Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 79Josh81
    • Jan 2019

Raking Neck on 2000 Sportster

Ok everyone, show or tell me how you raked your necks. Pictures would be cool too. I want some rake in the neck of the Sporty I just got but have never chopped into a Sportster. I have a decent amount of experience building metric hardtailed bikes but never raked a neck. I know with the xs650 a lot of guys will cut a small section out of the backbone, cut two smaller pie sections out of the down tubes, and just bend the neck back until the backbone touches again and then weld it all back together. Show me what you guys Have done with the Sportster. I just want to see what the different raking options are with these bikes.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

guessin' you saw this XL forum thread...don't know how much of a difference between a '94 and your 2000:

Chop Chop
    I am planning on raking the frame and chopping the swingarm to fit a 190. I know some of you have done this. Is there any xxxxx ups I should look out for. I got a '94 sporty hugger...

Click image for larger version

Name:	My_rake_029.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1318103

and

"Started with a 2003 1200 Custom...
    Big day, chopping into the neck. Built the frame to hold everything in place when the neck was nearly completely separated"
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-03-2020, 11:28 PM.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• 79Josh81
      • Jan 2019

I don’t think that’s one of them that I found but thanks. I’ll definitely read through it. �� Anything else you’re can find would be greatly appreciated too.

Comment

• KG
        • Dec 2012

If your going in right behind the neck Lillie pic above, there are sevral layers. The tubes are welded on and the gussets over them. Make sure u re-attach the tubes as well as the gusset.
        That’s why a lot of guys cut the tubes behind/below gussets like u were talking. You can run with out a gusset if u take the time to clean it all off...

Click image for larger version

Name:	BBA355F8-7C0F-4032-8145-9112C7B603BE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1318108

Comment

• 79Josh81
          • Jan 2019

I know in one thread I was reading I thought people were saying the tubes aren’t completely welded to the neck and that they’re just tacked and that the gussets are what actually holds them together?

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

How much rake are you wanting to add .. ??

There are raked bearing cups on the market that allows for easy installation ... No slice & dice to your frame whatsoever ...
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 79Josh81
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Dragstews
              How much rake are you wanting to add .. ??

There are raked bearing cups on the market that allows for easy installation ... No slice & dice to your frame whatsoever ...
              I was looking to add whatever enough would be to bring the front end down just a little with 8 over fork tubes. Not completely flatten it out though. Maybe 7 degrees-ish? I’m not really sure because I’ve never raked a neck or used neck cups. I couldn’t find anything over 3 degrees in cups though and I don’t think that would be enough with 8 over forks.

Comment

• rockman96
                • May 2018

Originally posted by 79Josh81
                I couldn’t find anything over 3 degrees in cups though and I don’t think that would be enough with 8 over forks.
                They make raked trees too... Easy to go back if you don't like it. There is a limit tho.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by rockman96
                  They make raked trees too...
                  Rake tree are prone to high-speed wobble !! .. ..
                  Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 79Josh81
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by rockman96
                    They make raked trees too... Easy to go back if you don't like it. There is a limit tho.
                    I know trail is going to decrease a lot with just raked trees though.

Comment

• 79Josh81
                      • Jan 2019

I was wanting to do like a raked neck cup kit and then raked trees, but when I figured out the cost I could get a brand new hardtail frame from vtwin mfg with 40 degree rake.

Comment

• KG
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by 79Josh81
                        I know in one thread I was reading I thought people were saying the tubes aren’t completely welded to the neck and that they’re just tacked and that the gussets are what actually holds them together?
                        They weld wherever there isn’t going to be a gusset directly over it. They set the gusset back so they can weld the tube and gusset at the same time.
                        At least that’s what I’ve experienced one the couple I’ve skinned.

Comment

• 79Josh81
                          • Jan 2019

Raking the neck by cutting from the bottom just looks so sketchy to me. I know it probably isn’t that bad but it just looks bad considering that cutting it that way is the same way the force of riding would want to break it.

Comment

• 79Josh81
                            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by KG
                            They weld wherever there isn’t going to be a gusset directly over it. They set the gusset back so they can weld the tube and gusset at the same time.
                            At least that’s what I’ve experienced one the couple I’ve skinned.
                            So you’re saying cut from the bottom, rake it to where you want it, and then extend, slug, and sleeve the two down tubes back together before piecing in your cut and adding your new gussets? I don’t even know how you could get a welder up in there.

Comment

• gww250
                              • Nov 2011

I can almost guarantee that what you'll put back in, if you do it right, will be stronger than what the factory did.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;