Help with Wiring Front Banjo Bolt and headlight. Keeps tripping the breaker.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1986SportyMike
    • Apr 2020

Help with Wiring Front Banjo Bolt and headlight. Keeps tripping the breaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	170DCC23-3B1C-4DFE-9611-F25933750480.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1346774

Hey everyone, I’m back and looking for more help. I’m running a banjo bolt brake switch on my front master cylinder but I keep tripping the breaker when engaged(if that’s what it’s called, it resets its self after). I’ve attached a picture of my current wiring, I hope it’s clear and can help. As noted in the picture I currently have wires labeled Red#2 and Orange#2 running to the banjo bolt, I haven’t soldered anything yet so if I need to run different wires I can.

A couple things to note about the picture.
    If wires don’t go anywhere they are literally not going any where currently. If it’s labeled hot it’s a hot wire once the ignition is turned.I have re wired the starter to start with the 3 position IGNITION switch so the green wires coming off the stater currently go no where.

Finally, on to the headlight, I WAS going to run the Orange#2 to power it’s self and the banjo bolt but I assume I can’t do that if it can’t handle the banjo bolt already. I thought about using the Dark blue but it runs to the same breaker. Any advice on this?

Finally, when things are wrapped up what do I do with leftover wires? Cut, and heat shrink them so they don’t arc to anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
  • 1986SportyMike
    • Apr 2020

Looks like the picture might be small on mobile so here’s the link to it. https://imgur.com/gallery/zglcl2P

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

You have a hot going to ground where it shouldn't be...........

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Where in the hell did you come up with that wiring diagram???????
        Last edited by Tattooo; 05-28-2020, 6:34 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 1986SportyMike
          Finally, when things are wrapped up what do I do with leftover wires? Cut, and heat shrink them so they don’t arc to anything?
          NO you don't just start cutting wires............... The best thing to do is take them completely out of the harness.............

Comment

• 70fatster
            • Jan 2013

The drawing shows two positives and one ground going to the brake light. Most brake lights only need one positive. Was that supposed to be labeled "taillight"?
            Test it without the banjo bolt switch and see what happens. Just connect the red to the orange. The light should light, breaker should stay on. If the problem persists it is not the switch. If it goes away, test each terminal of the banjo switch for continuity to the metal of the switch itself. If there is continuity from either terminal to the switch housing then the switch is faulty.
            Last edited by 70fatster; 05-28-2020, 7:23 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

You never said which bike this is, so gonna guess it your handle; a '86 sporty.

look here:

Brake Switch - Front & Rear

" The front & rear brake switches are electrically connected in parallel. This means that either switch, when activated, will send power to the brake light (bright) element.

The front & rear brake switches are fed power on the ORANGE/White (ORANGE*) wire from the accessory power circuit (circuit breaker or fuse). When activated, either or both switches will supply power on the RED/Yellow (RED*) wire to the rear brake light (*1986-1993 models used solid color wires). "

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• 04Nighttrain
                • Mar 2013

With your current wiring, the brake light would be on 100% of the time.....

from the fuse to the brake light it should be wired something like this.....

Name:	lts.JPG
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1318782

I would also recommend putting the headlight on it's own fuse....

Comment

• 04Nighttrain
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by 04Nighttrain
                  With your current wiring, the brake light would be on 100% of the time.....

from the fuse to the brake light it should be wired something like this.....
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]103874[/ATTACH]

I would also recommend putting the headlight on it's own fuse....
                  I just finished wiring my softail. Removed everything Harley.... This is pretty much how it's wired up using a 3 pole ignition switch and LED lighting... a few small changes but the concept is as pictured..

Name:	wire.JPG
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1318783

Comment

• Tater66
                    • Mar 2019

Im going to ask the obvious question.....

Why have a brake light switch on the front brake? Im use to having a switch on back only. Makes it easier to lose the cops when they dont know your braking hard and ducking to the side.

Comment

• docmel
                      • May 2015

Because when I am stopped at a light, or waiting at a stop sign, I typically use the front brake only.

Im more worreid about some a hole hitting me in the rear than escaping the cops

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;