Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Campfire
    • Aug 2013

1981 Harley xlh1000, kickstart ?

Just wondering if there is a way to put a kickstart on a 1981 Harley sportster ? I don’t think there is but if anyone knows a way let me know
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Find a set of 77-79 cases and swap em out ....
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

2011 Thread; Is it possible to add a kick start to a 1980 ironhead?

"nope.. not possible..
      unless you have an early 80, a '79 built in jan. 1980.. or a 79 titled in 1980..

or you get some serious work done to the cases.. '80 and '81 (early 81) have the generator still in front of the engine, newer IH's have the alternator behind the clutchhub, and right over there should the kickstarter ratchet go.

the 79 is the last IH that could have a kickstart added.
      the cases were pre drilled and capped for the kicker shaft, the clutch hub has the holes for mounting the ratchet plate and the sprocket cover had the Master brake cylinder on top to accommodate the kickshaft.

check the left inner rear side of the primary cases on the 80... (get my point? just check the picture)
      if it looks exactly like the picture (the cap behind/underneath the "slot" is the thing you should search for) it's an old 79 case used for the 80, and it has the holes needed for the kickshaft. all you have to do then is score a kick conversion set for a 79 (almost any year will do) and a 79 sprocket cover."

Did a search and found nothing... I've got my next bike narrowed down to a 74 iron head with kick and an 80 iron head with no kick. Is it possible to add a kick start to the 80s iron heads?
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

If ya really want a kicker and the bike is a long term keeper I'd look out for a complete engine or donor bike since (except for Ebay) used IHs are dirt cheap when they're common models. The best time to accumulate spares is before anyone wants them and the available IH spares will gradually decline over the years.

Study IH engines to get the best donor because having a spare top end (as a core for overhauls) and other parts makes life very convenient with any motorcycle.

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

To the above point, only the '77 - '79 cases are from the same family as the '81, that will accept the kicker parts. The '76 and earlier cases are a different design.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;