CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 2002 883 Paughco Sportster Build

Hey guys, new to the forum and posting up my sportster build. My buddy and I started pulling parts together for this a while ago. This is my first ground up build. We picked up the motor in Phoenix from a dude Will and he purchased it from AE Choppers (dude making badass bikes out of Iowa). Cam cover is chopped and sandblasted. Will was awesome and hooked us up with a ton of stock parts and a front end later on. We bought a paughco frame later on (120e) and then some mag wheels. Also picked up a tank and some bars. I've never built a motorcycle from the ground up so this will be interesting. Here is the wiring diagram a plan to follow. I'll post up more pics as we get more parts and get to welding! Hopefully some of you more experienced guys can point me in the right direction, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5504.jpg   IMG_5237.jpg   IMG_5315.jpg   IMG_5502.jpg   IMG_5501.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am brand new to this Chop Cult. I too am building a 2000 XL Sportster as a first build. When I took the bike apart I did not mark the oil lines.
    One is larger inside diameter than the other. Can you tell me if that is the feed oil line or the return?

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm working on an '00 XL now.

There are three connections from oil tank to motor. The two lines at the front lower edge of the oil tank are the return line, which is 3/8 ID, and the vent line, which is 1/4 ID. The feed line comes from a tee at the left lower corner of the frame. One of the connections goes up to a 90 degree elbow, and into the front inside of the oil tank. The second connection is the drain line, and is anchored to the frame at the exhaust bracket mount. The third connection to the tee is the motor feed line, and it is 3/8 ID. It goes to the rear of the oil pump.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

The oil tank is no longer on the bike. I have Tc's oil tank bolted in it's a hardtail now. There is a oil line coming from the inside of the primary and two coming out around the cam cover. I believe the larger hose at the cam cover is the feed line and the and the smaller one at the cam cover is the return. It's the one that comes off the back of the primary that confuses me. I would send along pictures but I don't know how to use this site yet. If you would help my email is mfroats66@gmail.com I could send pictures

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim there is a line coming from the back side of the primary cover also. I think I understand what you are saying. The larger ID line that comes out from the cam cover is the feed line and the smaller ID line coming from the cam cover is the return line. I am using Tc's oil tank that has two connections on the top and one on the bottom. Bottom one would be feed and drain, top would be return and vent. If that is right again whats the line coming from the primary? I would love to send some pics but I don't know how to attach them to this post.

Get Adobe Flash player

The line coming from the primary behind the starter is the transmission/primary vent line, and just goes up under the seat and open to the atmosphere. The end should point down to keep water out.

The small line from the back of the cam cover is NOT the return line. Read my earlier post again.

Jim

Share This