Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cimino289
    • Sep 2018

Removing paint off a shovelhead engine?

Ive got a 1984 shovelhead motor that the cases were painted black at the factory. I was just wonder what is the best way to remove this stuff. If it helps the motor is already out of the frame on a stand and the heads are off( They needed to be sand blasted). Ive heard that aircraft stripper works, but others have said it will discolor the case. Ive also heard Dot 3 brake fluid but I havent heard any more responses about that one. Any input is appreciated. Im just looking to take the paint off the bottom end and not do anything else.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

It's not going to look very good no matter what you do unless you take it apart and blast it.....

Yes you can get the paint off but it will be iffy in the corners.......

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

It's powder coat, and it don't come off easy. I just stripped a set of '82 cases by glass beading and there were times I wish I had never started on them.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
        It's powder coat, and it don't come off easy. I just stripped a set of '82 cases by glass beading and there were times I wish I had never started on them.

Jim
        Are you sure it's powder coat????? If that's right when did they start that..... My 79 FXS was black wrinkle paint....... Just curious......

Here is a pic of the motor after sitting for 25 years in a dirt floor shed.......
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tattooo; 05-19-2020, 7:56 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

At least as far back as '80. My '80 FLH had the cases and inner primary powder coated black. It is not a wrinkle finish. If yours had a wrinkle finish, I don't think it was factory applied.

Jim

Comment

• Cimino289
            • Sep 2018

I was pretty sure it was paint. I really dont want to bust the cases on this motor unless I really have to. the heads are kind of eh they need some sprucing up but the bottom end is solid.

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Clean it good and paint over it. That's about your only choice. I would not use chemical stripper on an assembled motor.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                If yours had a wrinkle finish, I don't think it was factory applied. Jim

So you have never seen Black wrinkle paint on a Harley motor?????

Oh yea it's original...... It's a 15,500 mile original paint bike..... Nothing had been changed or taken further apart until I started taking it apart to restore it........ Even the calipers were clean inside no corrosion.... It was an awesome bike to restore....... You should be so lucky to work on such an unmolested bike....

The guy that bought it new started taking it apart to find a short in the wiring because it had stopped running, then he got cancer and died 6 months later....... After 25 years of being apart his mother donated it to her church...... I found the short he was looking for he didn't take it apart enough..... It still had the original electronic ignition in it..... That wasn't the problem.....

The painted parts were hung on the wall luckily......

Here it is...... I did a restore thread over on JJ but the mods pulled it because of jealousy.....
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Tattooo; 05-19-2020, 8:58 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Here are another pic....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Tattooo; 05-19-2020, 9:02 PM.

Comment

• Cimino289
                    • Sep 2018

Yeah the motor on the 84 is literally painted exactly the same. So I'll see what I can do.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Cimino289
                      Yeah the motor on the 84 is literally painted exactly the same. So I'll see what I can do.
                      Yep that's what I was thinking...... It's easier if it's apart but that takes time also.......

Best of luck......

Comment

• DustyDave
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Try DOT 3 brake fluid Takes most paint off and leaves the aluminum surface alone. Not as fast as aircraft stripper but cleans up with brake clean and leaves the aluminum looking way better.
                        Dusty
                        Driving that train, high on cocaine
                        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Cimino289
                          • Sep 2018

I'll get some brake fluid and test it. Since I have memorial day weekend up ahead I'm going to try and get a lot done.

Comment

• shank1kole
                            • Dec 2015

oven cleaner, strips a lot of finishes but have water hose ready to deactivate it.About a 5 second sit strips any loose gunk. maybe silicone the gasket areas strip clean then pull silicone and hand sand? just throwing out ideas.

Comment

• Beefdrippings
                              • Sep 2009

I've seen an engine who's owner did it done with tal stripper and a q tip in the nooks and crannies. The engine was out of the frame though. Turned out good. whatever you do,if you don't split the cases to blast it, try a sample section in an out of the way spot.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;