Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickthrash99
    • Jan 2019

crashed my shovelhead

guys im in a bit of a problem i crashed my shovelhead at low speeds and now (noticed after inspecting my front end thoroughly) my wheel is kicked off to the left after it being on its kickstand, i rock my handlebars side to side violently and kicks back to center then again i lean my bike on its kick stand and its kicked off to the left, iwant to know what i can salvage from my set up as i just finished building this two weeks ago and havnt enjoyed it enough, thanks for the help guys
  • Hoghead
    • Jun 2015

Do the fork tubes show any sign of damage? I'd be tempted , if not, to loosen the fender bolts, front axle nut , and the pinch bolts on the lower trees , line it all up and re tighten to see if it cures it.

Comment

• rickthrash99
      • Jan 2019

ive done that there brother about 4 times now and every time i lean the bike on its kick stand the wheel goes out of alignment

Comment

• rickthrash99
        • Jan 2019

also i have an update i found a picture before the crash from the front view and i can see its been crooked even before the crash, im blown away and have alot of stupid questions to ask

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

Originally posted by rickthrash99
          also i have an update i found a picture before the crash from the front view and i can see its been crooked even before the crash, im blown away and have alot of stupid questions to ask

We really cant help unless you post those pics (Before and after)

Comment

• tzienlee
            • Apr 2024

rip them off, strip them down and see what's bent,
            tubes, Trees & wheels are fairly cheap & loads out there either new or used in good condition.
            if it's a single disc look at getting a twin disc slider & caliper for the right side, far better than the single,
            single discs are far too weak for a heavy bike like that, & a single disc can twist the forks a bit when in use,
            only reason I can see that they only fitted a single was that the factory were cheap fecks out to save a buck.
            check the axle by rolling it on a known flat surface like a surface gauge if you have access to one,
            at the same time roll the fork stanchion's (tubes), incase they got bent in ya crash....

Comment

• rickthrash99
              • Jan 2019

Image D90-C8-F39-A5-C9-429-F-B738-6-F2-B899-D09-AA hosted in ImgBB

Image B5-BD7375-69-D0-48-D8-A692-85-B2-A94-EF9-AC hosted in ImgBB
              Attached Files

Comment

• rickthrash99
                • Jan 2019

this is a photo before the crash my wheel looked to be kicked of too the left since the getgo, ihave sealed ball bearings on the wheel, 6over tubes, tell you what the few times i rode her iwas able to roll with no hands, weird idk why if the wheel is kicked off, im mind blown over here, tried to align the wheel like the procedure says but everytime i put it on its kickstand the wheel goes outa wack

Comment

• tzienlee
                  • Apr 2024

not having a front fender doesn't help, they are designed to work as a fork brace,
                  it looks like the yokes(trees) might be twisted,
                  as you have had a crash it is worth taking apart, it'll take about a half hour to find the problem,
                  you could even have a twisted frame, twisted at the neck,..
                  I wouldn't ride it until I had rebuilt it & found out the problem causing it,
                  I wouldn't even think about NOT taking it apart,
                  but I guess it's all down to how highly ya value life or if ya like hospital food ?
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• rickthrash99
                    • Jan 2019

tzienlee thanks man ill take it apart after work today, ill post updates on what i find and dont find, my crash was going real slow say about 10mph nothing happens to the bike, i hit a ladies side door with the front wheel pointing right

Comment

• tzienlee
                      • Apr 2024

theres no saying what could be wrong without taking it apart I'm afraid, I have seen bikes totaled in a 10mph fall & one buddy who came a cropper after a 150mph blowout & 200 yard roll down the road that was hardly marked, other than bars & the odd dent in the tank etc, no rhyme or reason to it just bad luck, I hope for your sake that damage is minimal & easily fixed, but something looks well outa kilter there somewhere... use a surface plate/gauge & slips to check the trees for Squareness, roll the tubes & axle & spin the wheel & check with a dial gauge for run out, if all is good with no noticeable damage have a look at the frame neck, they are designed to take a vertical force & not so good with sideways forces

Comment

• rickthrash99
                        • Jan 2019

alright gentlemen i took off my front end and the frame is straight, my buddy rolled up brought me his 6 over 35mm same as mine and we slapped it on with the same wheel and its straighter than Hugh Heffner now ill inspect the trees and tubes tomorrow to see where exactly is the issue, also i had left it on its kickstand wheel turned to the left and the wheel is still straight
                        Last edited by rickthrash99; 06-18-2021, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• rickthrash99
                          • Jan 2019

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103925

Image BF9-E9006-6-B5-E-4465-B9-C3-FCE835909082 hosted in ImgBB
                          Attached Files

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                            • Oct 2016

I notice he has a fork brace on his front end. You really might want to try that or a fender mount. I have the 35mm tubes on mine and think it feels tighter with the fender on it.

Comment

• rickthrash99
                              • Jan 2019

doom buggy i agree with you i used to ride a 15over with a stablelizer one day it came loose and my wheel was not as sturdy(obviously) but also my chopper that got stollen 1month ago was 8over no stableizer and felt good as hell but it was also a 39mm gurthier so iwas at a loss, i bought this one from my buddy just to be safe

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;