Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1986SportyMike
    • Apr 2020

How to change threaded ends of a throttle cable

I just bought a bolt well whiskey throttle and the ends of my throttle cables don’t match the size on the throttle. How do I get the ones on my throttle cable off and the ones provided on? Does this require the soldering method I’ve seen on here? My ends appear to be clip-in-cable ferrules. I appreciate the help
  • Matt31266
    • Jan 2019

Have you fixed this yet? What bike are you putting this on? The supplied ferrules should enable you to put this on just about anything, I put one on my ‘95 softail. Give more info, I’m unclear as to what the problem is.

Comment

• 1986SportyMike
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Matt31266
      Have you fixed this yet? What bike are you putting this on? The supplied ferrules should enable you to put this on just about anything, I put one on my ‘95 softail. Give more info, I’m unclear as to what the problem is.
      I think I have. I was unclear wether or not the ferrules provided were to use as adapters with my ferrules or if I was supposed to replace my ferrules with the ones given.

Comment

• Matt31266
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by 1986SportyMike
        I think I have. I was unclear wether or not the ferrules provided were to use as adapters with my ferrules or if I was supposed to replace my ferrules with the ones given.
        Replace, if the one on your stock cable doesn’t screw into the housing. Tip- don’t tighten too much, these things are delicate, I wasn’t paying attention and over-tightened and sheared that thing right off. Luckily, Biltwell is cool as fuck and sent me a zip full of ferrules a couple days later despite being “out of stock” on their site. Anyhow- that all being said, you good?

Comment

• 1986SportyMike
          • Apr 2020

Alright I’m back to the same predicament then. How the hell do I get my ferrule off? It just spins freely and even if it did screw off the end of the cable little ball would keep it from coming all the way off.

Comment

• Matt31266
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by 1986SportyMike
            Alright I’m back to the same predicament then. How the hell do I get my ferrule off? It just spins freely and even if it did screw off the end of the cable little ball would keep it from coming all the way off.
            Yea, it was hard to see in your pic, but I was suspecting that might be the case. You still haven’t said what kind of bike this is, so I have no idea. Biltwell provides a variety of ferrules to make this basically a universal fit, the fact that it isn’t working for you makes me think the cables you’re working with are not stock cables. You may need new cables. I had stock ‘95 flstn cables and it was dead obviously how to install this thing.

Either that or see if your ball end will fit through one of the provided ferrules, and if so, use some tough clippers to cut off the ferrule that’s on currently on it.

Comment

• 1986SportyMike
              • Apr 2020

Yea, it was hard to see in your pic, but I was suspecting that might be the case. You still haven’t said what kind of bike this is, so I have no idea. Biltwell provides a variety of ferrules to make this basically a universal fit, the fact that it isn’t working for you makes me think the cables you’re working with are not stock cables. You may need new cables. I had stock ‘95 flstn cables and it was dead obviously how to install this thing.

Either that or see if your ball end will fit through one of the provided ferrules, and if so, use some tough clippers to cut off the ferrule that’s on currently on it.
              Sorry, it’s an 86 sportster 883 XLH. The cables are ss braided so I assume aftermarket. It has an S&S carb as well. The ball will fit through the new holes but I’m wondering how the ferrule with the smooth side will “Attach” to the stainless steel tube that the current one just rotates on. I can take some more pics when I get home. I appreciate the help.

Comment

• 1986SportyMike
                • Apr 2020

I have attached a picture that I hope provides some clarity. I dont think I can get any pliers up under the lip of the Ferrule

Comment

• metalheart28
                  • Feb 2014

That end is crimped on that tube and the cable is slid through that end and then the cable end is put on. If you want to get that off you'll have to cut off the end of the cable and solder on a new one. I have a little steel shot glass that has solder in the bottom of it that i melt with a torch and dip the new brass end in on the cable for a couple seconds. I picked up a variety pack of brass ends so I can make whatever cable I need. It works really well. I've made lots of cables like this without issue.
                  Last edited by metalheart28; 05-05-2020, 8:58 AM.

Comment

• 1986SportyMike
                    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by metalheart28
                    That end is crimped on that tube and the cable is slid through that end and then the cable end is put on. If you want to get that off you'll have to cut off the end of the cable and solder on a new one. I have a little steel shot glass that has solder in the bottom of it that i melt with a torch and dip the new brass end in on the cable for a couple seconds. I picked up a variety pack of brass ends so I can make whatever cable I need. It works really well. I've made lots of cables like this without issue.
                    Thanks for the reply, how does a new end go on? is it with a special tool to crimp it on? How does the current one come off? pry it off? Sorry, this whole thing is new to me.

Comment

• metalheart28
                      • Feb 2014

I dont think you'd find a new end to put one that tube. Since you're not to familiar I'd just find a new cable that has the right end on it.

Comment

• metalheart28
                        • Feb 2014

This month’s DIY 101 comes in two parts: installing our Whiskey throttle, and installing grips. Our Whiskey Throttle is compatible with a wide range of different model year Harley-Davidson and select aftermarket cables, but as with all custom motorcycle parts, trouble-free installation and retrofitment is never guarant

Comment

• 1986SportyMike
                          • Apr 2020

Thank you, I think I have it figured out now. I appreciate it!

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                            • Jan 2015

Those kits are supposed to come with adapters that fit nearly all years/styles of harley throttle cable. You thread your end into appropriate adapter. Should not have to remove anything from your cable unless it's an oddball.

Comment

• 1986SportyMike
                              • Apr 2020

They did, it’s so weird. I’ve even emailed biltwell and they never said that. That’s how I currently have it set up and that was my plan. Thank you so much for commenting!Click image for larger version

Name:	A6071809-80C1-44DD-919B-528A886E89DE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1318343
                              Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;