CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 1966 A65 bsa hardtail question

I started cutting off the hardtail on my 1966 bsa A65L last night because it was twisted. It looks like a weld on bsa hardtail from british classic cycles. I didnt install the hardtail and have only owned the bike for a short period of time.
    I would like to weld slugs in at all the attachments from the hardtail to the frame loop. It looks like it would be tricky. Im wondering what other people’s experience is with it?
    Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFAD13A1-237D-4789-9032-8971CD626E13.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	103880

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Getting slugs in the tubing for the hardtail on A65 would be tricky...but could be done with a bunch of messin' around.

What about adding gusset plates at each location?

Did you confirm the original front section is not also twisted?

here is an install of a hardtail kit, onto an A65:

Hardtailing An A65 BSA

Name:	CSM-NOV2012.pg72_Page_1_Image_0002-640x603.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	103884
    https://cyclesource.com/31407/
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-30-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

This guy made his A65 weld on with a single seat post, so bottom rails can be slugged:

Name:	BSA A65 single seat post hardtail,cc.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	103885

2013 Thread: 71 BSA chop build thread.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29047

Yah it looks like gussets are the way to go. Thanks man

Get Adobe Flash player

Its kinda an open ended question. Not sure how to answer it because of many factors.
    But my experience is that, if you dont have a lot of experience working with British frames you better get some sort of guru quick
    or start doing some research.

Heres a couple things I can tell you. Many people who cut and weld on a BSA-Triumph or others fail badly because they fail to research and understand how they are made and what materials they are dealing with. Most of the frames are mild steel tubing bent up on jigs and fixtures and use castings in key locations. They are often assembled NOT by welding but a process called
    "Furnace Brazing" and often on hot bricks. Basically the tubing is set in jigs, the castings are heated up and then flux applied and a brazing slurry and the tubing and casting slid together with a torch working the joint to flow the brazing thru the whole joint.

When people go to weld on them, the welds bubble and turn into cobbly messes. You either have to removed the castings and ALL the Brazing material and then weld it. OR.... Braze them.

Secondly MOST add on hardtails to BSA Unit Twins look like crap. They dont have the right lines and look bent, cobbled on or sagging in the middle.

I have seen a few done where the frame lines look good and the bike looks good. But its rare. There is a reason so few people attempt it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Most hardtails do look odd on a Beeza which work better as short chops without rear frame stretch as the look of the aluminum egg better suits trackers. A long hardtail could be tack welded to see then shortened before final tack and finish weld.

I've not cut up any A65 frames but per the pics OP posted the top joint is welded. The casting joints are likely brazed but he's not disturbing those.

Share This