..."

Originally posted by farmall

Grounds checked with a meter while wiggling same, other connections ditto?
      A/K/A the "Ford test" where I used to work. Found some weird, intermittent problems with that test... Probably the best place to start looking.

Also, did this just start happening one day, or the bike's been that way since you got it? Was anything changed on the bike before it started? Is it something that started happening occasionally and is getting worse?

Float level in carb correct? (Drag cars sometimes can have problems caused by fuel slosh that show up in the burnout box or first gear - when you start back up, does it start cleanly or sputter like clearing extra fuel?)

Bike have a bank angle switch? If so, maybe remove the bolt and try tipping it forward with the bike running, see if it kills it. Or make a bypass for it and test...

Just throwing some thoughts and questions for other places to look if "Plan A" doesn't pan out

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

It shuts down............. Does it happen like someone shut off a switch, or does it sputter and then die?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;