Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • james69
    • Feb 2018

Shovelhead Clutch

Hey guys, I replaced my clutch cable with a barnett one and did the adjustments per my harley manual and I noticed that my clutch basket was moving when I pulled the clutch cable when the bike was on its kickstand (it's got alot of lean). When I hold the bike upright and pull the clutch cable in it doesn't appear to move. Is this normal?

The prior owner had the bdl belt set up in an enclosed primary, I am running it open now.

here is a video: https://youtu.be/jhuxib8YemY
    Last edited by james69; 05-24-2020, 10:12 AM.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Yes, that is the normal set-up. You can improve clutch action (in my opinion) by installing a RamJet retainer, or actually one of the clones of this piece. Drag Specialties offers one that I use, and I have installed many of them in stock and belt drive primaries. The retainer limits the axial movement of the clutch shell.

Jim

Comment

• james69
      • Feb 2018

Jim, thanks man! I do have a RamJet retainer and the big roller fix bearings in there. I have not experienced any creep or slipping!

I just wanted to make sure that movement wasn't suspect of something. Still learning :-)

I also wanted to ask- I have an aftermarket spring collar with the black ring around it. Do you know anything about these, what that is supposed to do differently than the stock plate? I have my springs adjusted 7/8 from the back of the black ring to the pressure plate. Seems to work fine but I know the stock measurement is 1 1/32. Haven't been able to find out what this piece is called, it was on the bike when I bought it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	1318675
      Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	1318676

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

That may be one of the balance rings that were sold for a while. How much good it would do out on the ends of the studs is an open question.

An aluminum pressure plate is a nice addition for those old clutches, cleans up the appearance and doesn't flex like the steel piece.

There are three positions for installing the retainer. If you can see the shell moving, you might see if you can get a tighter adjustment.

Jim

Comment

• james69
          • Feb 2018

Thanks again man, I did notice the ram jet retainer had A, B, and C positions. I believe mine is set up on the A position but it was back in November when I had this all apart to remove the stock inner primary and install the Primo motor plate set-up.

I will see if I can get a tighter adjustment on the other postitions. Thanks for the information!!
          Last edited by james69; 05-24-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• garystaven88
            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by james69
            I have not experienced any creep or slipping!

I have my springs adjusted 7/8 from the back of the black ring to the pressure plate. Seems to work fine but I know the stock measurement is 1 1/32.
            Sounds like your setup is working just fine. 1 1/32 is a starting point. Anytime I setup my clutch I start with 1 1/32 and then find I need to turn the spring nuts in a click or two.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by james69
              Thanks again man, I did notice the ram jet retainer had A, B, and C positions. I believe mine is set up on the A position but it was back in November when I had this all apart to remove the stock inner primary and install the Primo motor plate set-up.
              Your Tammer has seen better days ...

It's toast !! .. Just along for the ride now ...
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• james69
                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews
                Your Tammer has seen better days ...

It's toast !! .. Just along for the ride now ...
                Drag, I am sure it's been on there a looooooong time. The dude I bought the bike from was the original owner and put that in there.

Was talking to a buddy at my local shop about a BDL competitor clutch set up. Might go that route!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;