Retry of the rebuild thread for the New Phoenix (aka Brown Sugar)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WillPhelps52
    • Feb 2019

Wow. I just saw your build thread. Really nice.

I have some questions, as I am planning out a '57 bobber and still have a lot of things undecided. Basically I have an original frame, an engine and a trans.

Are your gas tanks reproduction? How many gallons, are they good quality? Where'd you get them?

Do you have some pictures of it mocked up or a link to your previous thread (since you said this was a "retry".?

The frame looks pretty good? Is it a V-Twin or someone else? Everything going together ok?

Again, really nice work. That color is really interesting. I can't wait to see it together.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
      Doom sorry to hear about your mom.

I do have a question. Is there a reason you left the neck lock?????? Other than your going to be using the neck lock??????
      I wanted the next owner of having the option to go back stock. This frames is so nice I didn't want to butcher it up. The only change I made are the welds for the seat mounts. Even though it is a repop it is nicer than any panhead frame I've ever owned.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by WillPhelps52
        Wow. I just saw your build thread. Really nice.

I have some questions, as I am planning out a '57 bobber and still have a lot of things undecided. Basically I have an original frame, an engine and a trans.

Are your gas tanks reproduction? How many gallons, are they good quality? Where'd you get them?

They are 3.5 gal repop tanks I got from Jesse aka DragStews here on the forum. He owns a bad-ass scooter shop in Florida and always knows where to get top notch parts.

Do you have some pictures of it mocked up or a link to your previous thread (since you said this was a "retry".?

I'll have to look to see if I have one of the mock ups.

The frame looks pretty good? Is it a V-Twin or someone else? Everything going together ok?

Frame is also from Dragstews, it is a Edlund frame from Europe and is about as close as you will get to a real deal. And ya everything fits well. I had a few details, like running a drill through the speedo hole, and adding a couple of holes for the belly plate but other than that it has been smooth sailing.

Again, really nice work. That color is really interesting. I can't wait to see it together.
        The color is just the base color, over the next month or so I plan to apply the contrast color and some art work to it.
        Last edited by DoomBuggy; 11-07-2021, 5:58 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
          I wanted the next owner of having the option to go back stock. This frames is so nice I didn't want to butcher it up. The only change I made are the welds for the seat mounts. Even though it is a repop it is nicer than any panhead frame I've ever owned.
          Got ya........ That makes sense........

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

Well crap, thought I had two quarts of intercoat, turns out only a partial. Now I wait for UPS....

Comment

• DoomBuggy
              • Oct 2016

Today I was able to finish the base coat on the tins and shoot a sample of the contrast color. It is my own blend of tangerine and root beer, I like the way it plays in different lights. Tomorrow, weather gods willing, I will shoot a test of the gold detail color I want to use. Then comes the final decision on design and taping. Now the fun starts.

The frame and tank setup in base:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	1321141

A close up of the gold metallic in the off white paint. Really hard to photograph indoors. It blows me away how much the color shifts in the lit spots vs the shadows.

Name:	IMG_2609.jpg
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	1321142

And the contrast color under two different lights.

Name:	IMG_2599.jpg
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	1321143

Name:	IMG_2603.jpg
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	1321144

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                • Oct 2016

Absolutely love it doom, the color looks phenomenal. At least we have some decent temps today before we touch back down tomorrow. I’ve been waiting for your next update and you definitely didn’t disappoint.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                  • Oct 2016

I think I have the main plan for the paint. Just waiting for a lighter gold color to show up as the copper color I was going to use is too dark.

Over all color scheme and design layout. I don't think I stole this directly, but like Brown Sugar, I am sure there are some old influences in here somewhere.

Name:	tank side 2.jpg
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1321196

And this is what it should look like on the tins.

Name:	Scan020.jpg
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	1321197

Name:	Scan017.jpg
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1321198

Where I am struggling is on the frame, I was originally going to go with a tribal type band, then I thought fading flames, and now I am thinking something simpler yet.

Need to get some fresh tape in the shop and see what I can come up with.
                  Last edited by DoomBuggy; 11-25-2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Tribal shit is modern not classic, and questionable on an Art Deco vehicle. It rarely works out with old motorcycles.

Cream/gold/brown is a classic color combo that would work nicely if proportioned as above. That looks great because it's clean and not overdone.

The letter font IMO needs some work as letters are often hard to pull off well.

Check out some Art Deco era classic fonts (there are MANY more on the net). A sign shop should be able to laser cut you stencils to any size if you want to do it precisely and not be constrained by tape. They can make a stack so you'll have backups and of course have their own font library to peruse.

Download beautiful, timeless Art Deco fonts for free! Get creative with a variety of elegant, vintage-style fonts perfect for any project. Give your work a modern, stylish touch with these free fonts.
                    Last edited by farmall; 11-25-2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                      • Oct 2016

Thanks dude, the lettering was temporary only. I have a stencil cutter downstairs which I used last time, so have that covered

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                        • Oct 2016

1st little bit on a tin. Lov'in the colors so far. Today I'll do the fenders & some brackets and tomorrow the tanks & frame. Because the dark color took 4 coats I'll let the oil tank set a few days before I tape out the next color. Slow, slow, slow process!

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1321283

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                          • Oct 2016

Fenders and speedo housing with second color. Nothing fancy on the fenders, just following the lines of the tombstone on the rear and will figure the front out as I get there.

Name:	IMG_0259[1].jpg
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	1321288

Name:	IMG_0260[1].jpg
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1321289

Name:	IMG_0258[1].jpg
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	1321290

The light color looks a bit funky as that area has been sanded and is flat compared to the fresh paint.

If the f'ing weather cooperates tomorrow I should be able to hit the tank and frame.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                            • Oct 2016

Looks great man, glad for the updates

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                              • Oct 2016

Well shit, spent an hour or so this morning taping out the tank, have them just where I want them.

Name:	IMG_0265[1].jpg
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	1321312

Everything going just fine, and then somehow I leaned in a little too close, and I ended up with a run, DAMN IT.

On a candy finish, there is only one thing to do...

Name:	IMG_0266[1].jpg
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	1321313

Maybe tomorrow I will sand it down and start the process over on the tanks. Sucks cause I really thought I nailed the taping of the design!!!!

I guess I could clear it and say it is a rat bike, right....
                              Last edited by DoomBuggy; 12-03-2021, 2:07 PM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                                • Oct 2016

The nice thing about the catalyzed primer is it is pretty much impervious to a light attack with lacquer thinner. SO I was able to wipe most of the paint off without disturbing the primer coat. Then a light sand with some 500 grit and I am ready to repaint the base color. I can blend the new paint with the old right under where the color change as there will be the gold color which will hide any slight differences.

Now I need the weather to get above freezing, my heater is struggling to get the garage warm enough to paint.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;