X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackCloudSalvage
    • Jan 2015

Harley CV Carb differences?

Hey Folks,

I just picked up a new used CV carb that I will be using on a head breather Evo big twin motor. I had another CV that I was running on a evo sportster but I dropped it one day and cracked the case a bit. Anyhow. Noticed some differences in these 2 carbs.

1) Float styles (trapezoidalish vs. dumbell)
    2) Machined pattern/layout on the deck of the carb body where bowl mates
    3) Throttle cable bracket (new one had an extension and different angle

Are all these parts interchangeable? I want to use the black float as it sounds like the dumbell orange style is pierced and has something in it.

Any big difference in CV carb for sportster compared to Evo big twin?

• BadMonkeyMW
    • Jul 2010

The extra tab on the throttle cable bracket was for baggers with cruise control, it held the cruise cable. The floats will swap over no problem as well as the bowls/float bowl gasket. The BT vs XL carbs did run different jet sizes of course, as well as different jet needles, but the other parts are all interchangeable to the best of my knowledge. The only showstopper I've ever run into is if you end up with an early CV that doesn't have an accelerator pump.

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by BadMonkeyMW
      The extra tab on the throttle cable bracket was for baggers with cruise control, it held the cruise cable. The floats will swap over no problem as well as the bowls/float bowl gasket. The BT vs XL carbs did run different jet sizes of course, as well as different jet needles, but the other parts are all interchangeable to the best of my knowledge. The only showstopper I've ever run into is if you end up with an early CV that doesn't have an accelerator pump.

Thanks Ian, good info. I knew to check the jets but didn't think about the needle.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

This may be helpful:

95 and Earlier Model
        CV Carburetor Modifications
        (If you have a 1996 or later model CV carburetor...go to the 96 and later CV carburetor modification page)

Parts needed:
        27094-88 Main needle ('88 XLH part)
        27116-88 Main jet (#165)
        27170-89 Pilot or "Low speed" jet (#45)

Tools needed:
        Drill
        1/8" bit (.125 inches)
        1/16" (or approximate) bit
        Hand tools for removing and disassembling carburetor
        Good quality fine flat metal file (i.e. Nicholson)
        400 or 600 grit emery paper

CV Carburetor Modifications
        For EVO and Twin Cam engines
        With a few parts from your local Harley-Davidson Dealer and some tools, you can re-jet a CV carburetor and improve the performance of your bike.

Keihin CV Carburetor Part Numbers
        Jets and Needles
        Here is a list of Harley-Davidson part numbers for Jet Needles, Pilot Jets and Main Jets that can be used in tuning the Keihin CV carburetor.

Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-15-2020, 7:18 AM.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Sky
          • Aug 2009

Nope, you can't swap floats and float bowls around.
          Gotta stick with the same style the carb came with.
          Floats will stick in "wrong" the bowl and the bowl o-ring won't match up to the body.
          As stated above, early Sportster CVs had no accelerator pump, just a "fat" slide needle.
          There are also differences in pump cap machining. (One or two fuel passages) not sure those are not interchangeable.
          Some bowls even lack an overflow tube!
          Buell carbs had electric chokes. But maybe not all of them.
          That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;