Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsaav
    • Apr 2019

TC bros Spool wheel question

Quick question to anyone running a TC Bros spool wheel up front... the rim comes sealed meaning it does not require a tube but does that mean you can run a "tubed-type" tire without a tube safely? I mounted an Avon speedmaster on it without a tube and it seams to be holding up fine i am just looking for more opinions on this.
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Yes, you can put a tube in almost any rim/wheel.
    However due to friction/heat, the speed rating on the tire is reduced by %10 or something.

Be aware that you cannot plug a flat with a tube in it.

Also, that sealer won't last forever, it'll eventually need a tube installed.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

That Speedmaster says "tubed type" right on the sidewall, if I'm not mistaken.

Put a tube in it. You side load it in a corner and you might find out why.

Jim

Comment

• Sky
        • Aug 2009

Oh shit, Jim has a great point!
        If the tire needs a tube, it'll say right on it.

Some early mags need tubes too. They say "tube type" cast right into them.

"Tubeless" just means it CAN be run without one.
        But if either say to run a tube, you better run a tube.

Comment

• james69
          • Feb 2018

I run a tc bros spool wheel, with a 21" avon speedmaster. There is a tube in there.

Comment

• dsaav
            • Apr 2019

Sweet thanks guys i will pick up a tube for it and throw it in

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
              • Apr 2012

Depends on the rim, If alloy disregard the following,,, But on steel rims the chrome is generally not great in the tube or tire bead seat area. Some have small holes so water does not build up inside the rim lip. But I have taken apart rims that have been run for years and years, and OFTEN inside gets wet, damp or condensation. (Overly aggressive pressure washing or bikini bike wash)
              So the rim gets crusty in there and not good, hard on the tubes as well. So various people use different ideas. Some mask off and prime and paint the ID of the steel rims in the tire channel. Some use rim tape or even seen duct tape, Some smear rubber sealer in there. I think a good rust preventive paint, even Rustoleum rattle can is decent.. but a commercial etch paint like Diamont DP 50 is what I use. Someone who runs the piss out of their bike and is changing tires every year dont have many issues but I know a lot of guys who build a lot of bikes and they dont get huge mileage so could be many years until that tire comes off.

In real world tire tech, there is a date on a tire. Its got a shelf life and if you do a lot of riding change the tire once its past that shelf life even if theres plenty of tread. Unless its a show bike then who cares? I know a pro tire engineer who has several patents for tire design. He says the Dunlops that say Harley right on them that come stock from HD are the worst garbage tires there are. After a few incidents I tend to agree. Not all dunlops certainly.. but those for sure.

Comment

• Sep 2012

I have one of those wheels and run a tube. I have one of the 3.00 X 21 Avon tires on it and it has been on there about a year.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;