Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuntdouble
    • Oct 2011

Oil pump priming

Hello all. I’ve got a ‘95, 883 to 1200 Sportster project I’m working on and I’m wondering how long it should take to prime the oil pump? I’ve searched the forum and found all the posts about how to do it, just nothing on how long it should take. I have confirmed that the pump is working, and that there is oil at the pump headed to the filter, but I feel like I’ve been cranking this thing (in small ~8-10 sec. increments) forever. I can sort of see into the oil bag where the return line is plumbed. Should I wait until I see it returning before I try a start with spark and fuel? Thanks for the read.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

On your XL, the filter is on the pressure feed side of the pump, so you should start with a full filter. And that is a good idea when changing oil as well. Be sure you have oil at the pump, in the feed line from the tank. If you do those two things, and the pump is working, the oil lamp should turn off in just a few seconds of cranking. You can remove the spark plugs to make cranking easier on the starter motor. Without plugs, twenty or thirty seconds of cranking will not overheat the starter. You should not need to crank that long.

Forget about the return oil until you have pressure on the feed side. Then crank the motor up, and look for return oil. Depending on how much oil was in the motor to start with, the return could take a few seconds up to a couple of minutes to show up, with the motor running.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Burp the pump ...
      Last edited by Dragstews; 05-03-2020, 7:04 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• stuntdouble
        • Oct 2011

Thanks guys! Got it licked.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;