CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The El Paso Shovelhead build.

Picked up a 1984 shovelhead wide glide. I got it pretty cheap and the bike was quite neglected. It hasnít ran for about 5 years. The tanks although they look good from a distance were quite dented up and for reasons that are still a mystery to me the rocker boxes were covered in JB weld or a similar material on the front and sprayed black. I began taking apart the bike I spent the better part of the day on it and was able to get it down to just the frame motor and trans. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0F58E03-8BA6-4E5F-B6C4-7D4F7E479F3E.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	103004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D6C0DB5-5BDA-4F5C-92C9-4E96359865A3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	103003

Get Adobe Flash player

I regret that I dont have any pictures of the bike as we were stripping it down it was quite a long day and I didnt get any pictures before we left the shop. As for the JB weld type material on the rocker boxes I was able to chip that stuff of of the rear box it came off kind of like paint chips. All of the oil had collected in the primary as well and the tank was empty but when I went to disasseble the primary I got a surprise. Its to be expected though sitting for 5 years all of the oil sumped into the motor and somehow made the cross over. Im hoping when we take the motor apart we just find that the outside is ugly the bike only has 22k original miles. Our theory behind the material on the rocker boxes is that it probably leaked near the nuts on the front of the box could have been as simple as a bad o=ring and they decided that they were gonna seal that thing up the only way they knew how.

Get Adobe Flash player

A little back story on this bike. A Gentleman actually bought this bike new back in 1984 around 2015 he passed away and the bike passed to his son. The story goes that he didnt take it out much and that took off the pipes to replace them and he passed away. So I actually got this bike from the mans widow. Since the son never registered the bike in his name I'm technically the second owner of this machine.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here is my general plan for the build. I'm going to send the frame off to 47 industries to get it hardtailed. After that we'll begin diving into the motor with only 22k miles I'm hoping not to find much but I've been surprised before.As far as athestically were going to run the stock wide glide that came on the bike. I'll run some ape hangers bent up by Arie Vee out in cali. I'm going to use a small belt drive and run it inside an old tin primary. Its going to be a Foot shift bike so the cowpie trans isn't a huge issue but I hear I stock panhead oil tank wont clear it so Ill probably be hunting a transmission too. That being said I'll probably have the cowpie up for sale. As far as what kind of tank I have yet to determine that. Tires will be a 21 18 combo. I'll run a juice drum in the rear. I'll make a rear fender out of an old spare tire cover you know the ring style that came apart in two pieces. And for a seat I was going to use the river seat co guys for that. It sounds like a good plan now to get it drawn out and make magic happen.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like a good a plan to build a nice bike, will be following this one!

Get Adobe Flash player

Sweet, this has all the makings for a good steed. I'm a sucker for bikes with personal stories.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AFC97AE-31DB-478D-B3FE-71DADF62E8F4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	103052 here is the front rocker box covered in what I presume is paint and JB Weld

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	35A361FA-606D-433F-9703-A1EEC302A946.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	103053
    Here is the rear cylinder rocker box after I removed the majority of the material.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah that's some weird shit.

Maybe he was just going for the crinkle paint look.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dammit...some people

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Cimino289 View Post

Name:	2AFC97AE-31DB-478D-B3FE-71DADF62E8F4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	103052 here is the front rocker box covered in what I presume is paint and JB Weld
    Wonder if they ever sobered him up?
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

Dusty you wouldnt believe it but Danny and I stared at this for a long time before we ever really guessed at what was going on.

Get Adobe Flash player

Either way the stuff is on there really good. Ive been trying to get it off but it isnt exactly the easiest thing in the world.

maybe try a propane torch and a screw driver/putty knife?

Get Adobe Flash player

Honestly the torch may be the only way to go. I got most of it off with a screwdriver but we're kind of at a stop with the rear side rn.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would seriously rethink doing anything to that bike. Check the number boss and see if that is an end of the production shovel motor . I believe they had 4 or 5 stars tattooed into the number block . That is also the last year of the 36-84 4 speed frame. Harley usually kept a leftover from the past on the new bikes . Even rarer is the 84&1/2 evo for exactly that reason. The 36-84 4 speed frame. It was the sturdier but uglier FXR frame after that . So that is a rare bike for both generations. Especially because it's a half year split .Don't believe Harley ever did that before. One of the few in a run that can actually be collectible and you bought it off the original owners so you can have documentation to boot. Especially if you can get copies of any pictures prior to your ownership.
    Last edited by 47str8leg; 05-05-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 47str8leg View Post
    I would seriously rethink doing anything to that bike. Check the number boss and see if that is an end of the production shovel motor . I believe they had 4 or 5 stars tattooed into the number block . That is also the last year of the 36-84 4 speed frame. Harley usually kept a leftover from the past on the new bikes . Even rarer is the 84&1/2 evo for exactly that reason. The 36-84 4 speed frame. It was the sturdier but uglier FXR frame after that . So that is a rare bike for both generations. One of the few in a run that can actually be collectible and you bought it off the original owners so you can have documentation to boot. Especially if you can get copies of any pictures prior to your ownership.
    Yeah it’s got the stars across the front where the numbers should be it’s an 84 truth be told I don’t care it’s getting chopped it was a deal and it has definitely seen better days. If anyone wants to buy the four speed off me it’s kinda unique because it has a longer main shaft to run a belt drive.

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	0BFB36C9-FD37-4479-B86C-34C33C679CF5.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	103110
    Well guys we got the frame ready to get shipped out. It took some elbow grease and about 3 hrs but we got her stripped down. So yeah here we are.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well I managed to get the frame shipped off to 47 industries yesterday evening. We took the engine by the car wash and sprayed it off today. Some of the JB weld managed to fall off under the pressure of the water. So I decided I would strip down the rocker boxes and get them sent to the chrome shop. Everything is starting to come together in a good direction.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3935C58-F17A-4F9B-AA97-CA95C5C749EE.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	103208
    Last edited by Cimino289; 05-09-2020 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get Adobe Flash player

Its crazy someone would cake an engine in JB weld like that. What a pain in the ass that must of been to remove it all. What kind of exhaust is in that picture above? Are those the upswept pauchgo pipes? I was thinking about getting those for my shovel. Cool bike and story man, Iíll be following.

Share This