Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Justin15
    • May 2020

Buying and shipping a bike over chopcult

So I'm not new to buying a used bike, however I have never bought and shipped a bike online. What is y'alls experience doing this over chopcult? I know buying a used bike can be risky and even more so online, but is there any gurantee that when you pay you will get the bike? Or do i just have to trust the other user? I'm not looking to drop X amount of dollars and turn out empty handed and have to open up a case through something like paypal. Any tips or stories are appreciated.
  • 10scDust
    • Jan 2018

I have one experience, and it was positive.
    First research the seller, on 33, I look to see how long of a member he has been, if there are any comments in his profile that are good.
    My seller had positive reviews, my communications with him were many, before sending any payments.
    My seller used Fastenal for shipping, there was a big part at my end too; coordinating info, shipping payments, having an account with Fastenal, along with the seller having an account with them also.
    As always, it's a buyer beware world out there, and there are also a lot of good folks on here too.
    You can always inquire (solicit with post) about someone's integrity and/or reputation first.
    Mine was with Kenny Moon, I will attest on his behalf, he is an upright, good, and honest dude to deal with.

Comment

• seaking
      • Jul 2013

That's all fine. NEVER send money through the friends and family option on paypal. Just add the 4% (or whatever paypal's margin is) to the amount for the seller if they request it.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Just remember motorcycles are toys. Expensive toys you cannot personally inspect require serious faith in the seller AND that the seller know everything about the motorcycle. OTOH driving a day or two to inspect (and buy if worthy) something special enough to ship is reasonable and you can bring a trailer to retrieve it immediately.

I'd have to have an extremely compelling reason to buy a bike I couldn't inspect and the US is full of motorcycles. What is your extremely desperate reason to want to do this? I don't need to know but you should think long and hard.

Never go shopping hungry.
        Never marry what you can pimp.

Comment

• Qushiniel
          • Apr 2024

When I was moving to my new house, I transported my bike to my pick-up. I have a Ford F150, and it is big enough to transport a bike. Unfortunately, I don't have experience transporting bikes, and while I was on the road, it fell off because I didn't put it correctly. The bike was destroyed. I was mad at myself because I wanted to save some money by not using the car shipping services of a professional company. By saving some money on such a thing, I even lost more money because I had to pay a lot for reconditioning it.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2021, 5:26 AM.

Comment

• docmel
            • May 2015

Its not just a matter of shipping. Its a matter of not seeing what you are buying. Sorry, I dont do high dollar purchases on vehicles w/o seeing it. There are apprasiers that will see it and send you a report. Do a I-search for appraisers. Shipping is easy: Many companies out there

One option is have the guy send you VIDEOS of the bike sitting, starting it up, running down the road (Side shots and behind shots while riding), and again sitting when shut down after the ride. Be sure you say to include a date/time stamp in the video. Be almost a PIA in asking for them.

If the guy makes excuses, "I cant do it now", or "I dont have a video camera", then walk away. Include in the video a shot of the VIN and title. If the guy says like, "Dont want to send that info", or. "Its not registered right now or I dont have insurance", he is FOS because ANYONE selling a vehicle will take a video if a possible sell is in the works

So the above will minimize a swindler, but not ensure he will just run away with your $$

I just sold a 1971 Barracuda: Its been a while since I sold a big money vehicle: I was AMAZED at what the classic car lender did for the buyer: They sent me a link to take pics, very detailed instructions. Pics of not just the car, but the VIN, Title, etc. etc. The pics are then sent to a company that verifies they are not just internet stock footage, and also verifies the time and location the pics were taken. Pretty cool

There might be bizes out there that will do that for you, not sure

Start with the video thing. If he does it right away and FOLLOWS what you asked him to do, it is most likely a honest deal: But if he complains and makes excuses, walk away Remember, eveyone has a video camera, or knows one that has one: Its called a cell phone

Good luck

Comment

• warengren
              • Apr 2024

Shipping any motorbike or car can be pretty risky. I'm always trying to go to the place that I want to buy a car or bike from. Last time when I've done that was when I had to buy my wife a new car. I've wanted to surprise her with something special and I've started looking for a Mustang. I've found one on the other side of the country and some friends have told me about some car shipping services, but I've decided that it would be better if I were to go there by myself. And I did that and it seemed like the car wasn't properly working. I'm so glad that I've gone there in person
              Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2021, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by farmall
                OTOH driving a day or two to inspect (and buy if worthy) something special enough to ship is reasonable and you can bring a trailer to retrieve it immediately.
                Same for expensive guitars, if I can't hold it in my hands you ain't getting my coin. Of course road trips have become a lot easier now that I have retired.

FOr my current bike I rented a uhaul and drove out to Indiana for the bike. Just be willing to write off the rental if the bike is junk!

Comment

• Mirko
                  • Aug 2021

Hey there! I can understand your concerns about buying and shipping a bike online, but I actually had a great experience with it.

Comment

• docmel
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by Mirko
                    Hey there! I can understand your concerns about buying and shipping a bike online, but I actually had a great experience with it.
                    Dont trust any website, this one included................... Go in person, or have a qualified person inspect it for you, period (There are companies that will insoect it for you)

We had a member just buy a bike with a reputable auction company and got fucked over by the paperwork. And who knows how many got fucked over on mechanical issues

Look local: There has to be a bike that you want nearby that you can see, ride and see the papaerwork. I cant emphasize enough that the whole biker brotherhood thing, when it comes to buying bikes, is mostly just that: Just a thing..... That's just the world we live in now..........

Its your money, your call.............

Comment

• kestrou
                      • Oct 2021

I didn't get COMPLETELY fucked - they only put the tip in - but was more hassle and cost than it should have been...

I'll +1 to getting a pic of the title and VIN as, no matter how great the bike itself is... if you ain't got the paperwork, you really ain't got a bike!

Kevin

Comment

• Funkosia
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2023

It's better to buy with delivery on Aliexpress
                        Banned
                        Last edited by DustyDave; 01-11-2024, 4:24 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;