CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Norton 850 swag-cicle

I picked this up the other month and began to put it together.

It's a 73 Commando by all accounts, fairly complete...every step I take raises another 5 questions but it's basically my holy grail bike since a Norton chopper first caught my attention when I was 4 yrs old standing on the roadside with my older brothers.

I'll post this while I upload some more...I painted tins and put decals on em, assembled bike from frame up to this point.

Dog

Get Adobe Flash player

found and packaged

Get Adobe Flash player

unpackaged

mocking

Get Adobe Flash player

start of rattlecan fiesta

and decals

Get Adobe Flash player

engine mounts etc

Get Adobe Flash player

fabbing seat bar mounts

Get Adobe Flash player

a few more...had to fab some pipes too

and some miskellaneous

now all I gotta do is everything else...

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice rescue! Nortons are more common and affordable than most bikers think (because old fuckers hoarded so many of them, and are now selling them off). Parts support is very good.

I suggest every Norton owner join a Norton group. INOA are great in the US and Canada, where the next annual rally is scheduled.

https://nortonrally.com/

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks Farmall, I've really enjoyed the project so far and looking forward to hearing this ol girl run...not sure if I'll be able to handle the ridiculous horsepower and speed after riding my ancient harleys so long lmao!

Get Adobe Flash player

You probably know about the Access Norton forums but others reading this may not. Lots of good info lives there. All the factory service manuals and parts books exist as free downloads (since the original Norton company is long gone).

Get Adobe Flash player

That looks like a great rescue and rebuild. When I got my 850 Commando in Vancouver I used a similar method of parts in a car - it was a rental.
    Access Norton forum^^^ has lots of great experience with the Nortons (and other Brits).

One of the guys has his own site; here is a one pager of Commando technical that may be helpful:
    Norton Commando Technical
    https://jerrydoe.com/norton-commando-technical/

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    That looks like a great rescue and rebuild. When I got my 850 Commando in Vancouver I used a similar method of parts in a car - it was a rental.
    LOL, I love rental car stories...very useful haulers

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    You probably know about the Access Norton forums but others reading this may not. Lots of good info lives there. All the factory service manuals and parts books exist as free downloads (since the original Norton company is long gone).
    There is several forums, the INOA has one as well. So does the NOC in the UK, As well as regional clubs. Brit-Iron used to be the gold standard for Not-Runs but has faded over the years. Brit-Bike is variable on Nortons but strong on BSA & Triumph.

AccessNorton is variable but wraps most things up in a nice package. I know Jerry who owns the site and met him at the 2016 INOA rally in California. The moderator LAB is all over the internet but interesting has never met Jerry in person. Some speculation he is a over caffeinated teenager living in his parents basement by the Salton sea.. but others say he is in Australia somewhere. But he is one of those "Imaginary internet" guys. He DOES do a lot of work though and without him Jerry says he would have to shut down AN.

(like our poor long suffering Lisa Ballard, Show some love to Lisa guys!,,,and no, that does not mean dick pix, I mean like real thank yous for the work keeping the site up!)

The problem with forums is, (I guess I am pot calling the kettle black here)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PotKettlec07aa.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	104020

But the advice and tech posted is variable. There IS some really knowledgeable people out there. AN there is some. But it takes a while to sort out the wheat from the chaff.
    Nortons are so variable. Incredible bikes, But occasionally you get a Wednesday bike and no issues, enough to establish a base line for a false premise and outliers that give rise to guys saying
    "I got X amount of miles for Y amount of years and have never had an issue!"

But Nortons are variable. First, few people leave them stock, 2) They had issues and defects depending on year. So much so, the INOA has 3 volumes (A 4th is overdue, but getting consensus is challenging) on how to fix all the issues on a C-Do. They break it down from Suspension, frame, Motor, intake and fuel, Ignition, trans & primary.

Then there is more ways to skin that cat. People argue endlessly about it. You can see this on AccessNorton easily. Brit-Iron such debates raged for years.

My take on it, and I got a lot of mentoring on this from the leading experts, Is that its a flawed product but with blueprinting and sensible mods and rebuilding its ONE COOL MACHINE!. Not a Honda or BMW smooth and problem free, But a raw visceral machine that when spot on is one hell of a kick in the ass.

I will add... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hypocrisygiphy.gif 
Views:	19 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	104021 That for decades, Most owners were cheap bast.....Sorry! "Economy Conscious British Bike Consumers"... But as a shop I struggled with them. I had a hard time building one to sell and make any money. Prices for a decent bike stayed artificially low. ($3500- $6,000) But now,, they are climbing and are a niche commodity.

*** I think Buells will eventually follow the same path.

Im in the Norton clubs and been a lecturer at rallies. I also bought and tell the unique Norton chapter when Norton America was here in Oregon and use it to promote our local museum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lottatorque.Norton.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	104022

Get Adobe Flash player

"Variable" is a way of saying "extremely delicate" since the transmission is marginal and the 1930s drivetrain is generally rather limited. They're light, pretty and fun. "Rugged" applies to nothing on them like all Britbikes.

They're delightful second or third motorcycles and still cheap in the US. Prices were slowly rising until the economy got destroyed but they're not expensive and thanks to Isolastic they're my other favorite Britbike (I'm masochist enough to have a Trident, and just scored another, an older resto 1969).

Share This