Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

I would seriously rethink doing anything to that bike. Check the number boss and see if that is an end of the production shovel motor . I believe they had 4 or 5 stars tattooed into the number block . That is also the last year of the 36-84 4 speed frame. Harley usually kept a leftover from the past on the new bikes . Even rarer is the 84&1/2 evo for exactly that reason. The 36-84 4 speed frame. It was the sturdier but uglier FXR frame after that . So that is a rare bike for both generations. Especially because it's a half year split .Don't believe Harley ever did that before. One of the few in a run that can actually be collectible and you bought it off the original owners so you can have documentation to boot. Especially if you can get copies of any pictures prior to your ownership.
    Last edited by 47str8leg; 05-05-2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Cimino289
      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by 47str8leg
      I would seriously rethink doing anything to that bike. Check the number boss and see if that is an end of the production shovel motor . I believe they had 4 or 5 stars tattooed into the number block . That is also the last year of the 36-84 4 speed frame. Harley usually kept a leftover from the past on the new bikes . Even rarer is the 84&1/2 evo for exactly that reason. The 36-84 4 speed frame. It was the sturdier but uglier FXR frame after that . So that is a rare bike for both generations. One of the few in a run that can actually be collectible and you bought it off the original owners so you can have documentation to boot. Especially if you can get copies of any pictures prior to your ownership.
      Yeah it’s got the stars across the front where the numbers should be it’s an 84 truth be told I don’t care it’s getting chopped it was a deal and it has definitely seen better days. If anyone wants to buy the four speed off me it’s kinda unique because it has a longer main shaft to run a belt drive.

Comment

• Cimino289
        • Sep 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	0BFB36C9-FD37-4479-B86C-34C33C679CF5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1318169
        Well guys we got the frame ready to get shipped out. It took some elbow grease and about 3 hrs but we got her stripped down. So yeah here we are.

Comment

• Cimino289
          • Sep 2018

Well I managed to get the frame shipped off to 47 industries yesterday evening. We took the engine by the car wash and sprayed it off today. Some of the JB weld managed to fall off under the pressure of the water. So I decided I would strip down the rocker boxes and get them sent to the chrome shop. Everything is starting to come together in a good direction.Click image for larger version

Name:	D3935C58-F17A-4F9B-AA97-CA95C5C749EE.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1318256
          Last edited by Cimino289; 05-09-2020, 11:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• bryan83taco
            • Mar 2013

Its crazy someone would cake an engine in JB weld like that. What a pain in the ass that must of been to remove it all. What kind of exhaust is in that picture above? Are those the upswept pauchgo pipes? I was thinking about getting those for my shovel. Cool bike and story man, I’ll be following.

Comment

• Cimino289
              • Sep 2018

They're actually some cobra pipes that I had for sale. I'm probably going to put some high shotguns or some up-sweep fishtail tips. It all depends how I feel once we get the roller together.

Comment

• Davestune
                • May 2014

Originally posted by bryan83taco
                Its crazy someone would cake an engine in JB weld like that. What a pain in the ass that must of been to remove it all. What kind of exhaust is in that picture above? Are those the upswept pauchgo pipes? I was thinking about getting those for my shovel. Cool bike and story man, I’ll be following.
                Ya prolly overan oring leak lol jb weld for the what the fuck.
                I had an 84.5. It was an evo back in 84 .
                I was laughed at and told nice yamaha lol
                Then they all got one haha.
                It was a oddball year ,i never replaced the chain, itsat in a oil bath, i rode the shit outa that bike

Comment

• Cimino289
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Davestune
                  Ya prolly overan oring leak lol jb weld for the what the fuck.
                  I had an 84.5. It was an evo back in 84 .
                  I was laughed at and told nice yamaha lol
                  Then they all got one haha.
                  It was a oddball year ,i never replaced the chain, itsat in a oil bath, i rode the shit outa that bike
                  So I looked at the o-rings when I took apart to rocker boxes and they looked fine but then again I never saw the bike run. I think the guy may have been trying to black out the rocker boxes because the inside of those boxes were clean and didnt show a ton of wear. The cases are black the cylinders and heads were black and my guess is they wanted the rocker boxes black to match.

Comment

• Cimino289
                    • Sep 2018

Seeing as the 1984 came with a belt drive cowpie trans we decided to seek out a ratchet top trans. I was able to locate a 1977 trans that has been completely rebuilt so it should be in by next week. This has moved the timeline up quite a bit we are expediting some things. Click image for larger version

Name:	D66EB55B-6C92-4018-9342-2C7DFBB3E190.jpg
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1318272Click image for larger version

Name:	C3A16D85-EFDE-4675-A766-56BC1230E9AB.jpg
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1318273Click image for larger version

Name:	52ECB872-33BC-4ADA-9CCC-B8C7BC93CB64.jpg
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1318274Click image for larger version

Name:	A33A03B2-3778-4C77-A8AA-C36C4B2F38B4.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1318271

Comment

• Cimino289
                      • Sep 2018

Just an update everyone the transmission came in and looks just as good as the pictures. We took the heads off as well as the cam cone today and boy was there a ton of carbon built up on those pistons. I did have a question someone may have the answer to. The bottom end of the motor is painted in crinkle black paint is there any good way of getting that stuff off without tearing down the motor completely?

Comment

• Rhysmort
                        • May 2017

Originally posted by Cimino289
                        Just an update everyone the transmission came in and looks just as good as the pictures. We took the heads off as well as the cam cone today and boy was there a ton of carbon built up on those pistons. I did have a question someone may have the answer to. The bottom end of the motor is painted in crinkle black paint is there any good way of getting that stuff off without tearing down the motor completely?
                        I have a friend who's building a 69 genny shovel with the shame problem. He's taken the engine out, the stuff is damn hard to get off from what he's told me!

Comment

• flatman
                          • Sep 2017

aircraft paint stripper wont take it off?

Comment

• Cimino289
                            • Sep 2018

I havent tried that yet but that stuff usually takes everything off Flatman
                            Last edited by Cimino289; 05-17-2020, 3:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• DustyDave
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

dot 3 brake fluid takes wrinkle paint off without affecting the aluminum finish and cleans up with brake cleaner. Course they may have sanded it before paint. I've never tried it on JB Weld but it gets every thing else if I spill it on except powder coat, just discolors it.
                              Dusty
                              Driving that train, high on cocaine
                              Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                              Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                              And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Cimino289
                                • Sep 2018

Thanks for the tip dusty. The paint on the cases is from the factory. The FXWG came with blacked out cases and heads but the rocker boxes werent painted factory. I'll try the brake fluid before anything.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;