X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdmboyd
    • Apr 2018

Handlebar Controls Question

Hey folks,

Hope everyone's fine, enjoying Memorial Day weekend to the extent you can.

Question: What are these controls on my '80 FL-FX mutt? Apologize, the first one's a lil' out of focus. Reason I ask is that it seems I may need to rebuild the MC and I'd like to know what I'm dealing with here. I redid the o-ring and dust shield (outside slightly torn) on the caliper and the thing won't self bleed as it has the last 4 yrs I've owned this. There's no regular bleeding on this thing; the caliper bleeder valve has been soldered/welded over and relies on air bubbling up to the reservoir to bleed. Sounds crazy, but gravity has worked in the past and it's not now (bleeding, not gravity), so I'm thinking it's the MC.

Any help here appreciated. Thanks.

John

BTW, Tattoo, R&R'd the pushrod cover seals before adjusting the pushrods and timing this thing and surprise, surprise: No leaks. Cork and rubber is a good thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00165.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	1346760Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00166.jpg
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	1346761Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00167.jpg
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	1346762Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00168.jpg
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	1346763
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Stock '80 controls with blank switch covers.

Jim

Comment

• jdmboyd
      • Apr 2018

Thanks Jim; so, nothing special except blank covers, which makes sense, since there's only head/tail/brake lights on this thing.

Thinking of also adding a horn to this thing via a single button in the middle of that left blank cover. Was kind of a dope, ordered a knucklehead horn; may fit on top of the oil cooler, but not sure that's what I want. What I'd really like is a pan-style trumpet air horn, but two of them, turned to a flatted 5th, like King Crimson's Red; suspect I have some work to do to get that right.

John

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

There's a tone screw on the power pack on those horns. It's the little one off to the side, on the back.

Jim

Comment

• jdmboyd
          • Apr 2018

Thanks. I'm guessing this effects tone, not pitch. I need to do some boning up on horn size for desired pitch. It'd be nice if I could figure out how to use a single driver/tone chest to drive both horns. Plus, don't necessarily want the front of my bike to look like a pipe organ, or insert analogy w/multiple trumpets out front. Need to figure out a single trumpet out front and something like a concealed enclosed thing out back.

A few years back I was visiting a bud in Paris and got to go to Mass at Notre Dame; some of the tones coming out of that organ were off the hook, badass. I know I'm not going to get that on my bike but getting some sinister-sounding baloney would still be cool. Not there yet.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;