Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSWarrior76
    • Jun 2021

Title in NC

I aquired a motorcycle in a trade for another vehicle. It did not come with a title. I have a bill of sale. I was wondering how hard it was to get a title issued in NC without the old title or registration. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Rule #1 is don't buy (or trade for) a vehicle without a title in NC. That will save you a WORLD of trouble.

But, if you are here:

You must take the vehicle and any paperwork to an NCDMV office. If you ask around motorcycle shops, someone may be able to steer you toward an office or officer that is motorcycle friendly. They will run the numbers on frame and motor and if the numbers come up clean, you will be allowed to apply for a new title. You may have to apply for a bond title, and the bond can be issued by your insurance company.

If you traded for a vehicle without a title, don't be surprised to find that the vehicle has a lein on it, and you can kiss it goodbye if you are not willing to satisfy the lein.

The DMV will also come to your location to inspect a vehicle. I would avoid that at all costs.

This can be a long process, and you may not be able to title the vehicle in the end, or you may come away empty handed. See Rule #1, above.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

How much hassle are bonded titles in NC?

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Been there, done that in NC:

NC does NOT recognize Bill of Sales (But show it anyway if they ask, it is a supporting document), unless the BOS came from a state that DOES recognize BOS's (I beleive Vermont and Alabama may be the only two). Whatever you do, dont go making documents. Ill leave it at that.....

1. Contact the NC State Patrol or DMV, arrange for an inspector to come and inspect the bike. Since there were no numbers on my frame (Custom frame with a early 90's EVO motor), the inspector, who was a dick, actually SCRAPED the paint off the right side of the neck to look for numbers (Freshly painted frame). I mean he scraped a patch about 10" long and 3" tall. The inspector even called the indy shop that I bought the motor from right in front of me and asked "Hey, I got another stolen bike from you guys I am inspecting" (He was joking, he knew the shop owner pretty well, but I wasnt amused, especially after he just scraped the paint off the frame)

ALSO BE sure it will pass State Safety inspection standards at that point, or the Trooper will just walk away It must meet the NC road safety standard when they come by to inspect (And no, they dont hand out a insp sticker even if it meets standards at that point)

2. If the inspector is satisfied with the above, he will start the paperwork

3. You then need to get bonded insurance. YEARS ago it was like $150. The ins protects the state of NC in case sometime in the future the bike comes up stolen, and the rightful owner wants it back and decides to sue the state

4. Take Proof of bond ins to DMV. In time you will get a LONG state assigned VIN, then you can apply for title. I cant remember if they must inspect again or not after VIN issue to ensure it is placed on the bike before title is granted. I do remember I rode it the station and they did one last inspection. And yes, it must pass NC saftey inspection standards at the same time And agin, no, they dont issue a insp sticker (Yiou can only get that at a auth inspection station

Aside from the time and smartassery, it wasnt that difficult

I recommend you take the time and actually call DMV or the Troopers and find the local inspector office. Visit them and ask them to completely explain what they will look for and the procedure. Dont trust me on the procedure, for all I know it might have changed over the years

People hit them with BOS's only all the time. Chances are you will actually meet the inspector that handles your area. Get to know him, the procedure and have everything ready when they arrive.

Its a govt maze, be patient and ready for thier inspection

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

Sorry, but to answer the question: Bonded ins is easy, one time payment. Do a quick I net search........

Comment

• ac72rat
            • Mar 2012

How bout the Vermont thing, still gotta run numbers with LEO , but BOS is all thats needed 15 yrs or older just did one last month fwiw

Comment

• DustyDave
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ac72rat
              How bout the Vermont thing, still gotta run numbers with LEO , but BOS is all thats needed 15 yrs or older just did one last month fwiw
              Which company did you use? Which company is currently providing good service probably ought to be a pinned thread!
              Driving that train, high on cocaine
              Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
              Trouble ahead, trouble behind
              And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

So the companies that deal in Vermont or Alabama BOS's (If Ala still recognizes BOS), do work and are legit (At leat the one I did biz with).

Contact them. They take the BOS and will send you a packet to fill out. They WILL do VIN check for stolen or improper numbers, and I beleive your vehicle must be 15 or 20 YO. Basically you will "sell" them your vehicle, then they turn around, go to the DMV, and get you everything you need to title in your state.

These companies specialize in restorers or folks that find a vehicle but the title has been lost over the years. They do cars, MCs, boats, etc

I did a bike WAY back thru the Vermont company, maybe 20 years ago, and it cost $300. I did it again maybe 3 years ago, and it cost $800

Ill see if I cant find the biz. Be fore warned they are SERIOUS about reporting stolen or bad VINs to the Law. Thats how they have stayed in biz for so long . So do your own VIN verification before you start the process

Comment

• docmel
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by docmel
                  So the companies that deal in Vermont or Alabama BOS's (If Ala still recognizes BOS), do work and are legit (At leat the one I did biz with).

Contact them. They take the BOS and will send you a packet to fill out. They WILL do VIN check for stolen or improper numbers, and I beleive your vehicle must be 15 or 20 YO. Basically you will "sell" them your vehicle, then they turn around, go to the DMV, and get you everything you need to title in your state.

These companies specialize in restorers or folks that find a vehicle but the title has been lost over the years. They do cars, MCs, boats, etc

I did a bike WAY back thru the Vermont company, maybe 20 years ago, and it cost $300. I did it again maybe 3 years ago, and it cost $800

Ill see if I cant find the biz. Be fore warned they are SERIOUS about reporting stolen or bad VINs to the Law. Thats how they have stayed in biz for so long . So do your own VIN verification before you start the process
                  Check this out. This will tell you what the process is w/o paying a middle man. If its true, its a unbelievable easy process and hardly costs shit If its true, wish I knew thd deal at the time

https://www.motorcyclezombies.com/re...%20if%20needed.

OK, Ive done allot of the work for you: Now its your turn to do the work and let us know what you find

Good luck

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;