CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Panhead 18" rim offset?

Hi all,
    not been doing much on my Pan, but last I have done is line up the rear wheel.. and I think something is not right.

I got a WM3 rim laced to a star hub, when fitting it on the bike I was finding that the tyre centre was about 1/4 too much to the right side.
    I'm using a laser level, on the photo below it shows perfectly lined up, but was not tighten up, once tight the tyre centre moves about 1/4 to the right.
    now this means it's messing up my spacing with the rear fender... the tyre sits closer to the fender on the right - if the fender centred on the frame.
    If I move the fender so I have equal spacing on either side of the tyre..... then the fender doesn't sit in the middle of the frame.

I looked at the manual and the manual says for a 18" rim the offset is 1/4"

So I got my wheel out and the offset is 1/2" (about 12mm).
    and it then makes sense, if the offset was 1/4 that means my tyre would then be 1/4 more to the left than how it sits now.

Does anyone know the width of a harley 18" rim would be as referred to in the manual?

Does anyone know if my offset should be 1/4 or not on this new rim?

reason for asking is I sent the wheel back to the company that supplied everything and laced it for me, saying I believe it's wrong and they said the WM3 rim is not as wide (it's 2.9") as the original one the manual mentions to be 1/4 so they took that in account and done 1/2 offset... and that they centred the rim to the hub, like the manual says.

I know the manual says rim centred, but wanted to double check all of this with someone else before deciding what to do.
    As can only blame offset for the tyre to be too much to the right.

by the way, its not a Vtwin frame though, its a VG frame, I purposely didn't go for vtwin because of quality. the guys at VG do a perfect replica and frames are made to order, so I'd expect for everything to be perfect with their frames.

thanks!
    JP
    Last edited by xJPx; 05-14-2020 at 4:55 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The steel Harley 18" rim that was standard in the late 30's and an option all the way 'til '63 is 3.130" outside width. Just measured one.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MOTher View Post
    The steel Harley 18" rim that was standard in the late 30's and an option all the way 'til '63 is 3.130" outside width. Just measured one.
    thank you!
    the new rim is about 74mm, or 2.913" wide..... close to 1/4 difference total width from original.

Share This