Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cimino289
    • Sep 2018

The El Paso Shovelhead build.

Picked up a 1984 shovelhead wide glide. I got it pretty cheap and the bike was quite neglected. It hasn’t ran for about 5 years. The tanks although they look good from a distance were quite dented up and for reasons that are still a mystery to me the rocker boxes were covered in JB weld or a similar material on the front and sprayed black. I began taking apart the bike I spent the better part of the day on it and was able to get it down to just the frame motor and trans. Click image for larger version

Name:	E0F58E03-8BA6-4E5F-B6C4-7D4F7E479F3E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1346676Click image for larger version

Name:	8D6C0DB5-5BDA-4F5C-92C9-4E96359865A3.jpg
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1346675
  • Cimino289
    • Sep 2018

I regret that I dont have any pictures of the bike as we were stripping it down it was quite a long day and I didnt get any pictures before we left the shop. As for the JB weld type material on the rocker boxes I was able to chip that stuff of of the rear box it came off kind of like paint chips. All of the oil had collected in the primary as well and the tank was empty but when I went to disasseble the primary I got a surprise. Its to be expected though sitting for 5 years all of the oil sumped into the motor and somehow made the cross over. Im hoping when we take the motor apart we just find that the outside is ugly the bike only has 22k original miles. Our theory behind the material on the rocker boxes is that it probably leaked near the nuts on the front of the box could have been as simple as a bad o=ring and they decided that they were gonna seal that thing up the only way they knew how.

Comment

• Cimino289
      • Sep 2018

A little back story on this bike. A Gentleman actually bought this bike new back in 1984 around 2015 he passed away and the bike passed to his son. The story goes that he didnt take it out much and that took off the pipes to replace them and he passed away. So I actually got this bike from the mans widow. Since the son never registered the bike in his name I'm technically the second owner of this machine.

Comment

• Cimino289
        • Sep 2018

Here is my general plan for the build. I'm going to send the frame off to 47 industries to get it hardtailed. After that we'll begin diving into the motor with only 22k miles I'm hoping not to find much but I've been surprised before.As far as athestically were going to run the stock wide glide that came on the bike. I'll run some ape hangers bent up by Arie Vee out in cali. I'm going to use a small belt drive and run it inside an old tin primary. Its going to be a Foot shift bike so the cowpie trans isn't a huge issue but I hear I stock panhead oil tank wont clear it so Ill probably be hunting a transmission too. That being said I'll probably have the cowpie up for sale. As far as what kind of tank I have yet to determine that. Tires will be a 21 18 combo. I'll run a juice drum in the rear. I'll make a rear fender out of an old spare tire cover you know the ring style that came apart in two pieces. And for a seat I was going to use the river seat co guys for that. It sounds like a good plan now to get it drawn out and make magic happen.

Comment

• AndyNZ
          • Apr 2014

Sounds like a good a plan to build a nice bike, will be following this one!

Comment

• Hatchet54
            • Sep 2012

Sweet, this has all the makings for a good steed. I'm a sucker for bikes with personal stories.

Comment

• Cimino289
              • Sep 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	2AFC97AE-31DB-478D-B3FE-71DADF62E8F4.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1318132 here is the front rocker box covered in what I presume is paint and JB Weld

Comment

• Cimino289
                • Sep 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	35A361FA-606D-433F-9703-A1EEC302A946.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1318133
                Here is the rear cylinder rocker box after I removed the majority of the material.

Comment

• Hatchet54
                  • Sep 2012

Yeah that's some weird shit.

Maybe he was just going for the crinkle paint look.

Comment

• markwade74
                    • Mar 2012

Dammit...some people

Comment

• DustyDave
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Cimino289
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]103052[/ATTACH] here is the front rocker box covered in what I presume is paint and JB Weld
                      Wonder if they ever sobered him up?
                      Dusty
                      Driving that train, high on cocaine
                      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Cimino289
                        • Sep 2018

Dusty you wouldnt believe it but Danny and I stared at this for a long time before we ever really guessed at what was going on.

Comment

• Cimino289
                          • Sep 2018

Either way the stuff is on there really good. Ive been trying to get it off but it isnt exactly the easiest thing in the world.

Comment

• flatman
                            • Sep 2017

maybe try a propane torch and a screw driver/putty knife?

Comment

• Cimino289
                              • Sep 2018

Honestly the torch may be the only way to go. I got most of it off with a screwdriver but we're kind of at a stop with the rear side rn.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;