Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JobHDZ
    • Mar 2024

1983 LTD 750 belt drive

It’s been a while. I tried to build a bobber a long time ago but sold it off since I couldn’t get it going.No one could get that thing running even after I sold it. It’s still for sale for parts on Facebook market place by the person who bought it. It gave me a little hope knowing it wasn’t just me who couldn’t get it running.So I wanted to try again so was going through Craigslist when I saw a post about a Kawasaki 1983 LTD 750 but with no picture. I didn’t get my hopes up but I sent a message anyway to see if I could get pictures. After I saw it I went down to look at it and it’s actually in way better shape than I expected and for 200$ I couldn’t resist. I learned a lot about these types of models from my last build so there was a lot I wished I didn’t do on that one that I did so I won’t make that mistake again. And it’s only 2 carbs so I hope it won’t be that hard to get going like my last one. other thing is it’s belt drive. I’m not sure if that’s a plus but can’t wait to find out.So let building begin here are some photos. Now let the fun begin bobber attempt number 2
    Attached Files
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

had a few of them twins; bullet=proof DOHC square engine (78mm bore and stroke) with counter balancers.

there is a thread here:
    KZ750 twin chop thinggy
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KZ750 twin chop thinggy.CC.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1318401

and a multi-thread step by step build on Choppers Australia:
    Prof built it for Jett:

Name:	KZ750twin,chop,CA,JettFinished.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	1318402
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Does it have a clear title? You'll require that to register. If it does, transfer that title as quickly as possible and get a hard copy printed on the spot.

Before getting into bobber fuckery get it running well first.

Perform a compression test and inspect the spark plugs.

Tell us the bike's history as you know it. Buy or download a factory service manual.

You can find exploded parts breakdowns online and screencap them for reference. Start a project folder on your computer. Take pics of everything you do "need it or not".

Assume nothing, do NOT make the common mistake of tearing everything apart too early, do get it running and riding well then chop it. It's much better to learn from others mistakes so you'll have fewer to make.

Comment

• Hatchet54
        • Sep 2012

Oh shit! You are the only other guy I've seen that has this model. The belt drives (k1 to be precise) are exceedingly rare. The ONLY other one of these I've seen was in the parking lot when I was in college. I left a note on that bike and the bastard never called me.

This was my first bike! Bought for $500 on a minimum wage job when I was 18. Nearly got kicked out of the house over it.
        Had the same paint and everything as yours. Man this is a blast from the past! I didn't have that kickass windshield though haha.
        Here's a photo from the day I bought it, taken on one of the first camera phones!

Name:	downsized_0427021041.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1318404

Still one of my favorite bikes I've ever had and always will be. For being such an obscure model I think it is absolutely one of the strongest Kaws. Mine is due for a major overhaul this next year as soon as I can drag it out of my parent's house. These are some older photos of how I had it back in the day, before the Mickey Mouse shit got too out of control and I had to retire it. Currently it's half-together under a painter's tarp, but not for much longer.

Name:	168.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1318405Click image for larger version

Name:	Rhonda_Dusk1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1318406

Welcome to the tiny brotherhood, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with this bike. I've learned the quirks of these things pretty well over the years so hit me up if you have questions.

And yes - the belt is a plus.
        Last edited by Hatchet54; 05-15-2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• JobHDZ
          • Mar 2024

This happened to me on my first build. very big noob mistake. I am heading to the DMV after work today to switch the title under my name. It does have a title and its pretty clean on the spark plugs. it has been sitting for a year according to the seller. It belonged to the seller's father and they are clearing out his place to get ready to sell since he passed away recently. Unfortunate circumstances. Apparently it was his daily rider until he got sick. So once I get out of work the plan is to try and get her to turn on. I kicked it yesterday and it cranked but the battery was dying. so I hooked it up to a trickle charger yesterday. Today i'm going to drain old gas and go through carbs before I try and turn it on again. Also going to put some fresh fluids and check for leaks. Once I got it running I want to ride it for a minute before I decide to do anything. Don't want to do the same thing I did with my first build and chop whithout thinking it through. I want a bobber but she looks amazing the way she is.

Comment

• JobHDZ
            • Mar 2024

That red looks amazing on that bike Hatchet54 I like the look a lot. And yea I don't know much about the belt drive model of this but apparently it was an available model in Canada. Not sure if it was Exclusive to Canada but that's what I have gathered so far. Thanks for the support I will definitely be getting a hold of anyone willing to help when I run in to a snag. For now the focus is to get her running and then see if everything is sound. hopefully being parked for that long didn't cause any long term problems but I will post more as I go. I will definitely be looking at those threads for inspiration and direction TriNortchopz thanks.

Comment

• JobHDZ
              • Mar 2024

So I tried turning her on since everything looked good and she fired right up with new plugs and batter but now this. Is from the overflow hose from the carbsClick image for larger version

Name:	302BBB3E-984A-4960-85D3-FD869A8DF6B3.jpg
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1318434Click image for larger version

Name:	302BBB3E-984A-4960-85D3-FD869A8DF6B3.jpg
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1318434

Comment

• PeanutHead
                • Nov 2011

Welcome to the forum and the KZ Twin club. I had that happen to my 440 after I got it running. Rebuilding the carbs should fix the leak.

Comment

• Hatchet54
                  • Sep 2012

If memory serves right, the gaskets on the float bowls are very finicky to install correctly, especially if they are old and warped/cracked. Either get new ones or (yes, this is what I did) smear grease on the mating surfaces before putting the gasket on

edit: sorry, I didn't read the part about the overflow hose and just assumed the puddle came from the carbs. In that case, it's probably a worn float needle or a warped float. I think these bikes have a metal tab on the float that can be adjusted.

Also, I learned how to run my carbs dry every night with this bike. Should help until you fix the problem.

If you are running the stock vacuum petcock, it almost certainly will contribute to your issues and/or shit the bed at the worst possible time. Upgrade it to a manual gravity-feed and remember to shut it off when parked

I got a Harley petcock that I made fit with a Pingel adapter plate.
                  Last edited by Hatchet54; 05-16-2020, 7:27 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

It's standard to clean carbs (strip and dip) on any fresh acquisition so you know what you have. I leak check carbs off the bike using a dummy tank before installing them.

Strongly agree on fuel valve replacement and Pingle are outstanding. I've had my oldest since 1988 though it needed a rebuild kit a while back. I shitcan all vacuum fuel valves on my personal bikes.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

1983 Kawasaki CARBURETOR PARTS 750 LTD Belt KZ750K1 Parts & OEM Diagram

Name:	ka1111001008.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1318466

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;