X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThatOneDad
    • Nov 2019

GS1100GK (because F you why not)

Hey guys,

I thought I would post something a little different than the xs650 that is posted all the time. (No dig on them just seen one boober/brat/cafe you have seen 99%) I traded a couple of bikes that had no value to me for this big brown turd seen here. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200309_164543.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	1346663
    The bike is the rare, but not sought after gs1100gk. This is not a chop nor anything other than a big ol touring bike that can go like stink and handle some corners.
    I did recover the torn up seat, and I waterproofed the piss out of it. Also cut down the windscreen so I could see at night.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-24.jpg
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	1346664
    Installing Marine speakers and Bluetooth amp board this weekend. Also had Tom at Deep Six Cycles make me up a set of 12inch tall strait t bars that are on the way. If you would like a set of custom bars order from Deep Six Cycles, great quality (He could charge much more than he does) and amazing communication.
    So that is about all I'm doing to the bike other than changing out incandescent bulbs for LEDs, because of the draw and 36 year old charging system. If you like it cool...if you don't cool. Its mine and I ride it. come on end times Im ready for ya.
    Thanks for checking it out and stay safe and healthy everyone.
    Last edited by ThatOneDad; 05-01-2020, 7:46 AM.
  • Hatchet54
    • Sep 2012

That's a hell of a first post my man. Think you're in the right place. Welcome.

Comment

• markwade74
      • Mar 2012

2 is 2 no matter how you look at it

Comment

• ThatOneDad
        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Hatchet54
        That's a hell of a first post my man. Think you're in the right place. Welcome.
        Thank you. I have been poking around on here for years. Lot of really skilled and really good people on this forum.

Comment

• ThatOneDad
          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by markwade74
          2 is 2 no matter how you look at it
          You must not have kids in primary school. because 2 is like 12 minus 10.

Comment

• ThatOneDad
            • Nov 2019

Any thoughts on with lowers on front fairing or without? cant decide if it looks to big and bulbous upfront with out the lowers on.

Comment

• 1954bmw
              • Mar 2015

How hard are they to get on and off, they will keep your upper legs warmer riding when it's cold out. Shaft or chain???

Comment

• Hatchet54
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ThatOneDad
                Any thoughts on with lowers on front fairing or without? cant decide if it looks to big and bulbous upfront with out the lowers on.
                Looking too big and bulbous on that bike? Nahhhhhh

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/forum.php is useful for any GS enthusiast. GS series are plentiful and dirt cheap used except for a very few models.

They're basically bulletproof and upgrade stators and regulators are available.

Comment

• DustyDave
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by farmall
                    https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/forum.php is useful for any GS enthusiast. GS series are plentiful and dirt cheap used except for a very few models.

They're basically bulletproof and upgrade stators and regulators are available.
                    About 80% of GS stators that read open just need the crappy wires that run through the side cover replaced.
                    Dusty
                    Driving that train, high on cocaine
                    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Good to know. I daily'ed a GS 750 for several years but it was problem free and we didn't have any customer GS stator failures I know of.

Much Jap wire of the era sucked (LOVE the corrosion beneath the insulation even on minor accessory wiring!).

Comment

• ThatOneDad
                        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by 1954bmw
                        How hard are they to get on and off, they will keep your upper legs warmer riding when it's cold out. Shaft or chain???
                        there are 4 screws each side and its a shafty. it take about 30 secs to get both lowers off. it does keep your legs warm when its colder. rode it the mid 50s in a short sleeve and wasnt cold. How ever in high 60's and up its likea Fing oven at a stop.

Comment

• ThatOneDad
                          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by DustyDave
                          About 80% of GS stators that read open just need the crappy wires that run through the side cover replaced.
                          Dusty
                          this is my 5th Suzuki of this era and probably 10th bike I have owned from the late 70s early 80's I just sprat any half electrical connection with contact cleaner than use some dielectric grease or battery protector on them. I think I have only had 1 RR fail on me. (I have been lucky and all but a couple have had electronic ignition..I hate points)

Comment

• ThatOneDad
                            • Nov 2019

Bars from Deep Six Cycles look great. Got them installed. Luckily the old bars had so much pull back and were so wide that I just had to reroute cable and brake line.

Comment

• ThatOneDad
                              • Nov 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200505_193114.jpg
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	1318171Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200505_193114.jpg
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	1318171