CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Brand New Super E Won’t Start After Install

I chopped up a ‘99 Sportster 1200 2 winters ago and have been having endless intake issues since, which I always found strange since the carb was never altered or even removed from the motor. After exploring every last possible option and possibility with the CV carb flooding and subsequent motor cutout, I decided to toss it and get a new s&s super e.

Lo and behold, the bike fails to start and soon begins spitting gas just like the stock CV within a few tries. Only this time, instead of draining from the overflow hose like it did on the CV, gas seems to be dripping from the throat. Has anybody had this issue after installing an S&S before and/or have any bright ideas? Much appreciated in advance! The other bikes are on the chopping block for now and I’m itching to get this one back on the road.

Note: the super E is equipped with a speed dealer velocity stack with screen & aftermarket enrichment knob; OEM install instructions were followed to a T
    Last edited by WhiteLightning666; 05-28-2020 at 9:48 AM.

First, did you pull the bowl and set the float level? Many new in da box carbs have incorrect float levels

Second, it sounds like your problem may be ignition related, or even a mechanical problem of the motor, like a bent valve or something.

You need to start with the basics and set the motor up from the beginning, which would be a compression test.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds to me like you may have crap in the fuel. If both carbs have overflow issues it may be that your fuel is contaminated and particles are preventing the float needle from sealing. Worth a look..

That’s what I feared. But why would it be that it ran great for years, but only started having the flooding issue after sitting for 2 months while I hardtailed the frame?

If the bike was flooding out with the CV until the engine wouldn't run, did you install new plugs?
    Fouled plugs don't work no matter what carb is on there.
    After the build, did you put in brand new gas, or gas from the lawnmower can?
    The rubber tip n the float valve needle is sometimes just fine until it gets dry, then cracks almost immediatel, could have been the CV problem.
    Did you adjust the valves? I would check there before the ignition, you didn't say it was even sputtering.

Get Adobe Flash player

Your first problem is incorrect troubleshooting. I hope ya didn't throw the old carb away. ALWAYS study correct troubleshooting on EVERYTHING (bikes, computers, whatever) and never assume you know what you're doing until you've proven it over time. I'm ready to learn from anyone.

You can check any carb off the bike with a long hose from the stock tank (after dumping the fuel and filling with fresh gas) by holding it in your hand at different positions, then correct the problem if it overflows. I sometimes check float level (outdoors) with the float bowl removed using a dummy tank. You can see needle/seat leakage that way.

Spark test. On stock "wasted spark" ignitions I hose clamp or rubber band the plugs together at the shells (and later tack welded two plugs together, any plug will do, it's insanely convenient) because current flows from pole to pole at the coil. Happy news = fat blue sparks. I buy plugs online and always get a couple spare sets (I don't buy toilet paper by the sheet either) but your local auto store should have a match.

If the engine is stock there is no valve adjustment, the hydraulic lifters handle that.

Oops on the valve adjustment idea, I'm not used to these newfangled hydraulic lifter things!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 70fatster View Post
    Oops on the valve adjustment idea, I'm not used to these newfangled hydraulic lifter things!
    Check your factory service manual and factory parts catalog (if you're keeping the motorcycle you NEED those books, no substitutions) to see what you're dealing with internally. They save you far more than they cost.

Get Adobe Flash player

This may sound bizarre, but it actually happened....Finished a rebuild of my 1988 sportster, turned fuel on prior to starting and it pissed out the carb all over the floor. WTF? My buddy grumbled that I had got shit in the carb whilst fitting a jetting kit. Nada-clean as inside...Eventually found it was a blocked gas cap vent causing a siphoning effect!

Share This