Ironhead frame differences (motor mounts)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lastRebel
    • May 2020

Ironhead frame differences (motor mounts)

Hey folks. I’m new but have been lurking for years. Maybe I didn’t use the right search terms, but I’m trying to figure out if a pre 70s 900 frame will take a late model (81) 1000 motor. I’ve only been able to find out that the rear mount is different, but can I change that mount and start stuffing? I have a lead on a hardtail frame a couple hours from me, but don’t want to waste time if it won’t work anyway.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

The rear motor mount location is the same on the '81 as on the earlier motors. The change in mount location was in '82 as far as I know, so you are OK there.

There is a crossbar between the peg mounts on the lower tubes that must be removed to clear the sump on the '77 and later motors. That will weaken the peg mount area of the frame, but if you are using the case mounted pegs of the '81, that has not proven to be a problem.

The '77 and later oil pump may not clear the right lower tube, and a flatted area may have to be added, as the stock '81 frame.

The front motor mount plates from the frame you are going to use should mount to the '81 motor with no problem.

Jim

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Not specific to your request for information, but relevant to the title of the thread (up to '72):

52-72 K & XL Frame Model Year
      Determination Flow Chart

See more technical info for the '52 - '72 years here:

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Check on the xlforum. Play with the search function but if necessary ask because there are some threads with good photos. I didn't save the links since I'm not doing that mod.

Remember title passes with frame on 1970 and up so if you get a frame without numbers either swap the neck to a titled neck or get a special construction title.

That bites a lot of bikers in the ass but most cops are clueless. I prefer to be sure than sorry.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;