2008 xl1200n for a 70s style chop, can it be done?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VApatriot
    • Mar 2020

2008 xl1200n for a 70s style chop, can it be done?

I've focused all my study on old sportsters/shovels, haven't looking into the new bikes much. Wanted to get some good ol chop cult input. I have a possibly good deal on a 2008 1200 nightster I might take, anything I should know about these newer bikes if my goal is to chop it up? (yes, anything can be done with enough beer). Probably a silly question but can't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance!
  • xMPRx
    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by VApatriot
    I've focused all my study on old sportsters/shovels, haven't looking into the new bikes much. Wanted to get some good ol chop cult input. I have a possibly good deal on a 2008 1200 nightster I might take, anything I should know about these newer bikes if my goal is to chop it up? (yes, anything can be done with enough beer). Probably a silly question but can't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance!
    This is my buddies fuel injected sporty build, not sure on exact year. start looking for a hardtail kit for your year bike. also there is a sub thread for sportsters on here. might find more info on there.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• VApatriot
      • Mar 2020

Originally posted by xMPRx
      This is my buddies fuel injected sporty build, not sure on exact year. start looking for a hardtail kit for your year bike. also there is a sub thread for sportsters on here. might find more info on there.

[IMG][/IMG]
      She sure is pretty! I'm not sure if I'll hardtail or not, I'll probably try some struts down the road and see how I like the rigid feel. Otherwise I'm a sucker for some long forks with shocks, and a chopped fender. But yeah will do, probably jumped the gun on my post but damn am I excited lol.

Comment

• LocoLocal
        • Sep 2018

Depends on what you mean by chop it up. What mods were you planning to do?

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Sportsters are plentiful and easy to sell or swap for other machines you might prefer esthetically. Money measures everything so before turning a wrench plan everything in full detail to get the result (with or without that specific motorcycle) you most want.

Ride your acquisition to determine if the weight and complexity of the rubbermount EFI years suit you, or even if you want to cutomize it differently (there are no rules, it's your bike).

Comment

• Sugarcubes
            • Apr 2024

Can it be done? Most definitely. Led Sled built a real nice chop out of a nightster some years back.

The stock modern sportster frames have thicker diameter tubing than the 70's ironheads and dont look as pretty when you hardtail them.

I had an efi sporty back in 2008 and bought a rigid frame to swap it into, so I could always put it back to the original bike. You would probably want to remove the EFI setup and put a carb on it to clean up all the wiring but its no biggie.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
              • Apr 2020

I would look for an 03 and earlier Sportster, preferably a 5 speed. Heres my EFI sportster, it's an 07.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210511_125931.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1318901

It's pretty custom but not a chopper. If you're good at fabricating stuff like frames and tabs and all that you might would be fine with a later model Sportster but usually It's a lot harder and more expensive to find chopper parts for the later models, compared to the earlier pre rubber mount models.

Plus theres some more wiring and stuff to deal with, and they're heavier than the early models. If I could go back I would've bought an earlier model.

Comment

• TomK
                • Oct 2013

If you already owned the bike and wanted to chop it, I would say go for it. Personally, I would not buy an 08 sportster to chop. You’ll save time, money, and effort chopping a rigid mount, chain drive sportster.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;