Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seancolville1977
    • Jan 2015

Wide glide dual disc mags

Any info on 9 spoke mags for an 83 dual disc wide glide? Haven’t been able to find any info for this particular setup. I have a spoked rim now, but want to go with a mag. It’s for a custom rigid frame bobber. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

All the H-D mags for the front wheel are for the narrow front ends, except the solid Fat Boy wheel and the FLH and FLT wheels, which are all 16". There are some newer mags that are 17", I believe. The 19" nine spoke mags that you are thinking of can be adapted to a wide glide using the wide disc spacers. Your biggest problem is that the wide axle is usually undercut in the area between the bearings, the very place the narrow hub bearings will fall. You may be able to find an aftermarket axle that is not undercut, full diameter from end to end. This conversion has been done, but you end up with a 19" tire that is a little smaller in outer diameter than your current 21. How that effects the way your bike steers and handles is a matter of experiment.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

This conversion has been done, but you end up with a 19" tire that is a little smaller in outer diameter than your current 21.
      The difference isn't much but it is visible. 19" wheels on full width Wide Glides look odd (choppers are folk are where proportion matters and differences which appear small when viewing wheels alone loom larger when they're installed on a motorcycle) which is why they're so rare. 19" mags work better visually with mid and narrow glide front ends.

If you have the mag in hand you can hang it off the existing axle to see how it looks before committing to the conversion.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by farmall
        The difference isn't much but it is visible. 19" wheels on full width Wide Glides look odd (choppers are folk are where proportion matters and differences which appear small when viewing wheels alone loom larger when they're installed on a motorcycle) which is why they're so rare. 19" mags work better visually with mid and narrow glide front ends.

If you have the mag in hand you can hang it off the existing axle to see how it looks before committing to the conversion.
        Agree, but I don't comment on the styling choices of my fellow bikers. The learning is in the doing.

I've seen three rib tractor tires on a bike, and wonder WTF? But I remind myself that it ain't my bike.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

I just warn them in case they don't know since many aren't ancient like ourselves. Might save 'em a few dollars.

Comment

• Tater66
            • Mar 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	1318794

This item has the disc spacers WITH outboard wheel bearings. No need for custom axle or endless search for conversion axle. Although this set up will put all the stress on the 5/16" bolts and wheel bosses. Not an ideal way to go.
            I too, have been contemplating the 19"wheel/wideglide set up. 16's roll like a tugboat and 21's can be super sketchy when doing dumb things.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...