Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smiley
    • Jun 2012

2021 scheduled back up data loss

Will there be any type of official announcement from the site owners about the hard drive crash and the prospective recovery of this years threads and other articles?
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

An announcement is asking for overmuch. If they were THAT important you'd have saved them yourself which is always an option. Shit happens and every website will eventually cease to be. EVERY website.

Given only ~100 posts you've little personal investment in the place compared to volume posters.

Learn how to save threads as web pages as you go, then learn to back those up along with everything else you care to archive. If you care about your data, back it up. If you care about publicly accessible data, back it up. If you or anyone else aren't ALWAYS fully prepared for every computing device you own to be destroyed at the same time, you/they didn't really care about the data. Drive space is cheap and online backup is free or cheap. Use both and more.

Learn how the internet works. It's easy and you've the resources at your fingertips. Then you can use search tools on your own backups and have them instantly available offline.

Comment

• Smiley
      • Jun 2012

I do save what's important. I'm not worried about any personal loss but that of others who might not save reference materials. Just strange for a site to experience such an incident and then ignore it happened but maybe that's just the way it is.
      My IT guy, who is also a member says it seems odd that a disk crash only seems to have deleted the 2021 php files but the html files were unaffected. Maybe they were on different servers.
      Last edited by Smiley; 06-20-2021, 4:57 PM. Reason: new info added

Comment

• Smiley
        • Jun 2012

The number of posts should not determine a members investment of involvement with any site. I've have been here since the start in 2009, reregistered in 2010 and 2011 with different user names and have sent a lot of people to Chop Cult over the past 12 years, especially the last 9 after my own board went on the backburner.
        I only post when something needs additional comments. Many members here post quotes from my site in response to questions so I seldom need to chime in.

Comment

• LisaBallard
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Smiley
          Will there be any type of official announcement from the site owners about the hard drive crash and the prospective recovery of this years threads and other articles?
          The owner is still working on getting things up and running. It looks like members, threads, features were lost, and we aren't sure if they can be retrieved (sorry). I'll be uploading the missing articles and event listings once he completes his many tasks one bringing the mobile version up to speed. He has upgraded the backup/hosting and we are hoping this issue doesn't happen again. More info coming soon.
          Last edited by LisaBallard; 06-20-2021, 7:52 PM.

Comment

• LisaBallard
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Smiley
            I do save what's important. I'm not worried about any personal loss but that of others who might not save reference materials. Just strange for a site to experience such an incident and then ignore it happened but maybe that's just the way it is.
            My IT guy, who is also a member says it seems odd that a disk crash only seems to have deleted the 2021 php files but the html files were unaffected. Maybe they were on different servers.
            I have been honest and open - see other thread on the same topic - we aren't ignoring anything. I say we because it is the owner and I operating this machine. We have 3 hard drives on our sever, one for the website, one for the data base, and then the backup. The database hard drive had a complete failure, this happened during the backup phase. End of story.

Our only goal right now is to get the site running smoothly once again.

Comment

• Smiley
              • Jun 2012

We noticed the mySQl server had several attempted accesses before the crash and this has been seen by other sites running Vbulletin that had 'drive crashes'. I can give you the user I.D., name and password they used if that might help.
              Keep on truckin.

Comment

• LisaBallard
                • Jul 2009

Update- the event page is live and I have added some with more to come, http://www.chopcult.com/browse_events.php. Peace

Comment

• DustyDave
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

When you know that there's no more chance to bring anymore back would you make an announcement? I hate to mess with my build thread only to find you goy it back. Until there's nothin else to do but replicate it my self I'll wait with baited breath!
                  Dusty
                  Driving that train, high on cocaine
                  Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                  Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                  And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• LisaBallard
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DustyDave
                    When you know that there's no more chance to bring anymore back would you make an announcement? I hate to mess with my build thread only to find you goy it back. Until there's nothin else to do but replicate it my self I'll wait with baited breath!
                    Dusty
                    Will do! Thanks for being cool about the issues at hand. The owner and tech are working overtime to get everything running correctly. One of the issues is the site is old (created back in 2009), and there's a lot of coding in the backend. The desktop version looks suitable for the most part, but the mobile version has them scratching their heads at the moment. I am hoping they get it fixed soon so I can start kicking out new features and more. It seems that the scheduled backup mishap eliminated most of 2020, and if there is a year to forget about, I say 2020 should be gone, lol.

Threads: - I noticed some of the old threads are reappearing. Maybe give them another week before moving forward and rebuilding threads. We are sorry for the loss and extra work.

Features: They have some of the old features back, but it looks like we lost the back half of 2020. Luckily, I have most of the content on my hard drive and will slowly build them back out.

Events: I have to update all events manually. It is time-consuming, but I will get it handled shortly. I started adding the ones I know about.... :-)

Classifieds: Most of 2020's listings are lost (sorry). I would say make a new listing to make some cash. Keep in mine, never send anyone cash through PP or Venmo as family and friend unless you know them.

Members: We remain 60,000 strong and no one's information was at risk during the back up fiasco. ChopCult wasn't hacked, it suffered a data lost during a scheduled backup. The owner has purchased additional server and cloud space to protect the community.

Please DM or contact me at [email protected] if you see an issue. I appreciate your help and membership!
                    Talk soon.
                    Lisa

Comment

• LisaBallard
                      • Jul 2009

I sent out a newsletter yesterday explaining everything -https://mailchi.mp/chopcult/to-whom-it-may-concern

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;