CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Swapping a front end on a Sucker Punch Sally

Greetings! I have a 2008 SPS 66 Bobber with 41mm telescopic with Pro-One lowers and wide glide triple tree. Itís a 30 degree, no stretch rigid frame with 16Ē wheels in front and back.
    I was wondering if I could do a straight swap with a 2009 FXR 49mm mid glide front end with the stock trees. I believe itís has a 29 degree stock rake.
    My goal is to go to a narrower front end with a 19Ē wheel.
    Thanks in advance 👊🏼
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C66CAD7D-7F51-4F6C-A222-F6EA59EA9D79.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	103979

Name:	83D0B812-CE40-485E-8075-14580D8C9698.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	103980

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Put a real rear fender on it first
    Castration would be a real bummer

Yes it should bolt right on
    Measure bottom tree to axle lengths and compare

Buddy of mine got bounced out of the saddle simply by speeding through a dipped intersection.
    Slid right past his tiny fender and onto the rear tire.
    Tire pantsed him instantly.
    Took a bunch of skin off the back and inner thighs too.

Ha! Way ahead of you. Having a steel rear fender put on this week. Itís all painted up.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Saw an FXR front end on eBay and was on the fence about getting it. I think Iíll pull the trigger.

Name:	5C8A394A-DB3C-409B-B6B7-5ABAB5F0CFB3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	103991

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post

Yes it should bolt right on
    Measure bottom tree to axle lengths and compare

Buddy of mine got bounced out of the saddle simply by speeding through a dipped intersection.
    Slid right past his tiny fender and onto the rear tire.
    Tire pantsed him instantly.
    Took a bunch of skin off the back and inner thighs too.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't believe that 49mm is much narrower than the 41mm you have on there now. If you really want to change it up, put a 39mm narrow glide on with a 19" front wheel. It's a good performing front end and will noticeably improve the handling compared to that wide glide. Your call, homie.

Ahh much appreciate that. I will check out some 39mm narrow glide front ends. And see if I can find out measurement differences between the narrow and mid. My whole objective is to change look. I think my wide glide looks too big for that small SPS. Thanks! ����

So I have another question regarding the front end. Seeing as I’m going from a 16” wheel to a 19” wheel. Is there some sort of formula that determines how long the forks should be? I see on eBay plenty of forks and some offer +1” or +2” length on the fork. How do I know what I would need for the bigger wheel? If needing any at all. Again I appreciate any input.

Get Adobe Flash player

The formula is your eyeball. There are more Sporties with 39mm forks than anything else but Dynas and FXRs have them. There are definitely more Sporty choppers.

No additional fork length is required for any wheel. The diameter differences can be found with some looking. I don't bother remembering them since all mine get 19" wheels.

Easy way is buy a standard (not a Low) Sporty front end ya like complete with a wheel ya like and install it. If want more length the Trackerdie damper rods add some and add more travel (which is why I bought them but my FXR is in midair so pix would be useless). If want even more ya can buy tubes but for the way your bike sits I think a stock front end would look good. If you find the springs too soft you can add a set of Progressives or PVC spacer what you have to stiffen them. Check the Sportsterpedia fork section for 39mm info.

Originally Posted by Sky:
    I hate it when my sack gets jammed against the transmission. I cracked two gearboxes that way before l learned to throw it over my shoulder.

Makes sense. Thanks! I’ll focus on a standard.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    The formula is your eyeball. There are more Sporties with 39mm forks than anything else but Dynas and FXRs have them. There are definitely more Sporty choppers.

No additional fork length is required for any wheel. The diameter differences can be found with some looking. I don't bother remembering them since all mine get 19" wheels.

Easy way is buy a standard (not a Low) Sporty front end ya like complete with a wheel ya like and install it. If want more length the Trackerdie damper rods add some and add more travel (which is why I bought them but my FXR is in midair so pix would be useless). If want even more ya can buy tubes but for the way your bike sits I think a stock front end would look good. If you find the springs too soft you can add a set of Progressives or PVC spacer what you have to stiffen them. Check the Sportsterpedia fork section for 39mm info.

I hate it when my sack gets jammed against the transmission. I cracked two gearboxes that way before l learned to throw it over my shoulder.

Share This