CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Kickstart issue

Default Kickstart issue

Hi, I just purchased a '76 kick only shovelhead last fall. I flew out to Oklahoma and rode it back to NJ. This is my first carb bike and first kickstart bike. It had major issues shifting, so I ended up replacing the clutch hub, bearings, clutch plates, pressure plate, some bolts etc.
    Couldnt start the bike over the winter cause it was too cold. Tried in the 60's and no good and now it's in the 70's and still wont start.
    It is kicking over very easily and it's hard to find the compression stroke. Before I had to put one knee on the seat and use my weight to kick it. Now I can straddle the bike and kick it over and over like nothing. It used to cough when trying to start before, now it wont even do that. There is a transparent fuel filter that doesnt look like it's getting fuel. Theres only a little dribble in there. Pic is rotated wrong.
    I took the carb apart and checked if anything was gummed up and it's fine.
    It's an s&s super B. Currently have a super E waiting to install but I want to get it running first.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200502_132055.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	102985
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200502-134215_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	102986
    Last edited by JonSparrow; 05-02-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like it's has loss some compression ..
    Might be a good idea to adjust the valves/tappets ...

You may have soild lifters in it ..

Just checked the pushrods. Rear exhaust and front intake spin freely and the other two dont move. Kicking the bike over and the pushrods do not move at all. Looks like they are hydraulic lifters and there is oil all over them.

Get Adobe Flash player

It had compression before the clutch work, right?
    Check for clutch slippage

Been sitting?
    Check the jets aren't clogged
    and fuel is fresh

Not sure it has fuel in the bowl?
    Look in the bowl
    Those automotive style paper filters expect a fuel pump's worth of pressure.
    Swap in a sintered bronze element filter, they will still flow with only gravity feed.

Pipes blue as fuck?
    Double check ignition timing

Can't tell from the pic...
    Which carb?
    What ignition?
    Last edited by Sky; 05-02-2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Clarification

Clutch slippage would make the most sense. What would cause that? If the clutch is slipping the motor wont turn over?

Get Adobe Flash player

Kicking the bike over and the pushrods do not move at all.
    Then the engine is not rotating. Re-adjust your clutch. It's common for noobs to hold their clutch in the released position by wrong adjustment.

Your factory service manual and factory parts book explain all.

Get Adobe Flash player

and I would ditch the inline fuel filter.

If im starting the bike in neutral, the clutch shouldn't matter, right?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JonSparrow View Post
    If im starting the bike in neutral, the clutch shouldn't matter, right?
    Yes the clutch needs to be engaged for the kicker to rotate the engine.
    If youíd hold in the clutch lever all you would be doing is move parts in the transmission and completely leave the motor out of the picture.

So if the clutch isnít adjusted properly it could be slipping and not turning the motor over at all, or even only slightly and it will then slip the most on the compression stroke..

And I donít recommend kick starting the bike in gear. Ever 😂

Ok little update. The pushrods are moving.
    It's still kicking very easy and doesnt seem to be getting fuel cause the filter is empty. I'll try to readjust the clutch next.

Get Adobe Flash player

You can completely unload the clutch (by ensuring zero force is applied to release it) and the kicker should work as intended. Then you can adjust the clutch as desired. Take time to fully understand how the clutch works including the release.

I would also perform a compression test so I know the actual top end condition.
    Last edited by farmall; 05-03-2020 at 2:42 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Stupid question, but you did check the petcock, right? I also vot on ditching that filter, pull the hose off the fuel inlet and route it to a container and open the petcock to make sure you are getting fuel. I spent three dsys dicking around one time before i realized I wasn't even getting fuel..

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JonSparrow View Post
    Ok little update. The pushrods are moving.
    It's still kicking very easy and doesnt seem to be getting fuel cause the filter is empty. I'll try to readjust the clutch next.
    Jon, as mentioned follow exactly the clutch adjustment procedures in the FSM. I set mine up exactly so and it works everytime.

If you don't have the manual this video is a good one https://youtu.be/VFxHt8k4_X8 the video starts out with a 5 speed FXR Shovelhead adjustment. Skip that and go to the 4 speed procedure.

Also, for now, you can put a socket/ratchet on the engine sprocket and rotate the engine there. How does compression feel? This takes the kicker/clutch out of the equation.
    Last edited by garystaven88; 05-04-2020 at 8:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelwide View Post
    Stupid question, but you did check the petcock, right? I also vot on ditching that filter, pull the hose off the fuel inlet and route it to a container and open the petcock to make sure you are getting fuel. I spent three dsys dicking around one time before i realized I wasn't even getting fuel..
    Just checked the petcock. Works good.
    I'm still healing from a broken clavicle surgery so as soon as that's better I'll check the clutch.
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. Much appreciated.

Ok good news. The clutch adjustment rod was too far in. Fixed that. Kicks normal now. Got her running for like 5 seconds before it shut off. Kicked like 20 times after that couldnt get it going again. Still healing from a surgery so that's enough for today.

Got her running. Other then the clutch adjustment rod, the plugs were fouled.

https://youtu.be/pByVeUrLAIQ

https://youtu.be/pByVeUrLAIQ

Share This