X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coloradude
    • May 2020

Narrow Glide to Wide Glide Conversion on Nighster Questions

Hey Chopcult,

First time posting on chopcult but I've been reading for information the last few years. I'm thinking of throwing a Wide Glide front end on my 08 Nighster. I haven't done any front end work other than changing fork oil before so I was hoping to get a few questions answered.

1. The current forks on the Nighty have a monotube upgrade from progressive in them (thanks to Dad who dumped her last year but paid it back with the upgrade). The current front end is a 39 mm narrow glide. If I put a 41mm wide glide front end on them, will I be able to re use the progressive monotube cartidges or will the cartridges require a 39mm wide glide conversion kit?

and......

2. Are there other advantages/disadvantages to going with a 41mm wide glide front end over the 39 mm conversion? Availability of Fork braces/fenders/other important bits for the 39mm conversion kit? Weird fork twisting issues? Any issues I'd have throwing longer fork tubes on with the wide glide conversion in the near future?

Am I overthinking this? Any other tips for the newbie?

Thanks,
    Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	61153502588__8BCA9457-B7D3-4BA5-9517-B01A27E82980.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	1346771
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

The use of an actual Wide Glide is purely for appearance but they are IMO an artistic error on Sportsters which are slim and narrow and of course they're sprung for heavier big twins. They look like ass with a 19" front wheel which is why 19s on Wide Glides are rare while either 16"s or 21s are common. (Choppers are folk art and art relies on proportion for visual effect.)

I suggest looking at "mid glide" kits which are much more proportional to the size of a Sporty and use your existing 39mm fork components and front brake disc and caliper without additional fuckery.

Comment

• Coloradude
      • May 2020

Originally posted by farmall
      The use of an actual Wide Glide is purely for appearance but they are IMO an artistic error on Sportsters which are slim and narrow and of course they're sprung for heavier big twins. They look like ass with a 19" front wheel which is why 19s on Wide Glides are rare while either 16"s or 21s are common. (Choppers are folk art and art relies on proportion for visual effect.)

I suggest looking at "mid glide" kits which are much more proportional to the size of a Sporty and use your existing 39mm fork components and front brake disc and caliper without additional fuckery.
      Cool,

Thanks for your opinion, though I don’t really agree. Either way. You’re saying I need to maintain the 39mm fork tubes to use the existing monotube cartridges.? So a conversion kit might be the way to go to minimize fuckery.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Bbqbiker
        • May 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	61153502588__8BCA9457-B7D3-4BA5-9517-B01A27E82980.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	1346771[/QUOTE]

I see a far more serious problem than ruining the bike with ill advised front end fuckery (what farm said) How about ya pour some gas on that hideous seat and light er up? What the fuck is that thing covered with, one of nanna's old urine stench house dresses??? My gawd........oh welcome to CC
        Last edited by Bbqbiker; 05-28-2020, 7:32 AM.

Comment

• Davestune
          • May 2014

I would sell the bike and buy an older sportster so you can use the word ironhead

Putting a wide glide on that bike is like doing plastic surgery to a fat chick

Comment

• Coloradude
            • May 2020

Originally posted by Bbqbiker
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]103805[/ATTACH]
            I see a far more serious problem than ruining the bike with ill advised front end fuckery (what farm said) How about ya pour some gas on that hideous seat and light er up? What the fuck is that thing covered with, one of nanna's old urine stench house dresses??? My gawd........oh welcome to CC[/QUOTE]

Yeah it’s a bit controversial. What did you do in quarantine with no money? Keep motorcycles fun man. Chop cult is filled with old ass holes who are stuck in there ways huh? So much for technical advice...

Comment

• Davestune
              • May 2014

Originally posted by Coloradude
              I see a far more serious problem than ruining the bike with ill advised front end fuckery (what farm said) How about ya pour some gas on that hideous seat and light er up? What the fuck is that thing covered with, one of nanna's old urine stench house dresses??? My gawd........oh welcome to CC
              Yeah it’s a bit controversial. What did you do in quarantine with no money? Keep motorcycles fun man. Chop cult is filled with old ass holes who are stuck in there ways huh? So much for technical advice...[/QUOTE]

You mad bro.......

Comment

• Tater66
                • Mar 2019

I owned a 77 lowrider that had a 35mm wide installed when bought. The proportions w 19" wheel was OK. The biggest distraction was the 4" X 2" spacers for disc brakes. Yep, 1 on each side. Kinda fugly.

Comment

• Bbqbiker
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Coloradude
                  Yeah it’s a bit controversial. What did you do in quarantine with no money? Keep motorcycles fun man. Chop cult is filled with old ass holes who are stuck in there ways huh? So much for technical advice...[/QUOTE]

Whoa whoa whoa you're presumptions are ludicrous bruh...

"What did you do in quarantine with no money?"

So you assume I was in some kind of quaramtine and I have no money???

"CC is filled with old assholes" Yes...but yet here you are!

How and why do you make this preposterous claim? Old??? How old is "old"

"Stuck in my ways" Again..?? Wtf?

"Keep motorcycle fun..man"

Have you seen the tank I just had lettered for my award-winning Panhead? What is more fun than mocking someone else's bike? Ha ha Ha

My bagger says "Retard Strong" Again...Very funny and mocking developmentally disabled people with superhuman strength. I LIVE funny

Let's get back to this seat problem...I mean "controversy" I can't even begin to focus on bastardizing the forks when the seat screams "throw rocks at me"

Shall we just move this on over to the junk pile now? Ha Ha Ha Ha

Comment

• Davestune
                    • May 2014

This is why we cant have nice things.
                    I have a bagger lol

Comment

• Davestune
                      • May 2014

Yeah it’s a bit controversial. What did you do in quarantine with no money? Keep motorcycles fun man. Chop cult is filled with old ass holes who are stuck in there ways huh? So much for technical advice...

Have you seen the tank I just had lettered for my award-winning Panhead? What is more fun than mocking someone else's bike? Ha ha Ha

My bagger says "Retard Strong" Again...Very funny and mocking developmentally disabled people with superhuman strength. I LIVE funny

Let's get back to this seat problem...I mean "controversy" I can't even begin to focus on bastardizing the forks when the seat screams "throw rocks at me"

Shall we just move this on over to the junk pile now? Ha Ha Ha Ha[/QUOTE]

Tis true this yuppie scumbag haslots of cash, hell he buys bikes and sends them off to sit for 5 years to be repaired
                      He says ill buy this, it should last till my Bison equipped ride is done.

Its a shame a fer bbq's i meen bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

Buy an ironhead, that werd is old schoolz and kustom

Comment

• Coloradude
                        • May 2020

Shall we just move this on over to the junk pile now? Ha Ha Ha Ha[/QUOTE]

Chill dude. You’re all busting my stones, you want me to just keep quiet? Cool bike

Comment

• Coloradude
                          • May 2020

@ tater66:

Yeah that sounds a bit clunky. Definitely re evaluating options, maybe a mid glide instead. Thanks for the actual help man

Comment

• Davestune
                            • May 2014

Dont mind bbq, he fucks with all of us.
                            Your bike man, do what ya want but to me a sportster is a stepping stone to a nig twin

I been there as a young man growin up , shit my 1st bike was a triumph i couldn't afford a sporty at 1st

The point is. Unless all you will ever ride is tgat bike then go for it but ya will never get what you have into it.
                            My opinion is it will look like poop let alone any ridable changes.

Comment

• Bbqbiker
                              • May 2015

Dude don't have such a thin skin we're busting balls but we're also keeping you on the proper path

You don't bolt big twin parts onto a sportster it's just wrong I don't know what else to tell youl keep it skinny keep it small beat the fuck out of it and then when it comes time to step up to the big twin you can get almost all of your $1,500 back

I didn't even say girls bike or mention a seat cover at all see I am growing as a person
                              Last edited by Bbqbiker; 05-28-2020, 9:48 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;