Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DustyDave
    Not as fast as aircraft stripper but cleans up with brake clean and leaves the aluminum looking way better.
    Dusty
    Yep that's the problem with most of the chemical stripping....... The aluminum looks weird......

Comment

• tzienlee
      • Apr 2024

You might want to look at Cryogenic blasting, It is blasting with Dry Ice & can be used on a complete motor, NO NEED TO TAKE ANYTHING APART !!!.... as the dry Ice leaves no residue there is no reason to mask anything off,
      as the Dry Ice hits it freezes the oil grease orPaint that flakes off,
      a Buddy had his Norton Commando motor done this way and it almost looked new at the end, there are plenty of Films of it on YouTube showing how it works and the end result..... check it out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHchu1tNyc

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Dry ice blasting is an old proven process in the aerospace world and if available an ideal choice.

HD sells engine case paint but I've not looked into it since I hate paint (and chrome) on engine parts as they exist to deteriorate and piss me off.

Comment

• seaking
          • Jul 2013

No trouble whatsoever pulling the black off my '78 with aircraft stripper. Nylon bristle attachments are in ace hardware in the wire brush aisle, those never mar the finish and polish the motor really nice with just some soap or degreaser.

Comment

• Whoremonger
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Tattooo
            So you have never seen Black wrinkle paint on a Harley motor?????

Oh yea it's original...... It's a 15,500 mile original paint bike..... Nothing had been changed or taken further apart until I started taking it apart to restore it........ Even the calipers were clean inside no corrosion.... It was an awesome bike to restore....... You should be so lucky to work on such an unmolested bike....

The guy that bought it new started taking it apart to find a short in the wiring because it had stopped running, then he got cancer and died 6 months later....... After 25 years of being apart his mother donated it to her church...... I found the short he was looking for he didn't take it apart enough..... It still had the original electronic ignition in it..... That wasn't the problem.....

The painted parts were hung on the wall luckily......

Here it is...... I did a restore thread over on JJ but the mods pulled it because of jealousy.....
            I have a 78 low rider with black wrinkle paint from factory also . NOWHERE NEAR as cherry as tatooo bike. Mine is a beater that i enjoy very much

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;