Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deathside23
    • Feb 2017

Brake Identification Help

Hey all, just picked up this '70 CB750 and was told it has run the same parts for the better part of a decade. Unfortunately the old timer didn't really remember much about the parts since he put it away that long ago... so I'm hoping I can get some more knowledgeable folk to help me figure out what this front brake drum is from so I can rebuild it and get this back on the road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1346690
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1346691
  • Skjoll
    • Oct 2018

If the brake plate is ~9" diameter then it's almost identical to the 70s Honda CB350 TLS drum other than the plate in your pic has tabs to lock onto the fork slider (like the Yamaha XS-1) instead of having the usual brake stay arm mounting hole. Also the CB350 drum had 36 spoke holes and the CB450 which, IIRC, was about the same size but had 40. There weren't many budget friendly drum alternatives to the serious stuff like the Grimeca or the 4LS double-sided drum from the Suzuki GT750 but the usual options were CB350, CB450, XS650 (XS-1) and the Suzuki T500 drum brakes. There should be a part number inside of the drum or plate which could help ID it.

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

If memory serves the duel leading shoe Honda brakes had a stay rod and the duel leading shoe Yamaha had the casting that locked on to the fork.
      Dusty
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• deathside23
        • Feb 2017

Awesome, thanks for the help Skjoll and Dusty. It sounds like I'm going to end up pulling this thing apart to figure out for sure. Hopefully there will be something inside that can tell for sure what I'm working with here.

Comment

• Skjoll
          • Oct 2018

I think I've narrowed it down. As mentioned previously it had characteristics of both a CB350 and a XS-1 yet it wasn't either so it probably was intended for a a light displacement Yamaha... did a search on various models that came to mind and hit upon the RD200.

Comment

• deathside23
            • Feb 2017

Hey guys managed to finally pull the front end off and crack the drum open...

Turns out its from and XS400 from the late 70s early 80s.

Thanks again for the help now to clean it and rebuild it and get back on the road

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;